How to remove just the plug?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 01:02 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How to remove just the plug?

How to remove just the plug?
I pushed the plug in as if I was going to light a cigarette and didn't realize it wasn't going to pop out.
Now I don't know how to get it out, as that's the only part I need. It looks like someone forgot to put the plug back in after charging the battery.

Last edited by bcgreen; 08-28-2022 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:06 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I think you can just stick your little finger into the bottom and push on the heating element.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:58 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

You can try inserting that into your ashtray to see if it heats up and then releases the plug or do what I did and for like ten bucks, buy a no smoking plug cover like this from ebay (which actually looks better than the real working plug cause it has that aluminum look top) and put it into your ashtray instead. I don’t want people to smoke in my car anyway and this blank plug is lighter than the original one cause there’s nothing under the plug so you gain a little hp too. j/k 😁

The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 09:42 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I think you can just stick your little finger into the bottom and push on the heating element.
Doesn't work for me, just too painful because its rather pointy.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:44 AM
bcgreen
Pro

[QUOTE=Carreralicious;18329288]You can try inserting that into your ashtray to see if it heats up and then releases the plug or do what I did and for like ten bucks, buy a no smoking plug cover like this from ebay (which actually looks better than the real working plug cause it has that aluminum look top) and put it into your ashtray instead. I don’t want people to smoke in my car anyway and this blank plug is lighter than the original one cause there’s nothing under the plug so you gain a little hp too. j/k 😁

It's too big to fit.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:28 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,074 Posts

[QUOTE=bcgreen;[url=tel:18329371]18329371[/url]]
Originally Posted by Carreralicious;[url=tel:18329288
18329288[/url]]You can try inserting that into your ashtray to see if it heats up and then releases the plug or do what I did and for like ten bucks, buy a no smoking plug cover like this from ebay (which actually looks better than the real working plug cause it has that aluminum look top) and put it into your ashtray instead. I don’t want people to smoke in my car anyway and this blank plug is lighter than the original one cause there’s nothing under the plug so you gain a little hp too. j/k 😁

It's too big to fit.

That white thing needs to come off, right? That’s part of the socket.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:42 AM
bcgreen
Pro

[QUOTE=Mike Murphy;18329417]
Originally Posted by bcgreen;[url=tel:18329371
18329371]

That white thing needs to come off, right? That’s part of the socket.
I don't think it's meant to come off. It has a metal strip integrated into the plastic. The only way to get it off is to cut it off using a cutoff wheel.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:42 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

That white part and the metal portion it sits over is part of the entire socket like previous poster said. When you order a new one from Porsche, they give it to you like that because they assume you need to replace the entire socket and the plug that lights the cigarette. You have to pry that metal and white part off or pull out the ashtray and pry out the old socket which is a pain too. I’ve done that in my old Boxster when I wanted to replace to a newer style plug. You are supposed to install the socket in the car first and then insert the plug after.

Or, just buy the no smoking style plug like in my link below and just put it in there…

Last edited by Carreralicious; 08-28-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:46 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
That white part is part of the socket like previous poster said. When you order a new one from Porsche, they give it to you like that because they assume you need to replace the entire socket and the plug that lights the cigarette. You have to pry that white part off or pull out the ashtray and pry out the old socket which is a pain too. I’ve done that in my old Boxster when I wanted to replace to a newer style plug.

Or, just buy the no smoking style plug like in my link below and just put it in there…
If I could get it to heat up it should pop up just as if your ready to light a cig.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:48 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

I’m not sure it works that way but I guess you could try. Not sure how you would do that since the metal part that gets hot is inside the socket now. How would you get access? Be careful not to burn yourself. You still would have to remove your existing socket from underneath your ashtray if you want to put the entire socket and plug with white portion in there.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 08-28-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:50 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=bcgreen;18329431]
Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I don't think it's meant to come off. It has a metal strip integrated into the plastic. The only way to get it off is to cut it off using a cutoff wheel.
You are not supposed to cut off the white part. That is part of the whole socket and you are supposed to remove the old socket from the car to insert the new one and then push the black plug top portion into it afterwards. You just put the plug in too soon.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:56 AM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
If I could get it to heat up it should pop up just as if your ready to light a cig.
Inside the white thing, there are two pins/blades to connect to your vehicle harness. Remove the one from your vehicle and connect this new one. Turn on acc and let it heat up, the cig lighter will pop out when it is red hot.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:03 AM
bcgreen
Pro

I’m not sure it works that way but I guess you could try. Not sure how you would do that since the metal part that gets hot is inside the socket now. How would you get access? Be careful not to burn yourself. You still would have to remove your existing socket from underneath your ashtray if you want to put the entire socket and plug with white portion in there.
I don't know how to heat it up but all I want is the plug part as the original owner did not put it back. There's got to be an easy way, maybe a visit to the dealer as I also have issues with key fobs not working and will need to synchronize them with the help of a PIWIS diagnostic device.
The dealer might something simple to get the plug up and out.

Last edited by bcgreen; 08-28-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:06 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcgreen
I don't know how to heat it up but all I want is the plug part as the original owner did not put it back.
So just buy a used plug portion on eBay if you insist on having a working cigarette lighter plug. I have it, but am keeping it just in case I sell one day and the new owner is a smoker, but I’m sure many are willing to sell you just that top portion of the plug or you can even get at a Porsche dealer. Those pieces can’t be expensive.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:13 AM
bcgreen
Pro

So just buy a used plug portion on eBay if you insist on having a working cigarette lighter plug. I have it, but am keeping it just in case I sell one day and the new owner is a smoker, but I’m sure many are willing to sell you just that top portion of the plug or you can even get at a Porsche dealer. Those pieces can’t be expensive.
I just like to have everything original and working as it is probably what the next buyer will want since they are paying big money. I bought this piece from the dealer and this is the only way they come.

Quick Reply: How to remove just the plug?