Sponsored by:

Last Of Its Kind - Porsche 911 997 Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 11:11 AM
Dubber
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by PCarFan16
Thanks for posting this video! Sure the longer format takes a bit more time investment but it’s a creative endeavor regarding a subject we all love. Way better than reading yet another angry, senile weirdly obsessed comment about bore scoring/bore scopes .
/\ this!
Old 10-16-2022, 01:38 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Pascoflyer
Video is well done! Props to your friend!

There’s nothing wrong with long content. However, those who are saying they’d prefer short are not wrong either. The reason why youtube is pushing shorts, Tik Tok is succeeding and IG is pushing reels is simple. People are busy. With everyone and their uncle running around with a camera, there’s millions of videos being uploaded to the internet every day.

If this is news to you, you haven’t been paying attention. I’ve been doing journalism for almost 10 years now and when I started, the talk was how writing is dying out, people only cared about photos. Now the talk is people only care about videos. Does that mean there’s not a time and place for a 20 minute video or 3,000 word written feature? Absolutely not. There is definitely a market for it. But that market is getting smaller every day and the platform your friend is publishing on has outright said they are pushing for short-form content. So this of course will affect how well his 20-minute video is distributed and how well it is received.

Compared to his other videos, it looks like it’s doing well. But I would argue that’s largely because of this forum. I’ve only had one video really blow up. It was an RWB video with 110k views or so. The main reason why it spiked is 1. The content was good and it was well made, and 2. An external site shared it. (Fastest Car I think it was?)

External shares bump it up in line for distribution.

Anyway all that to say. Great video, but consider also making a shorter version for the swathes of ADHD viewers. Keep in mind most people on youtube are college age and below. The rest of us are too old and busy.
Agree with everything you wrote but do take issue with the bolded comment above (though I understand it was meant figuratively rather than literally). I don't have ADHD but am unwilling to invest time in something that doesn't capture my interest. I love 911's as much as the next guy but watching some guy I've never heard of talk about what he's going to do to his car next is boring.

Perhaps those that use terms like "obsessed", "addicted", and "OCD" when describing their relationship with their cars are the outliers?
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (10-16-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 07:30 PM
Pascoflyer
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Agree with everything you wrote but do take issue with the bolded comment above (though I understand it was meant figuratively rather than literally). I don't have ADHD but am unwilling to invest time in something that doesn't capture my interest. I love 911's as much as the next guy but watching some guy I've never heard of talk about what he's going to do to his car next is boring.

Perhaps those that use terms like "obsessed", "addicted", and "OCD" when describing their relationship with their cars are the outliers?
Yea the unfortunate nature of text communication. I use the term ADHD as you might expect in the generic figurative sense of referring to anyone with out the time/attention span to invest to a video like this. Which is admittedly most of the world.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:50 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by preelude
Thanks for the advice bud, next time I'm looking to make a feature film with an Oscar nomination I'll be sure to reach out! Congratulations on your film and photography experience, you are also experienced at another thing that's evident in many of your posts here.

Cheers,
Peter
I don't understand why people would post a video to a public forum, directly asking people to subscribe and like the video (therefore financially incentivizing it) and then get all tragic and pissy when some people don't like their video. Public posts get public comments. This isn't kindergarten and you don't get a gold star fro participation. FWIW, I think the video was too long and really really boring.
groovzilla (10-16-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 10:42 PM
porkster
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I am going to meet half way in the middle with this one--

I actually liked the OP's thread on the build, I found the story and the journey of the mods and pictures to be excellent. It is making me consider wanting to add a 991 lip to my own 997.

But I did not enjoy the video. It is the same story, yet maybe a perfect example of why movie adaptations of video games or books do not always work. The long format interview, along with calming roll out shots and lack of spirited driving to me, is on the video producer, not the car owner. I am sure the owner is plenty enthusiastic about his car, and does a lot of exciting driving. But hey, glad to see others enjoyed the video-- me on the other hand, I liked reading about it instead.

The following 3 users liked this post by porkster:
nwGTS (10-17-2022), preelude (10-16-2022), Rallybill (10-19-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 05:29 PM
Ed99
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

As a 997 enthusiast I enjoyed this video very much. I find it very interesting in listening to his story in how he got into a 997 and the list of mods done to the car. This 997.1 is clean and the mods are done tastefully.

There isn't enough 997 content out there so hope to see more of it. Keep up the great work and hope to see more vlogs!!!

I think every 911 generation has its own specialty touch to it which makes the 911 a very special car!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ed99:
Dubber (10-20-2022), preelude (10-18-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 06:22 AM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts

I get it, most of us do. But, instead of videoing the conversations, we generally just go out on spirited drives and meets and talk it out there without a video lol.

I'll just say it, I'm a younger 911 owner (early 30's), as it appears so are the people in this video. With that, this video seems to have been shot in a style thats popular currently, the VLOG/interview/podcast type videos. But the problem is your audience (Pcar crowd)... is mostly older. So the video was shot in a VLOG/interview style combined with snippets of cool cars scenes (that are mostly cool on social media).

Honestly, I'd look to Petrolicious for some direction. I've been watching those videos for 10 years and can watch them all day still. They mix driving scenes, still shots with commentary and snippets of the interview.

Remove the plates, find some real roads to really drive and capture the sound and feel of a 911 doing what it does best combined with the cool beauty shots and commentary snippets from the interview.
Easier said than done, but... could be worth it imo. Cheers!
The following 3 users liked this post by Vince Vincent:
LucV (10-20-2022), plpete84 (10-20-2022), Ripking (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 03:45 PM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince Vincent
I get it, most of us do. But, instead of videoing the conversations, we generally just go out on spirited drives and meets and talk it out there without a video lol.

I'll just say it, I'm a younger 911 owner (early 30's), as it appears so are the people in this video. With that, this video seems to have been shot in a style thats popular currently, the VLOG/interview/podcast type videos. But the problem is your audience (Pcar crowd)... is mostly older. So the video was shot in a VLOG/interview style combined with snippets of cool cars scenes (that are mostly cool on social media).

Honestly, I'd look to Petrolicious for some direction. I've been watching those videos for 10 years and can watch them all day still. They mix driving scenes, still shots with commentary and snippets of the interview.

Remove the plates, find some real roads to really drive and capture the sound and feel of a 911 doing what it does best combined with the cool beauty shots and commentary snippets from the interview.
Here's a good example (non-Porsche content &#128563 that just popped in my feed a few minutes ago:

The following 2 users liked this post by LucV:
Graufuchs (10-21-2022), preelude (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 05:22 PM
preelude
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 115 Posts

I've had the car for over 4 years, I drive it and enjoy doing so, believe me. Meets, coffee runs, spirited drives... we do the same thing, but the video is part of a new series that my friend is working on for his channel and I was asked to participate. I think it turned out well and perhaps that's reflected in the majority of the response that it got. You've made some good points and I understand them, and agree with some of them. Posting this here was just to share another 997 video/story and get more exposure for the channel, nothing more.

I am very familiar with Petrolicious, it is my favorite automotive related content out there. It's a shame it is no more, I keep watching those videos over and over and never seem to get bored of them.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:28 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

bingo, nailed it. People can see how long the video is before they start watching. The complaints on this thread are utterly bizarre. And I'm a film studio exec! I've seen them all!
Dubber (10-22-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 11:10 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

I saw this video on YouTube before I stumbled upon this thread. I enjoyed the video and it was refreshing to see some new 997 content on YouTube.

I think the blend of interviewing, story telling, and the rolling shots worked well together. Some people here clearly have higher expectations than I do, and while YouTube content has certainly improved over the years, I still think of it as a way for average people (i.e. non-professionals) to share content, so I'm not that picky.

I have the same feeling about reading Panorama as I do watching YouTube, and that is every journalist/VLOGer/influencer will get their mitts on a new GT3 and basically share the same content, often times with the exact same press car. What I'm drawn to in Panorama, and on YouTube, is stories. People relate to stories (and that's a pro tip for public speaking as well) and generally get drawn in by them. It was cool to hear about the owner's passion for Porsche, how he was drawn to the brand, how he bought his first one, the mods he did to his 997, the goals he has for it in the future, etc.

I also appreciate the people here that are a little more critical of the film than I am. Art is never perfect, and is very subjective. Hopefully their constructive criticism is well received by the people who created the video so they can fine tune their craft.

Cheers.

Last edited by G.I.G.; 10-20-2022 at 11:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by G.I.G.:
Dubber (10-22-2022), preelude (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 11:27 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by LucV
Here's a good example (non-Porsche content)...
Nice one, thanks.

But to be fair to the OP, PistonHeads is a 'professional' site and so we'd expect higher production values. Some of their 997 content...

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:32 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
...every journalist/VLOGer/influencer will get their mitts on a new GT3 and basically share the same content, often times with the exact same press car.
Doug did an interesting one on the insidiousness of the press car.

Karl.
8x57IRS (10-21-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 08:45 PM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 37 Posts

Gosh folks, its good video and nice attempt to address the passion of the 997 enthusiast...

chill...
The following 2 users liked this post by IrishWhiskey:
Dubber (10-22-2022), sabotaged (10-29-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 11:56 AM
preelude
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I saw this video on YouTube before I stumbled upon this thread. I enjoyed the video and it was refreshing to see some new 997 content on YouTube.

I think the blend of interviewing, story telling, and the rolling shots worked well together. Some people here clearly have higher expectations than I do, and while YouTube content has certainly improved over the years, I still think of it as a way for average people (i.e. non-professionals) to share content, so I'm not that picky.

I have the same feeling about reading Panorama as I do watching YouTube, and that is every journalist/VLOGer/influencer will get their mitts on a new GT3 and basically share the same content, often times with the exact same press car. What I'm drawn to in Panorama, and on YouTube, is stories. People relate to stories (and that's a pro tip for public speaking as well) and generally get drawn in by them. It was cool to hear about the owner's passion for Porsche, how he was drawn to the brand, how he bought his first one, the mods he did to his 997, the goals he has for it in the future, etc.

I also appreciate the people here that are a little more critical of the film than I am. Art is never perfect, and is very subjective. Hopefully their constructive criticism is well received by the people who created the video so they can fine tune their craft.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by IrishWhiskey
Gosh folks, its good video and nice attempt to address the passion of the 997 enthusiast...

chill...
Thank you

Quick Reply: Last Of Its Kind - Porsche 911 997 Video