Sponsored by:

Bore scoring

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 01:51 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
we used to think that was the case, but just in the last week we were made aware of 2 or 3 997.2s where scoring was just discovered, so looks like they're better, but not as "bulletproof" as we thought a year or so ago.

To the OP, you can't really compare a 911 to anything else, because it's the only rear engine platform currently available which is part of what makes it so special.

Good point. I think since the 9A1 based cars are now way out of warranty, they're seeing their way into the hands of DiYrs and independent shops. This will reveal more of the good, bad, and ugly with the Alusil closed deck cylinder technology. For what it's worth, SUMEbore cylinder technology in post 2019 Porsche cars is showing to be as durable as Nikasil plating. Flat 6 Innovations and LN Engineering are doing tests to see if this will be a solid replacement for Nikasil. Time will tell.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:52 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Again, IMO purchasing a higher mileage 997 with Bore Scope Inspection performed showing clean cylinders & excellent PPI seems to be a smart approach to buying a 997 these days especially a buyer on a tight budget.
I'd buy a clean cylinder 90-110K example over a 30K-70K example all day. And money isn't an issue for me however I like peace of mind and being smart with my expenditures.
Why ****-away $25K on a rebuild when it is an easy simple process to avoid?

Just my opinion after 36 years of Porsche ownership and past 7 years of 997 S/C4S & C4 ownership.

Last edited by groovzilla; 11-20-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:55 PM
Whisperjet
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S185K miles

It appears you are assuming all 997s are 997s. They are not. 2009 on, what is called a 997.2 with a 9A1 engine, has what appears to be a near bullet proof engine. If you are concerned, get a .2 car. I owned the previous engine and had two blow. So.... my next purchase would only be a 2009 or newer. YMMV

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Yeah I have read about the 997.2s and would be interested in them except that they are really more than I want to spend on a (any) car. In addition, I've read as Petza914 and Carreralicious mention, about a few 9A1 engines having a different but no less worrying bore scoring. From what I've read it comes on more suddenly as well?

After talking to a car buddy of mine I think I am close to talking myself out of a 997.1. I want to buy this as a fun purchase, not something that adds anxiety to my life. That being said, if I was to PPI this car and bore scope it and everything came back clean, to hopefully keep bore scoring at bay I should:
  • Install an LN Engineering thermostat
  • Use a high quality oil
  • Change the oil frequently
  • Send oil samples to Blackstone for analysis & cut open the oil filter
  • Make sure the car is always warm (200F oil temp) before going above 3000 RPM
  • Clean out radiators
Am I missing anything there?

Thanks for the responses by the way. I haven't totally given up on a P-car yet.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:27 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Good point. I think since the 9A1 based cars are now way out of warranty, they're seeing their way into the hands of DiYrs and independent shops. This will reveal more of the good, bad, and ugly with the Alusil closed deck cylinder technology. For what it's worth, SUMEbore cylinder technology in post 2019 Porsche cars is showing to be as durable as Nikasil plating. Flat 6 Innovations and LN Engineering are doing tests to see if this will be a solid replacement for Nikasil. Time will tell.
Is this process similar to what Audi is doing with the EA389 and EA839 engines?

Atmospheric plasma spraying (APS)

To create a sufficiently robust iron running surface, the cylinder walls are first roughened with a special milling tool which cuts a dovetailed pattern into the cylinder. The resulting undercuts ensure that the APS coating adheres properly. A rotating plasma torch is then inserted into the cylinder. An arc discharge is used to create a plasma into which a powdered coating material is blown using compressed air. The powder melts and is sprayed onto the rough cylinder wall. There it solidifies and fills the undercuts thus creating a wear layer. A layer of iron (roughly equivalent to 100Cr6 bearing steel) is applied in several layers in approximately 30 seconds. The final thickness is approximately 150 micrometers. (One micrometer equals one millionth of a meter.)

Last edited by Ericson38; 11-20-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:10 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 190 Posts

Same thing -- the technology is being used in several VWAG brands in newer, high end engines. SUMEBore coatings are applied by a powder-based air plasma spraying (APS) process.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:17 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

The 9A1 is not bulletproof. It uses the same cylinder technology as its water cooled non-Mezger predecessors that are prone to bore scoring and there's a reason Porsche ditched it for SUMEbore coatings in the newer engines.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:39 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
The 9A1 is not bulletproof. It uses the same cylinder technology as its water cooled non-Mezger predecessors that are prone to bore scoring and there's a reason Porsche ditched it for SUMEbore coatings in the newer engines.

This is true, there have been enough anecdotal failures documented here that I wouldn't call them bulletproof. I'm starting to think warm or cold weather cars makes no difference. As these cars get miles on them, they'll make themselves known.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:50 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisperjet
Owning more than one car is also not an option.
I wouldn’t own a 997 if it were my only car

Originally Posted by Whisperjet
Has anyone on here owned/driven a GR86/BRZ? How comparable are they to the 997? I really don't care about a car being 'fast', I just want it to be quick enough to be fun (so not concerned that a 997 is faster). I'm more going for FUN but also somewhat practical.
Having owned lots of Japaneese cars and German cars, they are not the same. The build and quality of the German car is noticeably better which translates to the ride and experience. If I had one car to daily it would be an RS5. I currently have a tuned S4 and will probably go that route, although the S4 is a beast. If you want something smaller, more nibble try an RS3 or an M2, although IMO the fit and finish of the Audi is closer to a Porsche
Old 11-20-2022, 11:21 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Mercedes Sedans and SUV's are superior to Japanese. Much better suspension/steering/brakes and overall comfort but you pay for it
And personally our Mercedes SUV and sedan's are diesel which are great MPG and reliability.

I wouldn't use a 997 for a daily driver but I'm older at 63 and like the SUV comfort for most of my driving. Funny how I used to think my bones and muscles would never ache.
Enjoy the hunt. ...and make sure you get thorough PPI and Bore scope Inspection for peace of mind.

Last edited by groovzilla; 11-20-2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:36 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
This is true, there have been enough anecdotal failures documented here that I wouldn't call them bulletproof. I'm starting to think warm or cold weather cars makes no difference. As these cars get miles on them, they'll make themselves known.
Man it will be a sad day when I have to tell my wife that the engine fix on the Porsche was $65k… as long as no one here tells her what the new 4.1 on the back means
Old 11-21-2022, 11:13 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
I am not sure of this. The M96/M97 engines (997.1) used an open deck design with Lokasil lining, and the 9A1 used a closed deck design with different liner casting call Alusil... and of course there is no IMS in the 9A1. Even the pistons, rings, and crank bearing systems, the oiling system of pumps and savaging... all are very different. The 9A1 is a very different block.

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...id=KpujerQy6iw

I have some documents that describe the differences in more detail.... PM me if you want some long reads.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-21-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:33 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I am not sure of this. The M96/M97 engines (997.1) used an open deck design with Lokasil lining, and the 9A1 used a closed deck design with different liner casting call Alusil... and of course there is no IMS in the 9A1. Even the pistons, rings, and crank bearing systems, the oiling system of pumps and savaging... all are very different. The 9A1 is a very different block.

Peace
The open deck really only contributes to d-chuck, which isn’t nearly as frequent of an issue. No IMS = longer chain, Alusil has many documented issues and becoming more frequent, the DFI causes issues as well. The reality is that while the 9A1 is maybe slightly more reliable it is far from bullet proof and time will tell how much better it is than the M97. How much of a $ premium that is worth depends on the buyer.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:22 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

No IMS but ridiculously tight piston to cylinder clearances and the pistons can literally seize in addition to bore scoring. Also agree with the points bgoetz raised.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:33 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

So, all of this being said, what is the earliest year/version 911 that would be free of bore score issues? 992.1? 2017?
Old 11-22-2022, 01:20 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Starting with 991.2 they have SUMEbore

Quick Reply: Bore scoring