Sponsored by:

Experienced car purchasers

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 01:29 AM
Icantdrive55
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced car purchasers

Hi folks, I’m hoping to solicit some guidance from other forum members that have purchased out of state vehicles in a private party sale. My situation: I just won an eBay auction for a 2006 C4S Cab…Im in CT and the seller is a private party in upstate NY with a clear title in hand. What I’d like to do is fly up to meet the seller, make sure the car is legit, make the purchase and drive it home to CT. I’ve read up on NY process for selling a vehicle and also CT process for registering a vehicle, but my biggest question is how do I get a temp license registration to legally drive the car back to CT? The CT DMV site states that to get a temp plate I need to go to a location in person and register the car and present an original Title signed over to me, but since I doubt the seller is going to sign over the title until I pay him (which I want to do after inspecting the vehicle) it seems I have a chicken and egg situation. Any advice on how to handle the situation?
Old 02-20-2023, 08:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

There's not a grace period where you can drive a newly acquired car with the bill of sale and proof of insurance?

I have a pre-arrsnged PPI, fly to where the car is, do the PPI, and if all checks out, the seller and I go to the local branch of my bank where he signs over the title and I withdraw the funds and have a cashier's check produced for him. He knows it's legit because we're doing it at the bank and banks have notaries if your state requires the title or bill of sale be notarized. I produce in advance 3 copies of a Bill of Sale so I have one to leave with the seller, one I can surrender to the DMV for a new title, and one to keep for my records.

I've never bought an eBay car though and believe you're under contract to take it regardless of what the PPI shows.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:07 AM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

Perhaps not the answer that you want, but I do what @Petza914 suggests. With a contiguous state, I would pull a CT plate from one of your cars, fly to NY, transact, put the plate on, and drive home. You’ll have the title and the bill of sale. If you get pulled over, show the papers and just ask for forgiveness. The critical item is to insure the car in case you get into an incident. Have proof of insurance with you. I’ve done this a few times. Drive normal and the likelihood of being pulled over is remote.

Congrats on the car!
The following 2 users liked this post by SeanPatrick31:
linderpat (02-21-2023), maplefrm (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:25 AM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I suggest that you call your Department of Motor Vehicles and ask them if they issue a trip permit. This link contains information on the process in Virginia.

I expect the process varies slightly by state, but I would be surprised if they didn't have some system in place.

Good luck with your new (to you) car.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I've driven from PA to SC, MI to SC, KY to SC, FL to SC, & VA to SC with no plate on the back of a ccarafter buying one and never even been stopped. I would not put a plate for a different car on the car - that's actually against the law and might create more problems than it avoids. Police know people buy cars. If you get stopped tell them you just purchased the car, show them the signed bill of sale from today or yesterday, the proof of insurance you've already set up on the car and you'll be on your way.

Last edited by Petza914; 02-20-2023 at 09:35 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Petza914:
Kodos9865 (02-20-2023), linderpat (02-21-2023), SeanPatrick31 (02-20-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:53 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean L.
Perhaps not the answer that you want, but I do what @Petza914 suggests. With a contiguous state, I would pull a CT plate from one of your cars, fly to NY, transact, put the plate on, and drive home. You’ll have the title and the bill of sale. If you get pulled over, show the papers and just ask for forgiveness. The critical item is to insure the car in case you get into an incident. Have proof of insurance with you. I’ve done this a few times. Drive normal and the likelihood of being pulled over is remote.

Congrats on the car!
This exactly.....unregistered is a ticket. No insurance is a misdemeanor and mandatory Tow in NY.

Title, insurance and a plate from one of your vehicles. Drive like a normal human and you will be fine.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:08 AM
fastb4ck
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 112 Posts

I've bought cars from all over the country, I just drive them back without a plate, as long as you have a bill of sale/title signed over to you and insurance, it should be fine. I've never gotten pulled over, even driving back from South Carolina to Chicago, another from FLorida to Chicago. I know that most states have a grace period...IL has 30 days for you to register the car, Indiana has 45 days etc.

Just 2 months ago a gentleman from MN came to buy a car of mine, I had the plates off already and he took it for a test drive...we got pulled over but as soon as we said, "he's buying the car and test driving it", the cop was like "oh sorry about that, you guys are good"...didn't ask for ID's, registration, insurance, nothing.

If you get pulled over with the wrong plates, it's probably worse than being pulled over with no plates and proper documentation.

Last edited by fastb4ck; 02-20-2023 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 10:15 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Another option might be to ask seller to leave his plate on the car for the trip home and Fed Ex it back to him. Have done this multiple times just make sure you have your own insurance.
The following 3 users liked this post by Feld:
Kodos9865 (02-20-2023), SeanPatrick31 (02-20-2023), soundbehindyou (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 10:19 AM
Sajan
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 179 Posts

When I drove the car from Phoenix to Texas, I too was nervous about not having a temp plate. So I took one of my old Texas plates and slapped it on there and behaved all the way home.
I figured it will attract less attention from cops and others (if I had to park it a hotel parking lot overnight).

Legal? most likely not but you got to do what you what to do.

I would absolutely do it the right way if there was an easy way to get a temp plate without jumping through hoops.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:58 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Echo drive with no plates. I’ve had cops behind me and no issues. Got pulled over once with no plate and cop didn’t even ask about it. Your insurance should automatically cover you but good to call them upon purchase before the drive home. You can ask seller to leave plate, but he may not. I got burned once leaving plate on car and got stuck with red light cam ticket. I now clearly state in ad will remove plate upon sale.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:04 AM
IX1199VII
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
This exactly.....unregistered is a ticket. No insurance is a misdemeanor and mandatory Tow in NY.

Title, insurance and a plate from one of your vehicles. Drive like a normal human and you will be fine.
Yup. I've done this a few times.
Be good-------Drive it like it's not a Porsche.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:27 AM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean L.

Congrats on the car!
I tried this approach when I travelled from my home state of TN to take delivery of my 911 in NJ. It all worked out fine until I was stopped for speeding on Skyline Dr in VA. The Federal LEO that stopped me explained that he could be inclined to believe the car had been stolen and that the correct protocol would have been for me to obtain a temp tag issued by the St of NJ. I suppose he was put at ease by the signed title and proof of insurance I presented along with my extremely apologetic demeanor. Rather than impound the car as was his right and make me appear before a judge two days later, he took mercy on me and sent me off with a stern warning (in addition to the speeding ticket...). Considering how pissed off he was at my recorded speed, I consider myself extremely lucky.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:55 AM
fastb4ck
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 112 Posts

Also I just googled this, it looks like all the info is right here for CT when purchasing a car out of state.

https://portal.ct.gov/dmv/vehicle-se...language=en_US
Old 02-20-2023, 12:57 PM
Icantdrive55
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastb4ck
Also I just googled this, it looks like all the info is right here for CT when purchasing a car out of state.

https://portal.ct.gov/dmv/vehicle-se...language=en_US
I really appreciate everyone's help on this. I did browse the CT DMV site and also NY DMV site and NY stipulates that you have to get a NY temp registration when purchasing a vehicle in NY and CT states you need to get a CT temp registration. So a bit of conflicting info, though I am sure either one would suffice. Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-20-2023, 03:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Regarding the actual "purchase", on an Ebay transaction prior to putting $$ in sellers hand, and as I mentioned in your other Thread, I suggest you fly up and check the car out w/PPI & Bore Scope Insp before handing over any $$ to seller.

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-20-2023 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Experienced car purchasers