Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are good ways to sell your car ? (Not Ads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2022 | 02:08 AM
ciphercong
Advanced

Question What are good ways to sell your car ? (Not Ads)

For the record - I did review the thread on top about "BUYING, SELLING, AND TRADING ON RENNLIST", unfortunately the link in the thread is not accessible by me.

This is really a personal question from me so definitely not an ad:

My car registered in NY and I live in NYC. The car is a 2008 C2 and has been well maintained with 80k miles. Now I've decided to sell it. If you need more info please let me know.

So question 1: what you think a fair ask price should be, or is there a Porsche site I can use to get a price calculated based on the specs?
question 2:
It's the first and only Porsche car I own so would really appreciate any suggestion or guidance on what are preferred ways to sell a Porsche car you own? ofc the higher bid the better, but a price on median range or slightly better than median totally works for me. All I'd want is not end up accepting a lowball offer...

Again this is personally ask for my own car, so definitely not ads. And I am not asking to see if anyone is interested, I am asking for guidance on how to sell your car.
Thanks!

Old 07-22-2022 | 04:52 AM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

I have bought 3 cars off BAT, so would sell on BAT too...

Cars.com for everyday cars...or Autotrader.
Old 07-22-2022 | 12:40 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

You need to become a Member on the site to list things in the classifieds.
Old 07-22-2022 | 01:34 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

RL is best place to sell a car. I have bought 6 997's from RL and have bought sold Porsche's for 36 years. As long as seller is long time RL member not some newbie trying to unload car with issues.
It is important to communicate well after you list your car and be forthright. This is a must.
**Not like the seller who has his 2008 on RL Marketplace and for some reason avoided every question I had for him - He's a newbie and acts like it avoiding all questions asked.
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1307434

I am shopping for a friend who is looking to buy a 997 and I need important pertinent questions answered.
I deleted my comments and just chalked it up to seller being a total dick.
When a drivers door is replaced, crappy Bore Scope Photos uploaded and requests for related service records goes unanswered, red flag and move on time.

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-22-2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2022 | 09:31 AM
elwademd
Rennlist Member

as a long time admirer (lurker) on rennlist, when i finally decided to buy a 911 a few weeks ago, i joined RL, paid the membership fee, contacted someone who'd had a car listed fo ra few months, and bought the car in less than a week.

from my own personal experience, people on RL are generally very serious about anything being sold.

there were a few other cars in my area that fit my criteria (997, carrera s, manual, aerokit); but i was not able to see pics, have details (thanks to other members asking questions) or easily connect with the seller. there were a few other cars in the country that fit my criteria (dealership ads, autotrader, other sites), but again, the level of detail here far outshined what was accessible to me.
Old 07-23-2022 | 12:39 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

take 400 pictures from every angle, a driving video, a cold start video, get a DME report if it's a manual and go to BaT no reserve. guaranteed to sell. follow the auction and honestly answer every question to the best of your ability and everyone involved will get the best experience and you'll get the best price.
The following users liked this post:
alfetta (07-24-2022)
Old 07-23-2022 | 01:20 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

I bought mine of off PCA Mart.
Old 07-24-2022 | 12:43 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

" go to BaT no reserve. guaranteed to sell."

never really understood the benefit of "no reserve" (?), other than "guaranteed to sell" albeit at price far lower than what you would like I understand lifting it once the bidding gets close ...
BondJ (08-06-2022)
Old 07-24-2022 | 01:12 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty

never really understood the benefit of "no reserve" (?), other than "guaranteed to sell" albeit at price far lower than what you would like I understand lifting it once the bidding gets close ...
I sell things for a large bank (Class 8 and Heavy Yellow Iron), been doing it for 14 years.

One of our largest auction vendors is all no reserve and honestly they consistently out perform other auction companies that are reserved or a mix.

With a no reserve sale, as a buyer you know it’s absolutely 100% going to sell.

Many potential buyers are frustrated when they due their due diligence in finding, tracking and sometimes inspecting a piece, only to see that item “no sale” on auction day.

So if the site has a large enough following and enough engaged buyers, I would not hesitate one bit running my car no reserve. Especially since I know my car would at least get to a point with two competitive end users (not dealers) bidding, which is where things sell high.

Having followed BaT and having bought a car on their before, I would not hesitate selling with no reserve. On the other hand, if I was selling I would place a reserve on Cars and Bids because I don’t see the same level of volume and engagement.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 07-24-2022 at 01:25 PM.
jfischet (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022 | 01:19 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

i know what you're saying and i wouldn't sell an old muscle car on a tuesday no reserve at barrett jackson, you'll get your *** handed to you. lol. ..but a 911 on BaT no reserve is going to draw serious buyers who know what the car is worth.

there are no bargain 911s anywhere (if there are some one is out there scouring the countryside looking for them)
Old 07-31-2022 | 08:59 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

what's a reliable source for prices?
Old 07-31-2022 | 10:47 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

ATX -thanks for the explain, and I do not doubt the outcomes you have observed, but I still don't get it (the psychology behind it). If a car that the buyer wants is for sale, they are going to bid on it to the highest point they are willing to bid, regardless if there is a reserve or not. I just don't see how it affects the final price??

Old 08-01-2022 | 03:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
what's a reliable source for prices?
Good question and probably a good amount of different opinions to it. For me I go to https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/search?model=911 and enter the specifics of what I'm looking for.

The dealerships aren't the place to go to for a bargain but I think you'll get a pretty good idea of the price of what you're looking for. As I see it, the lack of inventory at the dealerships suggests that their pricing is attracting buyers so they can't be far from the general marketplace pricing. If it was, their used car lots would be filled to capacity. Instead, at least at my local dealership it's basically empty, at least for 997's.
Old 08-02-2022 | 10:16 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

The absolute best place for prices is BaT - very easy to look up cars by make/model, then search results. You get graphs, everything. Then look for specific cars similar to what you ant to sell and compare. Also look at Haggerty's price guide, and Hemmings. You'll have all the info you need to properly price your car. As to where to sell, I'll make it easy for you - price is $25K and send me a PM. Just kidding (sort of ). In all seriousness, join rennlist - very cheap - $17 or something like that. List your car in the marketplace. Take lots of pictures but remember - YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION! Clean it well, vacuum it, detail the engine bay as best as you can. No lint or other crap on the carpets, or loose hanging wires from after market crap. Then take your pictures. Be honest in the description - what doesn't work. Also list on Hemmings and PCA Mart. If no hits, then move it to BaT or PCar Market.
Old 08-02-2022 | 10:57 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

ATX -thanks for the explain, and I do not doubt the outcomes you have observed, but I still don't get it (the psychology behind it). If a car that the buyer wants is for sale, they are going to bid on it to the highest point they are willing to bid, regardless if there is a reserve or not. I just don't see how it affects the final price??
are you suggesting humans are logical?

Quick Reply: What are good ways to sell your car ? (Not Ads)