And the problems just multiply

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 03:52 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
Default And the problems just multiply

Just venting.

So after all new front suspension done by me I still thought I heard a clunk (different story)
Called the dealer on a sat - talked to the SA - couple weeks ago. He said tow the car to them and they will check it out. Towed the car on Sunday. Monday get a call from another SA asking why the car is there. I tell him and told them no rush. Got a call today - car is flooded and battery is dead. They think the immobilizer is bad and needs a new battery.

This car is gonna be the death of me.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:54 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 249 Posts

Flooded? Yikes. Hang in there, man. It's worth it all in the end. Just keep thinking of the drives.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Just venting.
So after all new front suspension done by me I still thought I heard a clunk (different story)
Called the dealer on a sat - talked to the SA - couple weeks ago. He said tow the car to them and they will check it out. Towed the car on Sunday. Monday get a call from another SA asking why the car is there. I tell him and told them no rush. Got a call today - car is flooded and battery is dead. They think the immobilizer is bad and needs a new battery.
This car is gonna be the death of me.
What do you mean by "Car is flooded"??
Whats the cars history?
Did you get a PPI & Bore Scope Inspection done before purchasing?
Are you qualified to do the suspension work properly?

These are important questions and directly factor into the level of enjoyment and what to expect during your ownership.

Last edited by groovzilla; 01-19-2023 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:29 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 306 Likes on 180 Posts

water flooded or gas flooded? does the latter even happen with dfi engines?
Old 01-19-2023, 06:11 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Sorry. Had the car for years. Bought it CPO with 5k mikes. It's an 09 careers 4 cabriolet.

I mad e awhile post about the suspension a while back and didn't want to re live it

Car was parked outside at the dealer for the last few weeks and we have had lots of rain

Drivers footwell had water intrusion. I keep the drains clear but who knows.

He thinks the immobilizer under the seat sits up a little on a pedestal compared to the 996 and may be ok.

And am I qualified to do suspension work? Heck no. But I did it anyway. The problem I had was the front right bearing was frozen. And one of the strut mounts was corroded onto the shock. So I replaced the shocks, bearings, strut mounts, control arms and inner and out tie rods.

And still has a gentle thunk. Was actually hoping the dealer could tell me if I was crazy or not.

Engine is perfect

PDK went caput because of a leak so the trans is new.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:31 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Update. Blocked cowel drain. $2000 for the dry out and immobiler replacement and programming.

All the money I saved doing the suspension myself is now out the window.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:42 PM
bls72bmw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car was flooded while at a dealership, isn't that their insurance issue? OR your insurance company's issue? I mean, sounds like a possible nightmare with electrical issues going forward. Call your insurance company, get it totaled, then buy it back!
Old 01-19-2023, 10:02 PM
Dragon997
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry to hear that happened to your 997.2. Seen some recent posts about water intrusion on CA cars being parked outside during the record rainfall they’ve experienced and how to check the cowl drains to make sure they’re clear of leaves, twigs, and other crap that will eventually cause water to overflow into the interior floor and cause havoc to sensitive electronics. They’re easy to check (takes less than 5 minutes).
The following users liked this post:
Happy2th (02-07-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 09:44 AM
frybear
Pro

Received 215 Likes on 135 Posts

Hate to hear about this. Not that this helps at all but maybe if you ever have to park outside again during heavy rain, a tarp over it? I know, probably not going to help as much as I think unless it's really tied onto the roof of the car...
Old 01-20-2023, 09:55 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

I'm going to call ins and see what they say.

When it's don't I think it's moving to Florida where the top can just stay down
Old 01-20-2023, 10:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

Know your deductible first. If it's close to $1k and will only save you $1k but raise your premium because you now have a claim so don't get the no claims discount and instead they raise your premium, that won't work out well in the long run and you'll end up paying more than the #2k.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (01-20-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:53 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

I know everyone has been wondering how this turned out

Well - didn't call insurance. The replaced the module and dryer the car out and everything back - except not spoiler does not work and there is a tail light warning on both sides. I told them to leave that alone.

They spent lots and lots of time under the car. Could it find anything for sure. Recommended replacing the springs and bearing seats. Also - they heard a clunk in the back and investigated this.

They found loose suspension/subframe bolts on the rear I asked how they got loose. The only people ever back there was then last year when they replaced the PDK. No idea but they tightened them for free.

Brought the car back and all noises gone!!!

Now just to sort out the tail light/spoiler thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by dgjks6:
DesmoSD (02-07-2023), rael (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:25 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Sorry. Had the car for years. Bought it CPO with 5k mikes. It's an 09 careers 4 cabriolet.

I mad e awhile post about the suspension a while back and didn't want to re live it

Car was parked outside at the dealer for the last few weeks and we have had lots of rain

Drivers footwell had water intrusion. I keep the drains clear but who knows.

He thinks the immobilizer under the seat sits up a little on a pedestal compared to the 996 and may be ok.

And am I qualified to do suspension work? Heck no. But I did it anyway. The problem I had was the front right bearing was frozen. And one of the strut mounts was corroded onto the shock. So I replaced the shocks, bearings, strut mounts, control arms and inner and out tie rods.

And still has a gentle thunk. Was actually hoping the dealer could tell me if I was crazy or not.

Engine is perfect

PDK went caput because of a leak so the trans is new.
Dealing with a similar situation but with my 958 CTT. Had it in at a bodyshop recently for a rear bumper fender bender. Car came back to me with water intrusion on the passenger side. AC blower motor shorted out. Drains totally cleared. Body shop is still being indecisive about paying for the AC replacement... Car is still with Porsche. Been driving a 2023 base cayenne coupe in the meantime so I guess it could be worse...
Old 02-07-2023, 08:41 PM
Happy2th
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 2011 Cabriolet, I better start looking for the posts on keeping the drains clear😬
Old 02-07-2023, 08:46 PM
Happy2th
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon997
Sorry to hear that happened to your 997.2. Seen some recent posts about water intrusion on CA cars being parked outside during the record rainfall they’ve experienced and how to check the cowl drains to make sure they’re clear of leaves, twigs, and other crap that will eventually cause water to overflow into the interior floor and cause havoc to sensitive electronics. They’re easy to check (takes less than 5 minutes).
I’ll search the forum, but if you point me to how to check the drains, I will appreciate it!

Quick Reply: And the problems just multiply