Sponsored by:

Suspension Suggestions and Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 07:39 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Everman31
I’ve got Eibach and ride is very similar to oem. I noticed the ride got significantly more comfortable after getting new tires- that was night and day difference for me. I haven’t driven on the Techarts but consensus here was that they are identical to Eibach so I went with the less expensive option.
Beautiful color, love it!
Interesting that your Eibach's look a tiny bit lower than mine with Techart. I just looked at the specs on their sites, Eibach claims a 1.2" drop, where Techart claims 25mm = 1". So just based on that I'm not sure if they are identical as others claim.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:24 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

I installed Eibach springs on my car. This is the only before pic I can find:

After. The pics with the bronze wheels have no spacers. With lobsters, I have 10mm front and 15mm rear spacers. Ride quality feels the same with the Eibachs whether in Normal or Sport (PASM). You will feel a more noticeable difference if you install a DSC Controller (highly recommended). Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (11-21-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 02:57 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astur
I also have a Guards Red 997.2 but mine is a C2. I bought the car about 6 years ago that among others, it had been lowered and the 18" wheels replaced with 19". Thus far I haven't been able to identify the springs but whatever they are, the car is TOO LOW and I have the front end scrapes to prove it.

Currently, I'm at a cross road as to either going back to stock springs or maybe a Eibach/TA substitution. However and upon seeing your car could I ask a favor and have you measure the front and rear height (floor, up trough the center of the wheel and to the bottom of the fender arches)?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
From the ground up my fenders sit about 26.2" in the front, and a tick over 26.5" in the rear with Techart springs. This is with OEM size tires.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:04 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhern213
From the ground up my fenders sit about 26.2" in the front, and a tick over 26.5" in the rear with Techart springs. This is with OEM size tires.
Thanks so much for taking the time to measure and answer my question.

The measurements that I have are: 25.25" Front and 26.5 Rear. As you can see it's that 1" difference in the front that causing the havoc and I'm not sure how to fix it. Other that changing the springs all around, I'm hoping to find some spacer(s) to give the front more lift... maybe not the whole 1" but at least 1/2".

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astur
Thanks so much for taking the time to measure and answer my question.

The measurements that I have are: 25.25" Front and 26.5 Rear. As you can see it's that 1" difference in the front that causing the havoc and I'm not sure how to fix it. Other that changing the springs all around, I'm hoping to find some spacer(s) to give the front more lift... maybe not the whole 1" but at least 1/2".

Thanks again for your help.
It may also be possible that whoever did the installation did not put back all of the proper washers/shims/rings, or maybe put them back in the wrong order which is causing the unusual drop?

Here's a pic of the strut parts, there are quite a bit of them.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:58 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 353 Posts

Great discussion here. How do aftermarket springs affect PASM in general? With regular shocks I always understood that drop springs alone can contribute to premature wear on the shocks and it was recommended to do shocks that would compliment the drop from the springs. Curious is this is a concern with PASM.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:26 AM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
Great discussion here. How do aftermarket springs affect PASM in general? With regular shocks I always understood that drop springs alone can contribute to premature wear on the shocks and it was recommended to do shocks that would compliment the drop from the springs. Curious is this is a concern with PASM.
PASM suspension should be more tolerant to lowering springs than a Base setup. PASM is already designed with springs that are 10mm lower than Base and Sport PASM has springs 20mm lower than Base. That combined with the Sport button that further increases shock pressures then it should be logical that an additional 5-10mm drop from aftermarket springs on PASM shocks is negligible and within OEM shock pressure tolerances.

On a Base setup you're doing at minimum a 25mm drop with something like Techart springs with shock pressures designed to only work on the softer setup tolerances.

So given that I would think lowering springs on Base suspension is much more likely to have premature shock wear than a PASM setup.

Last edited by Rhern213; 11-20-2022 at 11:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rhern213:
Graufuchs (11-20-2022), TerrestrialFlyte (11-20-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 02:55 PM
Que
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Base C2 9972 chiming in. I went from a base setup with blown front dampers to eibach springs with B8 dampers all around. World of a difference. The car is quite firm now. I front is lower than I would like, which I plan to add a thicker spring spacer this winter. I am selling rear b4 monotube dampers that came with the car if you are interested. Happy modding.
Attached Images    
Old 01-22-2023, 09:49 PM
wbauer2
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey all,
Just resurrecting this thread to go back to the original question. I have already purchased the Eibachs so the only question now is do I
1- install on the existing springs (rears struts were replaced 3 yrs ago with OEM, fronts may be the originals)
2- replace the fronts with some B4's, leave rears as-is
3- or would it be better to upgrade all around to B6's or B8's?
Car is a C2S Cab with PASM, no tracking but do enjoy a spirited drive when I can. Was hoping to get this all done over the holidays, but got sidelined by the "C" word . Now that I'm feeling normal again I'm hoping to get at this.
Thanks !

Quick Reply: Suspension Suggestions and Lowering Springs