997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Water Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023 | 07:35 PM
wroehr

Default Sunroof Water Leak?

I just got this spot show up today and it’s wet to the touch. Is this the sunroof drains that connect to plastic tray?
Fo I drop headliner to access those? Or do I have more issues than drains?
Old 01-17-2023 | 08:41 PM
wroehr

I just opened roof and poured water into the try and all 4 drains had water come out to the ground. I’ll keep investigating
Old 01-17-2023 | 08:53 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 186K miles

Yea, drains are the first suspect. The next would be windscreen seal. Did you ever have the windshield replaced?

I had a leak in the windshield that I could not find. The leak was coming through that center light fixture and dripped down onto my shifter. I had the windshield replaced a few years before I even had a drip, and when I did, it was on and off for a few years. The car had to be canted just the correct way for it to leak. I always suspected, incorrectly, the sunroof. I purchased silicone that is very watery... squeezed some into the outside rubber seal. Nothing..... still a random drip. Then, for some reason I had popped that center console off and saw that the sealant had indeed dripped through... it just needed another application. Apparently, the leak was a bit larger than the fluid could seal. Crazy.

Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer, 1.5 oz.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-17-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2023 | 02:11 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

That's exactly where mine got wet 8 years ago. One time. Hasn't happened since. Drains all looked good. The fix seems to have been opening and the closing the sunroof. Yeah, not awe inspiring.
The following users liked this post:
lexhair (02-02-2023)
Old 01-18-2023 | 10:02 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I still would clear your roof drains. What may have happened, is the car was canted just a bit to flow water mostly to that corner and the rate of drain was less than the rate of fill and therefore overflowed. While your drains may be draining, the flow may still be too slow from debris. I recommend blowing them clean if you have a compressor although some have said that too much pressure will cause the internal lines to disconnect. I doubt that as I blow mine out every year without a problem. The other way is weed wacker line (or a guitar string as a musician here suggested) and while that should improve things, the line can't make the 90 degree turn at the exit in the wheel well so you still may end up with some blockage. Again, I recommend blowing them out. If you want to be completely sure, you will have to remove your wheel and then the liner to access the grommetted exit hole.

Read more here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-tool-diy.html

Google will reveal more methods.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
TexRedC4S (01-18-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 11:44 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Hey OP, did you find a solution here? Just discovered a similar problem to mine. Water seems to go down all 4 drains just fine.

Old 02-02-2023 | 08:43 AM
wroehr

I cleared drains and they all flow easily to the ground. Believe it or not that spot has never dried. I’m thinking it’s oil or a stain now. When I purchased the car I never saw it and only noticed it that one day. Hasn’t disappeared yet. I assume it’s stained
Old 02-02-2023 | 09:59 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wroehr
I cleared drains and they all flow easily to the ground. Believe it or not that spot has never dried. I’m thinking it’s oil or a stain now. When I purchased the car I never saw it and only noticed it that one day. Hasn’t disappeared yet. I assume it’s stained
A top quality detail shop will be able to remove the stain if it is oil.

Old 02-02-2023 | 12:34 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wroehr
Ah gotcha. Yea mine is def water. Has dried up already but second time it's reared it's head....

Quick Reply: Sunroof Water Leak?