Received 76 Likes on 32 Posts

Great work
The following users liked this post:
Hatzenbach (03-01-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 09:08 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,876 Likes on 2,884 Posts

Nice job! Just as nice as the Dash Clock hack for a few years ago!

Hatzenbach (03-01-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:13 AM
GC11
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done, Hatzenbach. Your work is very impressive.
I did something similar with my 987.2 about 11 years ago. I used the Porsche switch internals in the VW case. I bought an automatic headlight box with the light sensor from eBay to control the lights by applying a negative signal to the main beam wire in the plug in the back of the switch. I added a diode from the main beam wire to the parking lights wire so that my PCM would light up.
I have always wondered why Porsche never developed the firmware given that the hardware is already present. The overhead LED responds to ambient light using the light sensor in the centre of the dashboard. I have taken ithe overhead light console apart and tested it. It is positively switched. The wire is probably available under the dashboard somewhere. My setup has been reliable but if I was to do it again I would utilise the existing hardware.

Last edited by GC11; 03-03-2023 at 09:15 AM.
Hatzenbach (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 10:21 AM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

Just installed my hack from Hatzenbach a few days ago.

Easy install and clear instructions, also needed that extension cord.

So far it’s working as intended!
Hatzenbach (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 01:13 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by GC11
Well done, Hatzenbach. Your work is very impressive.
I did something similar with my 987.2 about 11 years ago. I used the Porsche switch internals in the VW case. I bought an automatic headlight box with the light sensor from eBay to control the lights by applying a negative signal to the main beam wire in the plug in the back of the switch. I added a diode from the main beam wire to the parking lights wire so that my PCM would light up.
I have always wondered why Porsche never developed the firmware given that the hardware is already present. The overhead LED responds to ambient light using the light sensor in the centre of the dashboard. I have taken ithe overhead light console apart and tested it. It is positively switched. The wire is probably available under the dashboard somewhere. My setup has been reliable but if I was to do it again I would utilise the existing hardware.
Thank You!
love the idea, when it gets warmer I need to check that out
GC11 (03-04-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 06:24 PM
Ale-Superbike
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ben fatto, Hatzenbach. Il tuo lavoro è davvero impressionante.
Ho fatto qualcosa di simile con il mio 987.2 circa 11 anni fa. Ho usato gli interni dell'interruttore Porsche nel caso VW. Ho acquistato da eBay un faro automatico con sensore di luce per controllare le luci applicando un segnale negativo al filo della luce abbagliante nella spina sul retro dell'interruttore. Ho aggiunto un diodo dal filo del raggio principale al filo delle luci di parcheggio in modo che il mio PCM si accendesse.
Mi sono sempre chiesto come mai Porsche non abbia mai sviluppato il firmware visto che l'hardware è già presente. Il LED in alto risponde alla luce ambientale utilizzando il sensore di luce al centro del cruscotto. Ho smontato la console della plafoniera e l'ho testata. È commutato positivamente. Il cavo è probabilmente disponibile sotto il cruscotto da qualche parte. La mia configurazione è stata affidabile, ma se dovessi rifarlo utilizzerei l'hardware esistente.

Ciao puoi scrivere piu' info sulla tua modifica ?
GC11 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 08:16 AM
GC11
AutoX

Ciao Ale-Superbike. I am literate in Italian but will stick to English. It was a long time ago so I have forgotten the finer details and may make mistakes.
I bought from eBay an automatic headlight circuit for around $10. It had a similar light sensor to that shown on Hatzenbach’s setup. The circuit has an adjustable resistor to vary the sensitivity. It also has an adjustable time delay before switching the lights on or off.
I used the onboard relay to supply a negative signal to the harness that plugs into the back of the headlight switch.
The negative signal went to pin 1(red wire??) or pin 2(yellow/red wire??). I think pin 2. Like I said, it was a long time ago and I have all the wiring wrapped. From there I used a 1N4002 diode to also apply a negative signal to pin 3(grey/grey?) otherwise the PCM will not light up.
I bought the VW switch that Hatzenbach shows but replaced the circuit with that from the Porsche. It goes straight in without modifications but it is not necessary. It is only to say Auto instead of Home.
It all functions as expected as if it was factory fitted including the fog lights etc.
What I mentioned in my post was using the overhead LED ambience light to do the same thing as the extra electronic box and light sensor. You could use a solid state relay or a logic switch to change from the positive to a negative switching signal. That way there would not be anything visible and it could be simpler.
Please note, I am only a long retired hobbyist and not an electronics engineer, so am not an authority on these things.
Diagram is courtesy of this thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...uts-geeks.html

Last edited by GC11; 03-06-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:48 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Hey @GC11 what do you mean with the "overhead ambient light"? I first thought you meant the light sensor in the middle of the dash forward of the SportChrono wart, but it sounds like that's not what you actually mean
Old 03-06-2023, 04:05 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Hey @GC11 what do you mean with the "overhead ambient light"? I first thought you meant the light sensor in the middle of the dash forward of the SportChrono wart, but it sounds like that's not what you actually mean
Nevermind, I re-read your orginal post, and now understand what you mean:
"The overhead LED responds to ambient light using the light sensor in the centre of the dashboard. I have taken ithe overhead light console apart and tested it. It is positively switched."
GC11 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 05:57 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Hmmmm,

the part that I thought was a light sensor is actually an air temperature sensor:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/PO-99765325100
GC11 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 06:59 PM
GC11
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Hmmmm,

the part that I thought was a light sensor is actually an air temperature sensor:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/PO-99765325100
The diagram is misleading. It is also a light sensor that is used for Home lighting and the tiny overhead LED. They only work in the dark. If for example, you turn the ignition to the On position, you can shine a bright light onto the ‘air temperature sensor’ and the overhead LED will switch itself off, presuming that you are in the dark. My iPhone torch was enough.

Last edited by GC11; 03-06-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:10 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

I stand corrected, it's called a "sun sensor" in the wiring diagram, so I guess it's actually detecting light and not temperature

GC11 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 09:28 PM
GC11
AutoX

Hatzenbach, it is handy that you have the wiring diagram. If you can pick up the positive wire to the overhead LED in a more accessible location it may be even easier. We will probably never know, but I wonder if given that all the hardware is present, the ability to have automatic lights is already in the firmware, just waiting to be activated? Years ago, I asked my dealer if they could activate it with PIWIS but they said that it was not an option.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:05 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Hatzenbach, it is handy that you have the wiring diagram. If you can pick up the positive wire to the overhead LED in a more accessible location it may be even easier. We will probably never know, but I wonder if given that all the hardware is present, the ability to have automatic lights is already in the firmware, just waiting to be activated? Years ago, I asked my dealer if they could activate it with PIWIS but they said that it was not an option.
With overhead LED you mean the one at the bottom of the mirror? Mine stopped working a while ago. And since LEDs don't break I'm afraid that something else is broken...
I'm thinking to to tap directly into the circuit for the sensor and just measure voltages when there's light outside and when it's dark.
Then I can add a Schmitt-Trigger (or something like that) to send a signal to the headlight circuit, it has to be something with very high impedance as not to distort the signal and confuse the ECU.
GC11 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 01:33 AM
GC11
AutoX

That is the one. It is in the same unit as the two courtesy down lights and switches. It barely casts any light and the brightness is adjustable in the PCM when you have Sport Chrono or the Sport switch and software option. If your Home lighting responds to the light conditions then you at least know that the sensor part of the circuit functions.

Last edited by GC11; 03-07-2023 at 03:04 AM.
Hatzenbach (03-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Automatic headlights in a 997 "hack"