Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Worked! New Gear Oil Change for cold shifting into 4th Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022 | 02:20 AM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Default It Worked! New Gear Oil Change for cold shifting into 4th Gear!

A month ago I noticed for the first time that when my 2006 C2S was cold, shifting into 4th gear created a horrible grinding noise. If I continued to go into the 5th and 6th gears the same noise occurred. I found some old posts here on Rennlist and other places stating that often the problem was old transmission gear oil. It was suggested to try Mobilube PTX or OEM Porsche Gear Oil. My Porsche service center uses Porsche Gear Oil (000-043-305-49) and that was used in my car. When I picked the car up the first thing my service guy says is, the gear oil didn't look bad. I Figured oh boy, then I must have a big dollar job coming in the near future. However, as I pulled out of the lot, the car shifted significantly smoother through ALL GEARS! And most importantly, the car was not warmed up but shifted into 4th gear like butter! That was the best $125 investment ever! If you have this issue with your 997...try changing your gear oil as your first option. 👍
The following 4 users liked this post by 1watchaholic:
8KaboveMSL (09-01-2022), 8x57IRS (09-01-2022), anewman (09-01-2022), Petza914 (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022 | 02:44 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

If your mechanic charged you only $125 for the entire service, that's silly cheap. The PTX oil alone comes to about $120 or more IIRC.
Old 09-01-2022 | 04:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Just a FWIW, referring to the cost of the oil ... A while back there was a thread here suggesting that 3 liters were enough to fill the transmission. Previously I had changed oil for a few friends with success getting a proper full fill using a part of a fourth liter in each case. Then a friend brought just 3 liters with him based on the thread and after the change did not notice any improvement. Then another friend brought 4 liters for his second change, leaving me with the extra partial jug. I finally got the low fill transmission back into my garage last week to use that spare oil to get a proper fill. The initial report is that made an improvement.

As I said ... FWIW.
Old 09-01-2022 | 05:44 PM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
If your mechanic charged you only $125 for the entire service, that's silly cheap. The PTX oil alone comes to about $120 or more IIRC.
Maybe he cut me some slack on the gear oil change seeing he charged me just over $2500 to replace my convertible top cylinders. Also, as in the post he did NOT use PTX but Porsche Gear Oil. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited by 1watchaholic; 09-01-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2022 | 05:56 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1watchaholic
Maybe he cut me some slack on the gear oil change seeing he charged me just over $2500 to replace my convertible top cylinders. Also, as in the post he did NOT use PTX but Porsche Gear Oil. 🤷🏽‍♂️
2009 C2S 183K miles

It is a bit of a mystery of who makes this Porsche gear oil. One should assume it is to Porsche spec.. exactly as is PTX (since PTX is printed into my owner manual). I find it odd that dealers seem to now have this Porsche-labeled oil on hand. 5-7 years ago, both dealers in the Philly area did not carry it, nor did they carry PTX. When they did a transmission fluid change, they both told me they put in common, low-priced Delvac... this is not to the Porsche spec denoted in my manual.

The parts katalog also explicitly denotes using PTX and provides a Porsche part number: 000 043 204 20 for PTX but some differences show in the katalog... see my post, two posts below.

For those who used the Porsche-labeled oil, what part number was spec'd on your invoice?

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-01-2022 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2022 | 06:05 PM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 183K miles

It is a bit of a mystery of who makes this Porsche gear oil. One should assume it is to Porsche spec.. exactly as is PTX (since PTX is printed into my owner manual). I find it odd that dealers seem to now have this Porsche-labeled oil on hand. 5-7 years ago, both dealers in the Philly area did not carry it, nor did they carry PTX. When they did a transmission fluid change, they both told me they put in common, low-priced Delvac... this is not to the Porsche spec denoted in my manual.

Odd.

Peace
I asked before he started what brand of gear oil was going to put in my car. If not PTX or Porsche, I was going to order myself and bring bring back for him to use. The correct serial number for Porsche Gear Oil was on my paperwork.
Old 09-01-2022 | 06:13 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Going through my parts Katalog, there is even more mystery..... See the entries below...

Peace

For the main transmission, the following.... no mention of PTX and the part number (old and newer) do not match the PTX for the front above. But again, my owners manual specifies PTX for my transmission.

From my owners manual:

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-01-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2022 | 07:47 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Yah, Bruce - I feel the Porsche spec and Mobilube PTX are one and the same. An indy mechanic who changed mine stated similar, and others on the forum have only mentioned PTX.

Anyhow, OP, nice of them to spare you the labor, and they should have, after you dropped $$$$.
Old 09-01-2022 | 08:12 PM
1watchaholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
Yah, Bruce - I feel the Porsche spec and Mobilube PTX are one and the same. An indy mechanic who changed mine stated similar, and others on the forum have only mentioned PTX.

Anyhow, OP, nice of them to spare you the labor, and they should have, after you dropped $$$$.
Amen to the $$$! All my mad money is gone! 😂
The following users liked this post:
997.2GTS (09-01-2022)

Quick Reply: It Worked! New Gear Oil Change for cold shifting into 4th Gear!