Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche, How do we feel about RWB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 01:14 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayall911
Can’t wait till he does a 992. The car will be about a lane and a half wide and properly hog the road and parking spaces everywhere
haha. There is a 930 in my area that touches the reflectors on either side with the slightest lateral movement. Whenever I see it, I drive in a way so I can look at it and I noticed the driver alternating driving braille on either side pretty much 100% of the time.

I am pretty sure this is the car because of the shoot location in Pasadena.
...but yeah, I would never do this to a Porsche but I like them and am glad they exist.
They look great at some angles but also look terrible at other angles. My stock porsche has 0 bad angles.

This angle looks really terrible to me. If my 997 or any OEM porsche ever made was shot from this same angle, it would look good. This car clearly does not.
The following 3 users liked this post by jamesinger:
BHMav8r (10-21-2022), frederickcook87 (10-21-2022), Mayall911 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 01:32 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Drive the car for a while. Appreciate the engineering that dictated the design. The urge to manipulate the geometry may fade.

Personally I was always a fan of mid engine cars and the 911 looked ugly to me accordingly. Yeah, I know, this is not a popular statement around here!!! Now that I've driven my C4S for eight years the rear engine design has proven itself to me. I've admitted I was wrong. The 911 now is beautiful to me in factory form.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:42 PM
///Malcontent
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

It depends upon the build but, IMO, to each his own. I have more respect for the builds that have matching engine and suspension mods and aren't just styling exercises.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (10-21-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 02:37 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

I've learned to accept those builds similar to Gunther Werks but nothing compares to Singer builds. I wouldn't consider a huge overhaul unless the company works exclusively with Porsche; especially aero.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:48 PM
Sporty

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not a fan. I don't like flares that's aren't integrated into the body and look bolted on.
I couldn't agree more. Looks Frankenporsche... Perhaps like the way you did your Cayenne it could look better.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:49 PM
ipop07
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

I love them, I got to witness a build live and see Nakai work! Some people really dont like it and some love it. I find the split goes kind of hand in hand with people's willingness to modify cars: if you grew up building up your car, modifying and personalizing it then you are more likely to like them, if you are the kind of person who prefers to keep cars as they were intended by Porsche then, well you know where this is going.

With that said I will say this: when I didnt have a Porsche and got to see RWBs I said I would get one as soon as I can and live out that dream. Now that I have a Porsche I let that stay a dream and it comes down to: I MIGHT get an RWB if I can ever afford multiple 200k cars . Time to play the lottery I guess and enjoy other people's RWBs for now.

Last edited by ipop07; 10-18-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:58 PM
///Malcontent
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I could live with this.
ATX_Native (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 03:20 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts

Not a fan. DP Motorsport / Kremer did the extra-wide rear flares (iirc 2.5" wider than the 930) back in the 80's that looked way more integrated than the bolted-on style of RWB. But to each their own.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:02 PM
trebla
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default CHECK THIS OUT-RWBISHHHHHH

https://ebayvehicle.com/app/wwuR
Old 10-17-2022, 06:10 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
I've learned to accept those builds similar to Gunther Werks but nothing compares to Singer builds. I wouldn't consider a huge overhaul unless the company works exclusively with Porsche; especially aero.
+1. Gunther Werks, to me, is right on the edge of being too much but I usually find them attractive in a very aggro type of way. I also think the Singer classic is perfection, aesthetically.

The over-the-top wide cars just look god awful and I can't see how those fenders/wheels/camber/drop don't ruin the ride and performance of the car. And if the ridiculously wide fenders are bolted on vs. molded into the body work, all the worse. I think safari 911s are goofy too, so maybe I'm just odd?

In my mind a Porsche is a no BS type of sports car that is minimalist when at its best. The RWB type styling seems more at home on a Lambo or something. It looks like what a 20 year old who owns a stanced Jetta would do to a 911 if he came into some money.

You can't say that RWB doesn't have a following or isn't influential, though. Heck, even the $1MM Singer DLS has the tacked on/riveted on look fenders.

Last edited by 850tgul; 10-17-2022 at 06:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 850tgul:
DesmoSD (10-18-2022), Rallybill (10-19-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 07:12 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

I am going to go out on a limb wearing my flame suit and state that I think Singer cars generally look terrible too. I especially do not like how they do so much leatherwork in places and etc. I would take the ed pink motors and I am sure they have great suspensions and brakes... but when they talk about how the "stance" is so well thought out, by the way it sits, that surprises me because the ones I have seen in person must have been raised up. I don't like the modernized exterior bits or the gaudy interiors and etc. In general, I am not into backdating or updating stuff. It totally makes sense why Porsche does not want their name associated with them. My #1 gripe with Singer is encapsulated in the philosophy behind how the early builds had fake TAG clocks.
I know the DLS is probably more up my alley but I would rather a more minimal car than one with matching luggage. If that was my vibe, I would just drive some Italian Trash.
The following 3 users liked this post by jamesinger:
DesmoSD (10-18-2022), frederickcook87 (10-21-2022), uurx (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 07:14 PM
dmpslc
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm usually a function over form guy so I like the way the RWB look, but if it isn't performance enhancing modification I'm not that interested in spending money on it. That said, if the function you are looking for is more eyeballs and attention - this wins all day! My stock C2S is invisible around something like and RWB. Locally there is a guy with a neon yellow/pink one, that also happens to be straight piped I think. Is it faster around a track? Does it handle better in the canyon? Probably nah. Does it get 100x more attention (good and bad)? Absolutely.

Safari builds, lowrider trucks? Yes please - same arguments. If the function you are looking for is style and being different go get it!
Old 10-17-2022, 08:32 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Interior is all up to the owner. Ive seen some rather basic interior and some crazy interior. Singer will do whatever you want. Don't like it, dont spec it.

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I am going to go out on a limb wearing my flame suit and state that I think Singer cars generally look terrible too. I especially do not like how they do so much leatherwork in places and etc. I would take the ed pink motors and I am sure they have great suspensions and brakes... but when they talk about how the "stance" is so well thought out, by the way it sits, that surprises me because the ones I have seen in person must have been raised up. I don't like the modernized exterior bits or the gaudy interiors and etc. In general, I am not into backdating or updating stuff. It totally makes sense why Porsche does not want their name associated with them. My #1 gripe with Singer is encapsulated in the philosophy behind how the early builds had fake TAG clocks.
I know the DLS is probably more up my alley but I would rather a more minimal car than one with matching luggage. If that was my vibe, I would just drive some Italian Trash.
jamesinger (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 08:32 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

No thanks!!!
Old 10-17-2022, 08:57 PM
stuned
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not a fan. However, I respect Nakai’s vision/art of creating something unique. Does anyone else cringe when he starts cutting the fenders and the black jdm silicone caulking comes out for sealing the gaps….

Quick Reply: New to Porsche, How do we feel about RWB?