Sponsored by:

Considering 2005 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 03:38 AM
kkarson
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groovzilla
You live in great location for Porsche buying! I try and buy my Porsche's in SF Bay Area or LA/San Diego
And FYI --->Auto Sport Haus in downtown SF is excellent Indy shop. Located at 632 Ellis St.---> Small but does the trick.
Frank the owner is x-Porsche Race Team Mechanic and has been in business at his shop for 25-30 years. Honest as hell and kind.
When I buy Porsche's down there I always have Frank service/oil change during my drive home to Seattle.
Gives him some Biz and gives me free overnight parking in safe garage - At $70/night for garage parking it seems to make sense.

Thanks for the great tips, @groovzilla ! You’ve been super helpful so far. I will keep scouring the web for them. I’ve been searching throughout California, since I’m always up and down the state.

I’ve read that it’s better to have a slightly higher mileage car that has no bore scoring and well maintained, rather than a lower mileage car that has any bore scoring (even minimal). Would you agree with that?

Is that Frank in the photo? Seems like a nice guy and shop 🙂
The following users liked this post:
FlatsixS (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 02:32 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Originally Posted by kkarson
Thanks for the great tips, @groovzilla ! You’ve been super helpful so far. I will keep scouring the web for them. I’ve been searching throughout California, since I’m always up and down the state.
I’ve read that it’s better to have a slightly higher mileage car that has no bore scoring and well maintained, rather than a lower mileage car that has any bore scoring (even minimal). Would you agree with that?
Is that Frank in the photo? Seems like a nice guy and shop 🙂
Yes I agree! I've always been an advocate for higher mileage Porsche and Mercedes. Sweet spot is 90-100K miles when the major services are completed and car is ready for another 50K miles and that goes for both Porsche and Mercedes. This has been my MO for 36 years. I owned many Porsche over 36 year and whether it was early 911/911sc/964/993/996/997 they have all had higher mileage.

**I bought my current 200 997 C4 last year (And my 7th 997) and has 107K miles. Runs/drives/feels/looks new. Important to find car that has been garaged and babied by **** owner with full service history f possible. They are out there. SO in summary higher mileage with clean cylinders a PLUS!
My car Bore Scope Inspection was excellent with totally clean cylinder walls!. I suggest taking your time and wait for this fall/winter/spring.
And since the 3.6L Base engine is much less prone to Bore Scoring I'd be looking for a well optioned Base model. My C4 checks all my boxes with manual transmission, full leather/short shift kit, lowered 1" w/H&R springs and looks so clean. My car was fully repainted due to scratches and has high end repaint which to me is also a plus.

**And yes Frank is the best. He is Japanese but raised in Germany so very interesting when you first meet him with his heavy German accent!.

Keep posting your finds! All the best!

Last edited by groovzilla; 08-15-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering 2005 C2S