Sponsored by:

A $100 3D-printed PDK distance sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 03:01 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by jcfx11
Mulling things over, that glass filled print from xometry looks very good, wish I could afford mjf printer ... If part stability, resistance to twisting, etc, is required you could also dope the epoxy potting with glass fibres. I use some for glass fibre reinforcement on other hobbies link - Chopped Strands - 6 mm (ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk) that would produce a very strong bonded part if mixed into the potting compound.

I appreciate that your CAD model may be confidential, if you are willing to share I could try and run something up in my 6040.

John
Thanks John, the CAD model is not confidential as we plan to make everything open source. However, we are finding some potential installation interference concerns that we are working out. I'd love to try a demo machining so let me see where things stand and when we can get you it.

@LynxStarAuto Preaching to the choir indeed, and what's most insulting is the excuses for it. Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings, "peeing on my shoes is one thing, but don't tell me it's raining". That's the beauty of the open-source movement and boards like these. Put the info out there and let smart people run with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
cbredesen (01-13-2023), jcfx11 (01-09-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 12:34 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

@jcfx11 Sent you a PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:58 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Good news as after some housing updates and shopping around we are now getting much more affordable machined aluminum housing quotes. Latest numbers are $58 each in quantity 20, $43 each in quantity 50. These are the types of numbers we needed to make this work so it looks like a go. We are still shopping to see if there's any more fat to be trimmed but things are looking good.

I can't thank enough fellow Rennlisters and Planet 9 folks who have helped us out, @muddtt is fantastic with CAD and @jcfx11 is working to machine a test housing. We also have a new updated housing design that more closely resembles the ZF housing, as we realized the 911 PDK has some tighter space constraints than the Cayman/Boxster PDK.

I've also updated the PWB to move the one Hall Effect senor to the other side of the cavity (mimicking the factory sensor's 180 degree flip on channel 3) as this should provide more uniform performance across the four sensors. This may not be needed but it provides extra margin in the design and was easy to implement. I left that large open area in the middle to make it easier to pot in the housing and allow the potting to fully surround the PWB into a monolithic block once hardened. The new PWB will be here in about a week.

The prototype sensor I posted about above is on it's way to @jjrichar though it's somewhere in the USPS system now and he probably won't receive it for another week. Hopefully we can convince him to put together one of his youtube videos to document the results.

Estimated material costs in the quantity twenty range are around $120 each, in the quantity fifty range about $80 each.
The following users liked this post:
jbkusa (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 01:30 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

$80/ea, wow... and that's with aluminum? Can't complain about that kind of pricing.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:37 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
$80/ea, wow... and that's with aluminum? Can't complain about that kind of pricing.
That's with free assembly labor and all the non-recurring cost donated as it's a community project. That's why I call it "material cost" rather than "pricing" as a real business couldn't do that of course. Plus of course there's no profit and the actual overhead costs of running a business (like insurance, utilities, workers comp, etc.).

That being said, the aftermarket prices are awfully hard to justify IMO.

Last edited by PV997; 01-12-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:39 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
That being said, the aftermarket prices are awfully hard to justify IMO.
Gee, you think
Old 01-12-2023, 05:20 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 764 Posts

Congratulations on all of this. The progress is truly impressive. I'm looking forward to hearing about the next steps.

I still encourage a group buy that would help reimburse design time and expenses.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 04:06 AM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely fantastic. Count me in for one.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:59 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Congratulations on all of this. The progress is truly impressive. I'm looking forward to hearing about the next steps.

I still encourage a group buy that would help reimburse design time and expenses.
Thanks Wayne, always appreciate your feedback. We'll work something out but I want to ensure we have a reliable and inexpensive design fully tested before opening this up. Considering we just started this six weeks ago though, I'm pretty happy with how quickly its progressed.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:13 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Thanks Wayne, always appreciate your feedback. We'll work something out but I want to ensure we have a reliable and inexpensive design fully tested before opening this up. Considering we just started this six weeks ago though, I'm pretty happy with how quickly its progressed.
No pressure from me and no rush. I fully understand the value of dotting the "i"s and crossing the "t"s. These things take time. And the progress you've made so quickly is truly impressive.

My post was meant as an encouragement to get beyond your resistance regarding getting a bit of a payday for all of your efforts!!! I don't believe anyone here would begrudge such. And it's was also intended as a reminder that there are a lot of us in awe of what you're doing. Thanks again!!!
Old 01-13-2023, 02:30 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Subscribed! Great job pushing this along.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:08 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
No pressure from me and no rush. I fully understand the value of dotting the "i"s and crossing the "t"s. These things take time. And the progress you've made so quickly is truly impressive.

My post was meant as an encouragement to get beyond your resistance regarding getting a bit of a payday for all of your efforts!!! I don't believe anyone here would begrudge such. And it's was also intended as a reminder that there are a lot of us in awe of what you're doing. Thanks again!!!
Appreciate that Wayne. I've been highly critical of Porsche, the dealerships, and the aftermarket suppliers on this whole issue, and want to ensure there is not even a hint of impropriety regarding my motives. Far too many vendors use FUD to trash their competition and pimp their own products, and I don't want anyone to think that's what we are doing here. What's motivating me is that the PDK repair post was started to break the rigged cartel Porsche created with their PDK policies. The last thing I wanted was to replace it with a cottage industry of absurdly-priced aftermarket parts and a new priesthood of PDK repair "experts". Yet that seems to be happening.

Once we are sure we have a reliable part we'll figure out how to get these out. As to development costs they have been minimal thanks to people volunteering their time and the simplicity of the design. My time has just been some evenings and weekends, no loss as the weather had been lousy as of late anyways.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
4Forethought (03-19-2023), Prairiedawg (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 11:18 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 930 Posts

FUD !!!

Did you ever work for IBM? Remember them?

You rock dude.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 01-14-2023, 11:39 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
FUD !!!

Did you ever work for IBM? Remember them?

You rock dude.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
I'm old but not that old! Not IBM myself, but my dad was an IBM alum, even lived in Poughkeepsie so I've heard the stories.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:47 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 632 Posts

PV997 - I don’t own a PDK car, but when I do buy one, you’ll be a major reason I don’t get IMSB-like sweats. Fantastic work, sir!

Quick Reply: A $100 3D-printed PDK distance sensor?