Sponsored by:

Brake question - 997.2 C2

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 06:49 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Brake question - 997.2 C2

Hello, I recently picked up a super nice 997.2 C2. Love the car, and it has good maintenance records. Only problem is a brake pulsation at higher speeds, like a warped rotor. It had new front rotors and pads about 15k miles ago and new rear pads (but not rotors) about 10k miles ago. The front pads look to have maybe 50% life left and the rears look 80%+. Seems odd that the brake pulsation would be from the front rotors if they were replaced 15k miles ago, but could be possible. Could a rear rotor be warped and causing the pulsation? I've only ever had front rotors cause a brake pulse.

Should I replace the front rotors first? I've always heard that you should replace pads with new rotors, so would do both. Or should I replace the rears first since the front rotors are only 15k miles old? The rears look nearly new though so don't like the idea of replacing perfectly fine equipment. Or do I just replace all four corners with new pads and rotors and call it done.

Also, what do you think of the brake kits from Pelican - comes with Textar pads and Sebro rotors with all the necessary hardware, are those good quality? Or better off going with genuine Porsche parts? This would be for street use.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2022, 07:37 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Check out FCPEuro, no affiliation, free shipping ovef $49 and lifetime replacement.
And for DD with no track time Sebro and Textar should be fine

Last edited by Phrog Phlyer; 08-31-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:57 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Hello, I recently picked up a super nice 997.2 C2. Love the car, and it has good maintenance records. Only problem is a brake pulsation at higher speeds, like a warped rotor. It had new front rotors and pads about 15k miles ago and new rear pads (but not rotors) about 10k miles ago. The front pads look to have maybe 50% life left and the rears look 80%+. Seems odd that the brake pulsation would be from the front rotors if they were replaced 15k miles ago, but could be possible. Could a rear rotor be warped and causing the pulsation? I've only ever had front rotors cause a brake pulse.

Should I replace the front rotors first? I've always heard that you should replace pads with new rotors, so would do both. Or should I replace the rears first since the front rotors are only 15k miles old? The rears look nearly new though so don't like the idea of replacing perfectly fine equipment. Or do I just replace all four corners with new pads and rotors and call it done.

Also, what do you think of the brake kits from Pelican - comes with Textar pads and Sebro rotors with all the necessary hardware, are those good quality? Or better off going with genuine Porsche parts? This would be for street use.

Thanks
It does not automatically have to be the disc itself. Does it occur when the disc (brake) is warm or cold? There is also the possibility that it is an assembly error if the disc does not lie against the hub correctly, that would be to consider for a cold brake. Dismantle everything, clean carefully and reassemble would help. Otherwise check disc for color-differences. Replace axle by axle completely. Kits are ok, 100% safer are original parts.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:50 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

Hi,
the pulsing can occur from uneven brake pad material deposits on the rotors, this can be caused by incomplete brake bedding in, before going full race mode..
it is possible to clean the buff/sand brake material deposits off using power tools.

Or....... take it back to the shop.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 09:22 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I wouldn’t replace anything until you figure out the cause. You could have a caliper problem that will not go away after you spend all that money.

Also, a bent wheel can cause a pulse while braking.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:15 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback. The pulsing tends to be worse after the brakes are warm, and really only noticeable above 50mph or so. I noticed the rear rotors are worn and have a definite lip on them - I am assuming the rear rotors have never been replaced. If I am going to take the brakes apart, I would just go ahead and replace pads and rotors. It has fresh fluid. I'm thinking about upgrading to Porterfield R4-S pads and new Sebro rotors on all four corners. That seems like would be a nice upgrade and support some spirited street use better than stock pads. What do you think?
Old 09-01-2022, 10:19 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 211 Likes on 93 Posts

I loved the RS-4's on the M3. When the time comes to replace my textar ones i will go with them!
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 09-01-2022, 11:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU997
Hi,
the pulsing can occur from uneven brake pad material deposits on the rotors, this can be caused by incomplete brake bedding in, before going full race mode..
it is possible to clean the buff/sand brake material deposits off using power tools.

Or....... take it back to the shop.
This is most likely the issue, although you also say that the rotors have a decent lip on them, which means maybe they've become thin enough that they have actually warped. With a decent lip on them, I'd just replace them, then bed the new brakes in properly.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:41 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Thanks all for the feedback. The pulsing tends to be worse after the brakes are warm, and really only noticeable above 50mph or so. I noticed the rear rotors are worn and have a definite lip on them - I am assuming the rear rotors have never been replaced. If I am going to take the brakes apart, I would just go ahead and replace pads and rotors. It has fresh fluid. I'm thinking about upgrading to Porterfield R4-S pads and new Sebro rotors on all four corners. That seems like would be a nice upgrade and support some spirited street use better than stock pads. What do you think?
When new they have a thickness of 24mm and the minimum is 22mm = worn. Follow Petza's advice and swap them out.

Quick Reply: Brake question - 997.2 C2