997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a cat

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023 | 01:06 AM
KLS
Rennlist Member

I've tried many things on gophers; carbon monoxide, water, poison, etc., and found one that absolutely works, and is fun too. Get a bag of flaked sulphur and a propane torch like this; https://www.harborfreight.com/propan...ter-91037.html. Find an open hole or clear one out and toss in a half cup or so of the sulphur and then stuff the torch in. As it's burning, and you're wondering if it's doing any good at all, you'll suddenly see smoke billowing from holes 20-30 feet away. If this doesn't kill them it at least chases them to distant neighbors.

PS: Never play with fire!
Old 01-10-2023 | 02:19 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Interesting. Not many cars here but we do have coyotes howling at night as well as the occasional bobcat on the fence line. We've been woken up by a mountain lion a few times as well. A neighbor ten miles west of us posted a video of a visiting bear recently.

Yet the current set of neighborhood cats are old and surviving (as ours did as well). They just won't come into our yard with the dogs. But they all tend to be inside at dusk. Some nights when ours stayed out late we would hear them streaking up the stream to jump through the fence and down the deck to their pet door. They'd come in puffed up to twice their normal size so I figure something was after them.

Our realtor used to come across feral cats. I offered some to a friend to protect the 3200 square foot shop we built 30 miles north of here. They tended to run off quickly.

So ... Any idea how you keep a feral cat within a fenced area with dogs that would challenge them?

Years ago cats were constantly dropped off anonymously to populate an uncle's barn.

Another friend found a volunteer barn cat on his brother's ranch. That is miles from anywhere so we're not sure where that one came from.

There's a cat rescue place outside Laguna Beach (in the Canyon) that has hundreds of cats. All in screened buildings. If there was a practical way to rent them out you could make a fortune!!!

Meanwhile, my key FOB is still working 😀
I know there is some kind of acclimation period where you keep them in their enclosure. Once they have a safe spot, if the dogs are out, they will go to their safe spot if it is like other situations I have seen. Once they are acclimated, they won't vacate the area from my understanding. I have been to some B&Bs with them around SoCal as well. Some of them become chill around people but its unlikely they will ever be sleeping on your lap or hanging with the "inside cats."
Old 01-10-2023 | 04:27 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

If the gophers survive the flooded tunnels the Sulphur flakes will be amusing. Pam will nix the feral cats. OTOH perhaps the gopher tunnels can build a case for domestic cats. We'll need to convince our newest pup as well since he joined us post cats.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!!

Quick Reply: I need a cat