Sponsored by:

Suspension Suggestions and Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 07:53 PM
wbauer2
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Suspension Suggestions and Lowering Springs

Hi all, after reading a ton of posts and looking at everyone's pictures, I have the bug and have decided to swap out the springs for a set of Eibachs to lower just a bit and give the car a more sexy look.
The car is a 2006 911 C2S Cab (wish PASM). In my thought process, I was thinking if I should also replace the shocks while it's all apart. I went back over the history of the car and the rear struts were fully replaced just before I purchased the car in 2019 but I can't find anything to show if the fronts were ever done (though there is a blank spot in the vehicle history for a few years).
My question - should I replace the fronts - thinking preventative maintenance in case they were never done - or just leave them? I'm not encountering any driveability issues and when I swapped on the winters, I didn't see any signs of leakage or gremlins. The rear shocks were replaced with OEM, so if I did do the fronts, thinking Bilstein B4s to stay OEM at all 4 corners? I don't really want to spend the money if I don't have to, but I'm also not adverse to spending a dollar or two as I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time.
Open to all thoughts and opinions.
Just as an added though (because I like to over-analyze things), should I upgrade to B8's all around or is that just overspending? I have a Cayenne so I don't daily the 911, especially in the winter, and no track days, but I do enjoy spirited driving in the mountains in the summer.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Here she is on the summers before I pulled her in to do the tire swap

Old 11-14-2022, 03:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Pretty straight forward. With Eibach or Techart springs (same thing, just different labeling) you get about a 1" drop. With H&R's you get a little lower with a 1.25" drop. Doesn't sound like much but that 1/4" difference is noticeable.

And also budgeting in wheel spacers since lowering tends to tuck the wheels further into the wheel bay. Spacers are inexpensive and labor is basically free since the wheels are off for the springs anyway. A must with lowering imo. since it completes the new lower look.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (11-21-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 10:31 PM
wbauer2
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks sandwedge! I will for sure be getting some spacers after this is done.
Any comments on replacing the front shocks, or should I just wait seeing as there's no issues
Old 11-16-2022, 04:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wbauer2
Thanks sandwedge! I will for sure be getting some spacers after this is done.
Any comments on replacing the front shocks, or should I just wait seeing as there's no issues
You bet. For the shocks I don't have any good advice other than waiting for any obvious reason to address them. All I can say is that I have 70K miles on mine now and they're just fine.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:26 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 272 Posts

In shopping for springs, there is some comments and confusion about Eibach (the manufacturer with the spring winder) and the TechArt (performance designer and tuner) and the TechArt designed springs made my Eibach versus the Eibach designed and manufactured springs. I know the answer, but you can decide for yourself. Attached are pics of the stock 997.2 C2 springs (in black with the color coded bands) and the TechArt by Eibach springs. If you have pics of the Eibach or Eibach Pro springs, compare them to the pics of my genuine TechArt springs. A through discussion with include dimensions and K values (spring rates) , but I don't have data. From my pics of TechArt alongside stock OEM, you could think that the TechArt ones would be stiffer but the sort of opposite is the case. Although both are progressive wound, the TecjArt one provide a more compliant ride (not cushy or soft but just better, way better). Drag out a set of regular Eibach springs and compare. Note that RWD (mine) will be different that 4WD.

Left: stock OEM 997.2 C2 front; Right is TechArt by Eibach

997.2 C2 rear; left is TechArt by Eibach; Right is stock OEM.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:06 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

I just installed a set of Techart springs on my 2010 C2S. The ride quality is OEM, and with a perfect ride height for a street car in my opinion.

Last edited by Rhern213; 11-16-2022 at 07:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rhern213:
carguy999 (02-21-2024), jbkusa (11-18-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 07:24 PM
HKTony
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Also Curious about the Techart vs eibach. Leaning towards paying the extra for Techart to have the peace of mind i went the right route for OEM like ride quality.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:41 PM
Everman31
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I’ve got Eibach and ride is very similar to oem. I noticed the ride got significantly more comfortable after getting new tires- that was night and day difference for me. I haven’t driven on the Techarts but consensus here was that they are identical to Eibach so I went with the less expensive option.
Attached Images  
buddalun (11-14-2023)
Old 11-17-2022, 12:23 AM
onnastick
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Does anyone who has put lowering springs on have before/after photos to share rather than only the afters?

Seeing as how I'll be paying an indy to put these on, to save money is the best idea to wait until something in that area (suspension? shocks?) needs to be replaced and just get it done then? Also, pretty dumb question but... how do I know when it's time to replace the suspension or shocks? I don't really know what the ride is supposed to feel like when I go over imperfect sections of road.
Old 11-17-2022, 04:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Everman31
I’ve got Eibach and ride is very similar to oem. I noticed the ride got significantly more comfortable after getting new tires- that was night and day difference for me. I haven’t driven on the Techarts but consensus here was that they are identical to Eibach so I went with the less expensive option.
Drop and ride quality is identical between Eibach and Techart but last I checked the Techarts cost a bit more. I don't know if it's good or bad information but a senior tech at the local Porsche dealership that I've gotten to know over the years told me they're the same thing with different labels and different price tags.

He's been around the block more than once with probably close to every livery of Porsches made so I don't think he's lying to me. No reason to since he's not involved in sales. All said, I'm a loyal H&R buyer of springs for 997's. Good roads in Florida allows for a bit more drop with no compromise in ride quality or otherwise. Just a little bit more "hunkered down" with no price paid in any respect.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:25 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhern213
I just installed a set of Techart springs on my 2010 C2S. The ride quality is OEM, and with a perfect ride height for a street car in my opinion.
I also have a Guards Red 997.2 but mine is a C2. I bought the car about 6 years ago that among others, it had been lowered and the 18" wheels replaced with 19". Thus far I haven't been able to identify the springs but whatever they are, the car is TOO LOW and I have the front end scrapes to prove it.

Currently, I'm at a cross road as to either going back to stock springs or maybe a Eibach/TA substitution. However and upon seeing your car could I ask a favor and have you measure the front and rear height (floor, up trough the center of the wheel and to the bottom of the fender arches)?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:14 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by onnastick
Does anyone who has put lowering springs on have before/after photos to share rather than only the afters?

Seeing as how I'll be paying an indy to put these on, to save money is the best idea to wait until something in that area (suspension? shocks?) needs to be replaced and just get it done then? Also, pretty dumb question but... how do I know when it's time to replace the suspension or shocks? I don't really know what the ride is supposed to feel like when I go over imperfect sections of road.
@onnastick

Before:

After:

H&R Springs:
https://www.hrsprings.com/applicatio...s/31/554/2006/

Otis Inc LA Wheel Spacers: 7mm front /15mm rear
https://www.otisincla.com/collection.../products/1756
https://www.otisincla.com/collection.../products/1750

Ride quality is good with PASM, I prefer it well over the factory springs.

Last edited by Graufuchs; 11-17-2022 at 11:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
Amrit.boxer (11-20-2022), groovzilla (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 11:43 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

^^^Love that H&R/Lobster Fork setup
Great minds think alike

Last edited by groovzilla; 11-17-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Graufuchs (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 11:48 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
^^^Love that H&R/Lobster Fork setup
Great minds think alike

It took a few days of work but those wheels and barrels are like glass now, the Lobster Forks are growing on me over time. I thought you would appreciate a little Lobster Fork love.
groovzilla (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 07:21 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
I also have a Guards Red 997.2 but mine is a C2. I bought the car about 6 years ago that among others, it had been lowered and the 18" wheels replaced with 19". Thus far I haven't been able to identify the springs but whatever they are, the car is TOO LOW and I have the front end scrapes to prove it.

Currently, I'm at a cross road as to either going back to stock springs or maybe a Eibach/TA substitution. However and upon seeing your car could I ask a favor and have you measure the front and rear height (floor, up trough the center of the wheel and to the bottom of the fender arches)?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Will do! The car is currently up on stilts, took the bumper off to clean the radiator tunnels. I'll have it back down tomorrow and measure for you. Something to keep in mind is since mine is an S I have PASM struts, so not sure if there would be a difference in drop with base struts.

Last edited by Rhern213; 11-17-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension Suggestions and Lowering Springs