997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird oil level display - all white

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023 | 01:59 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

He has a 997.2. Isn’t that easy to replace the sensor?…it’s on the underside of the oil pan, no?
Old 01-25-2023 | 02:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
He has a 997.2. Isn’t that easy to replace the sensor?…it’s on the underside of the oil pan, no?
Oh, maybe. Didn't realize it was a .2.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
Carreralicious (01-25-2023), Summerjack (01-28-2023)
Old 01-25-2023 | 02:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 186K miles

Your assumption that removing .5 quart should have made under the line may not be correct. Your car may have been overfilled by more than that. There will be a point of overfill that will trip a light on your dash, but I am not sure anyone here knows what volume of oil will do that. BTW, the car is extremly sensitive to not being level. I only check the oil in my garage... I tried everywhere one day... at a long redlight, gas station, Home Despot parking lot etc etc etc... and the readings were wildly different.

Regarding the sensor in the oil pan.... well, I have been threatening to replace mine for years but just never bothered. In short, my sensor can be wonky.... Last month after an oil change, when the oil was warm again, the sensor said the car was like less than half... I know that was wrong. If you pull on the wand again, it will now count down from 4 seconds... and sure enough it went up one bar... then I pulled the wand again, and it went up another bar. Why? I dunno... it is just wonky. If I didn't know it was wonky, I would have added another quart and then discovered an over-fill condition.... I know this because I did it once.

This wonkiness is why many of us measure the oil out, and put in that amount again. Then run the car and check the oil each day until we are sure how much more to add... maybe a quart, maybe less.

How to get oil out of a .2 car? Well the only way I know is to pull the drain plug. I tried a few methods such as ramming some clear vinyl tubing down the oil fill hole and the oil filter holes and that quickly bottoms out into something hard and it ain't oil. I guess it is just ungodly to be ramming your tube into holes where it doesn't belong.

So... if it were me, I would consider if the car uses oil or not. If it uses oil, I would not worry about it. If the car does not use oil, I would drain and re-fill. Actually, given I don't like to worry, I would fix it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-26-2023 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
anewman (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023 | 11:06 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For a .2, the oil sender is 948 606 150 00 note that it is pretty small.

OEM part at Pelican is $72 https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...606-150-00-M44

Sunset Porsche has it for $102 https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...or-94860615000

Always confirm before you order, I may have made a mistake.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-26-2023 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JAB_997 (01-28-2023)
Old 01-26-2023 | 11:23 AM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Default oil sensor info

Bruce - THANKS! On the 997.2 the labor is modest for this install, which would be in the oil pan?

Charlie
Old 01-26-2023 | 11:26 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henkinc
Bruce - THANKS! On the 997.2 the labor is modest for this install, which would be in the oil pan?

Charlie
I have not done it but jack up the car, drain the oil, and just remove it... you will see it.

Peace
Old 01-26-2023 | 06:14 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Default all is well- drained a bit more oil

Weird but seems a total of 0.6 or 0.7 qt. less than 3.9 recommended allows the sender to work fine. Never was this sensitive before but anyway, all is well. I'll measure it again on a hot day of course.
Charlie
Old 01-26-2023 | 07:10 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So this is timely...... two weeks ago, I added less than .5 quart and was one bar less than full (one empty space under the full line)... checking it at least twice and got the same reading. I just checked the oil today and it is dead flat on the bottom line!! Oh really? I blew threw a quart of oil in two weeks? Nope...

This is really annoying.... so I added less than .5 quart.... let's see what it will measure tomorrow. Sheesh.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-26-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2023 | 12:47 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Default Bruce's annoying situation

Bruce - I see you have high mileage. My car has 46k miles and uses zero oil between changes. The sender anomaly is weird but in the end might have ben due to too much oil put in at the beginning. Who knows.
How did yours look today? Is t possible you are using oil at high mileage?

Charlie
Old 01-27-2023 | 06:03 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So with .5 quart added, I went from flat low to back to one bar down. My owner's manual denotes one bar is equal to .42 quarts.... so assuming I added exactly .5 (using the nubs on a LiquiMoly bottle and a Sharpie slash).... well I guess it is possible that if I was at the top top of the empty range, I would have lit up two bars and now being at the bottom bottom of the second bar. I doubt it.... but OK, whatever.

BTW, min to max is 1.3 quarts per my manual.

I am not sure how much oil I use now at 186K miles. When the car was new to me at 26K, it used maybe 1.5 quarts in 5K miles.... then oil consumption steadily went down to just under 1 quart per 5K miles and stayed that way for 90-100K miles, then... it kinda just bumped up to maybe 1.25 quarts per 5K miles and has held steady there. It is really tough to say even after all these miles... I am so wary of that sensor, that I check the oil quite often and usually add in .5 quart increments... sort of. The pan is flat and with its large surface area, apparently the sensor does not have to be long... being short makes it sensitive in general and very sensitive to slight canting so says my little brain.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-27-2023 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2023 | 06:34 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Default oil consumption

Prett darn good for 186k Mile car! I change oil every two years so maybe 4k miles and there is no consumption I can measure (car low mileage), but your 1 qt every 4000 miles is super.
Charlie
Old 01-27-2023 | 07:13 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henkinc
Prett darn good for 186k Mile car! I change oil every two years so maybe 4k miles and there is no consumption I can measure (car low mileage), but your 1 qt every 4000 miles is super.
Charlie
Actually, what I gather about these cars is that they are consistent over time and miles. If there is change, that usually is not good and that change tends to accelerate.

Peace
Old 01-27-2023 | 09:52 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

When I had 20k miles on my 2011 C2S it started producing a puff of oil smoke at startup. I changed the air/oil separator and that
took care of the problem. I always filled it to the recommended level at oil changes. Now I'm filling to one segment less than full,
and will see if that makes a difference. Is there a possibility that that the full mark is actually overfilling enough to contaminate the
air/oil separator? I only put on about 1 thousand miles/yr and never notice a change in oil level - am using LiquiMoly 5W40 and it
is changed every winter before storage.
Old 01-28-2023 | 09:19 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
So with .5 quart added, I went from flat low to back to one bar down. My owner's manual denotes one bar is equal to .42 quarts.... so assuming I added exactly .5 (using the nubs on a LiquiMoly bottle and a Sharpie slash).... well I guess it is possible that if I was at the top top of the empty range, I would have lit up two bars and now being at the bottom bottom of the second bar. I doubt it.... but OK, whatever.

BTW, min to max is 1.3 quarts per my manual.
Bruce in Philly
Update: I just added .5 pint... maybe a tad more... that is 1/4 quart. So.... total over the last few days, I added .75 quarts... maybe a tad more. This took me from flat on the empty bar to now top ful bar. WTF..... I know I put less than 1 quart and went from empty to full.

I suspect.... just suspect... that our senders tend to error lower when low... this may explain why we have so many over fill situations on this board. I am pretty sure that when mine read bottom line, it wasn't. I tend to keep my car above 1/2... Maybe.

Sheesh.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-28-2023 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: weird oil level display - all white