Seeking guidance

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 03:19 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

"driving it day to day and just enjoy the experience" = 997 or 991.2 manuals

For optimizing 911 track fun = "997 GT3 that's track ready"

Or tow a spec miata to the track with the cayenne . . .
The following users liked this post:
rael (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 05:05 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
If it's a Driver's Education track day and not a timed or racing event, many regular insurance policies will cover the car without special track insurance. You should read the fine print on your policy and send an email to your agent so they have to email you back with their answer and you have it documented.
I know this used to be the case around 10-20 years ago but that has changed (for StateFarm at least but thought it was broader). It got to the point the if you read the fine print you could make a case for not having coverage if you were parked next to the track and not even on it.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:12 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
I know this used to be the case around 10-20 years ago but that has changed (for StateFarm at least but thought it was broader). It got to the point the if you read the fine print you could make a case for not having coverage if you were parked next to the track and not even on it.
Getting HPDE policy for a day or weekend will run you about $300-600 (obviously more for GT3 and $150k+ cars), depending on the value of the car and 10% deductible. I haven't seen a regular auto policy that would cover a non-timed HPDE. I think they would give any reason not to cover the unless it's explicitly stated.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:46 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy U
Some great, thought provoking responses...so many!

I'm realizing the way I posed my question is fundamentally wrong. Bikes tend come out on top for the adrenaline rush track or street...but that is probably fed by a bit of playing with the edge of crashing. Sliding tires on a car can be fun, sliding on a motorcycle does happen but the learning curve in that domain has some bad statistics!

So I think I need to seriously think about giving up the motorcycle on track adrenaline...too much at stake...take my winnings (no big crashes after over 20 years) and cash out. Maybe keep the bike for potential commute duty (I know that may sound crazy but see notes above on this topic) if I ever get a not-work-from-home-job. In other words, Porsche on Track does not equal Bike on Track so don't try to force the math.

Then completely separately, slowly explore whether 911 ownership is for me again. Anticipate driving it day to day and just enjoy the experience of such beautiful and legendary machine...and DON'T make it a garage queen! If I evolve to the track then do it but don't expect bike-like thrills. Thanks to you all, I think I realized the Porsche Track Experience in Birmingham should not be part of the decision. Maybe bumming a ride with a local Porsche Club (as Wayne suggested) is a path or maybe just rent the 911 for a day and see how that feels.

And for DesmoSD, I've got a 2022 Aprilia RSV4 (V4 Tuono, 848, CBR600RR before that). I will miss that rush of leathers-on, warmers-off and that roll through the paddock before hitting the first straight. And don't forget the allowance for side-by-side passing in turns. Man, what a rush!

Thanks all!
Dude, just get a Cup, keep the Ape and call it a day. If you get a Carrera or even a GT3, you're going to end up upgrading and removing stuff anyways for the track, esp at Thill.

https://www.classic.com/veh/2012-por...79815-nQmwzqn/

Status

FOR SALE · $129,000

LocationDanbury, CT, USA

OdometerTotal Mileage Unknown

TransmissionManual

Driver SideLeft Hand Drive

https://www.racingjunk.com/gt3-cup/1...6&np_offset=13

Old 01-06-2023, 06:18 PM
Andy U
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn, DesmoSD is an evil person!

I am a big suspension believer. Not the current Ape yet but loved the Ktech stuff on the Tuono and the 848 was all set up with Ohlins including 30mm offsets. Transformative!
With a 997, I'd first be researching head unit upgrades.

Just for giggles, I went to a great place down the street called Response Motors to check out a 997.2 manual they just got in. I "was" thinking potentially 991 interior was nicer but there was something much more raw and purpose built looking and feeling in the 997. I see what you all are saying. Just gotta wrap my head around paying more or same for a 997.2 than a 991.1! Dang.

Still a bit from pulling the trigger but thanks all for the input...evil and not.

DesmoSD (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 06:51 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Look at it this way, the 997 price may be close to the 991 price (for cause) but the 997 depreciation curve is further along on its course and the 997 is also closer to its classic status value increase. Win win!!!!
Old 01-07-2023, 03:03 AM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,006 Likes on 417 Posts

I’d +1 a 997 GT3/RS for the stated usecases. Last year did 11 track days and 8000 miles. My goal is 10 days a year and I think the 997 GT3/RS fits this usage very well. Exciting on the street and a challenge on the track.

For extended reading on my 997 journey: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...s-journal.html
Old 01-07-2023, 06:19 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

Track insurance on my GT3 is $900 for the weekend for HPDE. Plus $450 (+/-) Event Fee, Plus consumables & Lodging.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:33 PM
Andy U
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey All,
I wanted to give a quick update. I actually did sign up for a session at the Porsche Track Experience and was due to go on March 8. Between the time of signing up and last week, I made a hard decision that not only will the motorcycle tracking go away but so will street riding for basically the same reasons. That decision came in parallel with just obsessing with Youtube and Porsches and test driving quite a few models around here. A couple days before my cancellation deadline for the Porsche School, I realized that I was just looking for an excuse to NOT get a 911 and realized it would have been $5k for a conclusion I already knew. I cancelled.

I looked up my favorite old ad from Rennlist of a local sale and this was still available so I had to jump on it. Super clean car from a good guy Rennlister. All the OEM parts available!

Thanks a lot for the chain above...unfortunately, I think I'll be hanging out next door on the 991 forum.
Cheers!

TerrestrialFlyte (02-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Seeking guidance