Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So This Happened Today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022 | 12:21 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Awesome is the word. And here I am wringing my hands about mine ticking over to 70K miles from 69,995. I obviously need to re-calibrate myself.
Heh. I was just thinking about my odometer as I read that. She sits at 76,973 for the moment.

OP, thanks for sharing and good on you getting as much fun out of her as possible!!
The following users liked this post:
latonnelier (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 03:34 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Will be hitting 100,000 on my 09 4s within the next week or two, 20,000 under my ownership. No complaints.
The following users liked this post:
RacerWannabe (08-30-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 06:07 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Originally Posted by rtl5009
gives me great hope for the m97.01- you got a good one!

what was the build date and what climates has the car lived in?

any pictures of the cylinders/pistons/ process?
Sometime in 2006...not really sure but it's an Arizona Car. I've got pics from the build but I don't want to go there.

Last edited by latonnelier; 08-29-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2022 | 04:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by latonnelier
Sometime in 2006...not really sure but it's an Arizona Car. I've got pics from the build but I don't want to go there.
Doesn't matter. You got to where you are enjoying your car to its full extent with no worries about adding miles to it and few worries about catastrophic failures that tend to be blown out of proportion here. They do happen but given the low percentage of Porsche owners who post here I think it's safe to say that well maintained/serviced, these are very reliable cars that will last for a long time with as you have proved with a lot of miles on the odometer.

To the contrary, as I think I mentioned in another thread, I have a neighbor with two Ferraris. A 458 and a 436. Last time I talked to him he said both cars had less than 6,000 miles on them. So barely driven given the age of them. His reasoning is that any Ferrari approaching 10,000 miles is considered high mileage and drops rapidly in value. So what's the point in owning a Ferrari if every time you take it for a drive, the drive is ruined by the notion that you're decreasing the value of the car by vast amounts. This is according to him but I've heard and read about it elsewhere. Whoever heard of a 458 with anything close to 50,000 miles on it...never mind anything higher than that?

As you have proved with your initial post, the 997 may be the best of the best high performance sports cars daily drivers out there.
Old 08-30-2022 | 08:56 AM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Wow thats great...200K on any car is a lot, in scheme of things.

I picked up a used 997.1 C2S with 60K miles in June and drove it 4000 miles form Oregon to North carolina over 14 days, was flawless. barely 3/4 QT of oil. Darn nice seats too...
Old 08-30-2022 | 05:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I'd bet heavy your 200K mile 997 feels close to new.
Amazing how tight these cars remain if cared for and not tracked.

The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
myw (09-01-2022), sandwedge (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022 | 05:29 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

"I've got pics from the build but I don't want to go there" Why not - at least of the bores and pistons being such a hot and debated topic ? It would be interesting and informative to see and know if it showed any symptoms, if they were merely "scuffed" , etc, or was it scored and ran perfectly fine (or not) up to that mileage/point? If you don't want to because it's a pain to vet thru the photos and upload, etc I understand then.
Old 08-30-2022 | 08:00 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Nicely done, OP! I've put 17Kmiles on my GTS in 13 months and have no qualms about driving it anywhere/anytime, and it's currently just shy of 80Kmiles. That said, my GTS has only averaged about 7,200/year! These cars are meant to be driven and can take the miles. #getoutanddrive
Old 08-30-2022 | 09:11 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Doesn't matter. You got to where you are enjoying your car to its full extent with no worries about adding miles to it and few worries about catastrophic failures that tend to be blown out of proportion here. They do happen but given the low percentage of Porsche owners who post here I think it's safe to say that well maintained/serviced, these are very reliable cars that will last for a long time with as you have proved with a lot of miles on the odometer.

To the contrary, as I think I mentioned in another thread, I have a neighbor with two Ferraris. A 458 and a 436. Last time I talked to him he said both cars had less than 6,000 miles on them. So barely driven given the age of them. His reasoning is that any Ferrari approaching 10,000 miles is considered high mileage and drops rapidly in value. So what's the point in owning a Ferrari if every time you take it for a drive, the drive is ruined by the notion that you're decreasing the value of the car by vast amounts. This is according to him but I've heard and read about it elsewhere. Whoever heard of a 458 with anything close to 50,000 miles on it...never mind anything higher than that?

As you have proved with your initial post, the 997 may be the best of the best high performance sports cars daily drivers out there.
Agreed - that behavior is strange to me. Solution is to find the cars with 30-40k miles on them and not worry. I would like to be in the 355 market sometime over the next several years and when I pull the trigger it will undoubtedly be a 'high' mileage car.
Old 08-30-2022 | 10:11 PM
USMMA
Instructor

There is a local Ferrari club that lets me hang out with them (they’re all Porsche owners as well) and there are 3 -458’s in the group ranging from 55k-75k miles, 1-488 with 50k miles, and a California T with 50k miles, so some owners do drive and enjoy them. They’ve all been fairly reliable too, one of the 458’s did have an oil leak that was an engine out repair, but the rest have not had any major repairs.
Old 08-31-2022 | 03:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by USMMA
There is a local Ferrari club that lets me hang out with them (they’re all Porsche owners as well) and there are 3 -458’s in the group ranging from 55k-75k miles, 1-488 with 50k miles, and a California T with 50k miles, so some owners do drive and enjoy them. They’ve all been fairly reliable too, one of the 458’s did have an oil leak that was an engine out repair, but the rest have not had any major repairs.
Interesting. First I ever heard of such numbers. Especially for 458's. But as you say, the 458 does have a reputation for being reliable maintenance wise. Not the frequent, expensive trip to the nearest Ferrari shop that seems to haunt earlier models according to their owners. True or not. Not easy cars to work on yourself though. Is that what you're hearing from your Ferrari friends?
Old 08-31-2022 | 03:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=RacerWannabe;18334386]Agreed - that behavior is strange to me. Solution is to find the cars with 30-40k miles on them and not worry. I would like to be in the 355 market sometime over the next several years and when I pull the trigger it will undoubtedly be a 'high' mileage car.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-31-2022 | 05:22 AM
axl886
Instructor

TBF, the above might pose a quandary to GT car owners as well, I reckon?
Old 08-31-2022 | 08:20 AM
USMMA
Instructor

Interesting. First I ever heard of such numbers. Especially for 458's. But as you say, the 458 does have a reputation for being reliable maintenance wise. Not the frequent, expensive trip to the nearest Ferrari shop that seems to haunt earlier models according to their owners. True or not. Not easy cars to work on yourself though. Is that what you're hearing from your Ferrari friends?
At some point Ferrari started including 7 years free maintenance, so most of them have just taken their cars back to Ferrari since annual maintenance is free, one of the 2015 458’s just had its last free service at 67k miles and the dealer commented this was the highest mileage 458 still covered by the free maintenance plan. One of the guys with a 2014 - 458 does all of his own work, granted he is retired, so he has time, but he’s indicated the car is not that difficult to work on. (He’s worked on Gen 1 NSX’s, Ferrari F430, etc in the past)
Old 09-01-2022 | 03:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by axl886
TBF, the above might pose a quandary to GT car owners as well, I reckon?
Guess that depends on what GT cars referred to but I assume you're talking about Porsche GT3's and up. I haven't read or heard about any scary, frequent or expensive maintenance for these cars. Seems to be agreed on even by the "experts":

Funnily enough, when very special or high powered 911 engines were required, such as in the GT3 and Turbo models, Porsche decided that only a Mezger engine would do, which is why these cars suffered none of the issues of their stablemates. The last true Mezger engine was used in the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 of 2011, by which point its designer has already been retired nearly 20 years…

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/columni...el-its-friday/

Originally Posted by USMMA
At some point Ferrari started including 7 years free maintenance, so most of them have just taken their cars back to Ferrari since annual maintenance is free, one of the 2015 458’s just had its last free service at 67k miles and the dealer commented this was the highest mileage 458 still covered by the free maintenance plan. One of the guys with a 2014 - 458 does all of his own work, granted he is retired, so he has time, but he’s indicated the car is not that difficult to work on. (He’s worked on Gen 1 NSX’s, Ferrari F430, etc in the past)
Great info. Didn't know that. Thx.

Quick Reply: So This Happened Today...