Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which option should I choose to get another key?
Buy the genuine new parts for another 2-button key ($218)
14.29%
Buy the genuine new parts for a 3-button key (not sure where to get it, or price)
28.57%
Buy the used 2-button key head with chip ($110 ebay)
28.57%
Buy the used 3-button key head with chip ($110 ebay)
28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Upgrading 997 2-button key to 3-button key

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 07:58 AM
Sadeeq
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrading 997 2-button key to 3-button key

My 2007 C4S only came with 1 key. I bought a blade that was cut to copy my existing one. It works to open the door and fits in the ignition.
From reading several posts, I surmise that I need another key head with the chip in it to operate the remote functions and disable the immobilizer, enabling the car to start. Then I need to find a decent dealer to program it for me.

Assuming all that is right, here are some questions that I have:
1. Can I take this opportunity to program a 3-button remote to a vehicle that originally came with a 2-button remote?
2. Will doing so enable me to long-press a button to roll the windows down?
3. Any good sources for key heads?
Suncoast wants over $218, but doesn't say whether they will give a 3 button key. Just that it might be black (my original key is the older grey style).
Ebay has used heads with new chips for $110, but I'm not sure it will work.

Any information and/or advice would be appreciated greatly.
Old 11-09-2022, 12:11 PM
harlanmott3
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Its my understanding the dealer will only program a brand new porsche key. Some will only program one if purchased from them, so call around. So option 2/3/4/ don't actually work for you. Unless you wanna buy the 2 button and then swap the guts after its programmed.
Old 11-09-2022, 12:40 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Cab or coupe? What's the third button for on a coupe? Euro cars (cabriolet), third button is for cab top operation. US cars are not programmable to use this third button feature, so a SmartTop module is needed (using a two-button key).
Long press to roll windows down - I did enable this on my cab using a Foxwell tool, but it's a pain (and honestly, I cannot recall if it enabled only down or up, but it was not both, I think up only).
I don't think a 3-button remote can be linked to a 2-button car - especially as there are different key frequencies in use between EU and USA (FYI: I have not idea if US-bound Porsches had to comply with any FCC requirement).

The best solution for your quest is to find $400 for a SmartTop module and install it. Works for coupes too, I believe.
I don't think you will have joy down the dealer route. They really don't give a f*. I'm sure there's a better independent in WA.

EDIT: disclaimer - I own a US cab, so no idea on US coupe button options.

Last edited by 997.2GTS; 11-09-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:40 PM
Sadeeq
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
Cab or coupe? What's the third button for on a coupe? Euro cars (cabriolet), third button is for cab top operation. US cars are not programmable to use this third button feature, so a SmartTop module is needed (using a two-button key).
Long press to roll windows down - I did enable this on my cab using a Foxwell tool, but it's a pain (and honestly, I cannot recall if it enabled only down or up, but it was not both, I think up only).
I don't think a 3-button remote can be linked to a 2-button car - especially as there are different key frequencies in use between EU and USA (FYI: I have not idea if US-bound Porsches had to comply with any FCC requirement).

The best solution for your quest is to find $400 for a SmartTop module and install it. Works for coupes too, I believe.
I don't think you will have joy down the dealer route. They really don't give a f*. I'm sure there's a better independent in WA.

EDIT: disclaimer - I own a US cab, so no idea on US coupe button options.

THanks for the info. I have a US spec Cab also. I also have the foxwell, but didn't have any luck when I tried to enable remote control for the windows. What's the button sequence for it? Just press and hold the lock button, right?

I'll look into the $400 module.

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:04 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

SmartTOP is the only way to get what you want, feature-wise. I went down the same route a few years ago. Once I got over the price, I never have looked back after the SmartTOP install, such a great integration.
I have no affiliation with this company, just really like the product as do many others: https://www.motivemods.com/Mods4Cars...4c-stlbpe1.htm

As for the window auto up/down code sequence, it has to do with the "comfort" functions related to windows. If you search Rennlist, you can find some threads from those who took the time to detail the process.

Last edited by 997.2GTS; 11-09-2022 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
frybear (11-10-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 03:16 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 154 Posts

I never knew a 3-button one existed but if there were one that had discrete lock and unlock functions I'd spend $200+ just to have that. I hate the ambiguity of the lock/unlock toggle.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:28 PM
AIrey1507
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cbredesen
I never knew a 3-button one existed but if there were one that had discrete lock and unlock functions I'd spend $200+ just to have that. I hate the ambiguity of the lock/unlock toggle.
Unfortunately not how the 3 button works. Most of them are for Cayman/Boxsters - the 3rd button opens the rear hatch/trunk.
The following 2 users liked this post by AIrey1507:
cbredesen (11-09-2022), myw (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 08:39 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Buy the genuine 2 button. But search around. Then have your dealer program it. Your Indy may be able to as well.

To control the windows from the remote don’t buy the smart top, buy the one made for your car from them. It’s called remote key. It’s. $210. Link. It allows your to one button roll up and down your windows. Also make your car chirp with locking or unlocking or both (best feature, I can sometimes not hear it lock). Also adds one touch up/down for passenger.

Easy to install.

didn’t realize OP has a convertible. Above for the coupe.
Sadeeq (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 09:08 PM
gsxrpilot
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2007 C4S Cab came with two keys, one three button and one two button. Both housings were broken in one way or another. I replaced both housings with three button versions. The first button is lock/unlock, the second button opens the frunk, third button doesn't do anything. I'm thinking the third button doesn't have any function on the US Cabs.
Sadeeq (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 09:15 PM
Sadeeq
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kellen
... It allows you to one button roll up and down your windows. Also make your car chirp with locking or unlocking or both (best feature, I can sometimes not hear it lock). Also adds one touch up/down for passenger.
I looked into that one because the horn confirmation would be very appreciated. It doesn't appear to operate the 911 convertible tops. Only those of the boxters. So I suppose the question becomes, "is it worth the extra $170 to be able to open and close the convertible top from the remote?" I'm leaning toward "yes".

Last edited by Sadeeq; 11-10-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:49 AM
Sadeeq
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cbredesen
Me too. Unfortunately, it sounds like the 3-buttons are only for European versions of the 911.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:02 AM
Sadeeq
Intermediate

Ordered my used 2-button fob with chip off eBay. Hope it can be programmed to work!
Old 11-10-2022, 11:07 AM
frybear
Pro

Received 215 Likes on 135 Posts

Yes, if you have a cab, smarttop is awesome and an easy install. Allows me to drop the top or put it up from the fob. works perfectly every single time...so far...
Old 11-10-2022, 04:48 PM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

how about a bespoke Arid key.....

https://aridinnovation.co.uk/product...7-987-arid-key

Old 11-11-2022, 05:48 PM
Sadeeq
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997ajk
how about a bespoke Arid key....
If it was switchblade styled I might consider it, but I don't see the advantage of those. Am I missing something??

Quick Reply: Upgrading 997 2-button key to 3-button key