Sponsored by:

2009 997.2 PCM 3.0 issues and firmware update CDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 02:40 AM
GasmanHaus
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2009 997.2 PCM 3.0 issues and firmware update CDs

I have a 2009 997.2 Carrera S Cab that came with BT, NAV, DVD, Universal Audio, and Bose
The back story is that my factory bluetooth was failing and occasionally the audio amp wouldn't turn on, only the sub would.

Option 1: remove the factory radio and replace with an aftermarket one but lose the native sport chrono and original build
Option 2: find a like-new replacement radio to replace and then recode for my car
Option 3: send the radio to Becker Auto Sound to be repaired for the things they identify as problematic at the time with the possibility that other issues may arise over time with an old radio
Option 4: upgrade the radio with Carplay/Android auto device by IDcore and keep everything original to the car.

I went with option 4 after finding an installer that has all the Porsche firmware CDs, a PIWIS 3 programmer, and can install the IDcore interface into the radio.
Step 1: radio pulled to find that there was a NAV-TV unit installed by the original owner. The NAV-TV MOST, Sirius, and BT modules were removed and then the radio firmware was reloaded with v2.23 (that was the most recent version in the car at that time).
Step 2: after confirming the radio took the firmware, the original VIN codes were re-entered using PIWIS 3 to activate all the purchased options (BT, NAV, DVD, Universal Audio, etc)
Step 3: IDcore interface installed

Result: radio upgraded with IDcore interface that worked fine but its native BT has echos and sound issues with phone calls that are known and doesn't work great unless you use the native PCM 3.0 BT as the primary phone connection. For some reason, the PCM 3.0 is unable to turn on the BT module in the radio and fails every time I try to turn it on.

Step 4: Firmware v2.24 loaded and radio recoded. Alas, the PCM 3.0 BT turns on and can now be sync'd to my phone. Unfortunately once the car is turned off, the problem came back I PCM 3.0 BT wont turn on despite the software saying it is trying to. Despite hard resets and restarts of the radio and car ignitions, the BT wont activate. It appears this could be a issue with either the hard drive and/or the original BT module or some other internal radio hardware issue.

Step 5: Perhaps copying the old original and possibly failing hard drive to an SSD drive might fix a possible software issue.
I followed the instructions for upgrading a PCM 3.0 IDE hard drive to an SSD drive:
replace-pcm-3-0-hard-drive-with-ssd-instructions.html
I ordered the hardware to upgrade my PCM 3.0 IDE hard drive to an SSD. It is possible that I have a failing drive that is now 13 years old. Most quality server drive only last 7 years in controlled environments. I assume mine being in a sometimes hot car for 13 years means I am way past the drives service life even though it was a special Toshiba drive in the PCM 3.0 radio designed for tough environmental conditions.

I have the PCM 3.0 v2.23 CD but I am in search of the PCM 3.0 v2.24 CD so I can the reload the firmware I have onto the SSD drive after I make a clean copy. Can someone point me to where I can get a copy or an ISO for v2.24?
The other issues is that even though the code has been entered for that native NAV maps, and it is active and searching for the maps again, I need the map DVDs from the correct year to load in and get it working again. Unfortunately I don't know which year was last loaded and neither does the dealer that did it, so it will be trial and error if I can find copies of the old map DVDs. Does anyone know a good source for old PCM 3.0 map DVDs or ISOs? I am guessing it is after 2009 but before 2015 based on the year of the car and when I purchased it.

I don't plan to buy a PIWIS 2 or 3 programmer as the installer I used has one and can recode for me if needed. I also have all the codes for getting back to the original factory PCM 3.0 settings.

All help is welcome. I have searched extensively for the ISOs, which some have reported here as available, but no links are included and I was unable to find any on my own.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:39 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 180K

Well you went deep. Good luck. Keep us posted as to your progress.

A few things...

The sub-only sound is not a failure of the head unit (unit in the dash) but the amplifier/digital processor located under the passenger seat. This is a known issue as these units age and there is quite a bit of digital ink spent on this here. Mine has been doing this for a few years now and I expected the unit to slowly get worse. It has not gotten worse. I have no clue what is going on, but appears something I will have to live with unless someone here figures out where the failure point it. I am happy using a soldering iron, so I am waiting.

Regarding moving to an SSD. Unfortunately, you should have done this before you made any changes to the firmware or other updating as some of that sits on the drive. A suggestion: If your ills are from a failing hard drive, there are folks here who made an ISO copy of the drive and may be willing to share that file with you. You can then use their file to restore you SSD to original albeit there may be some serial number on the drive that has to be "re-synced" to your head unit. I suspect a dealer can do this. If you do go down this path, please post your results as there are many here who are interested in this path.

Regarding failing bluetooth... I have not read about failing bluetooth in these units but I am not surprised. It is not uncommon in the computer world to have these radio systems/chips fail. If this happened, it is specific to the bluetooth radio chip and not a firmware issue. But that is my opinion.

I suspect you took multiple failure modes of a modified system and tried to fix it with software. You took a complex situation and made it more complex. In my opinion, I would try and undo the very complex environment you and the previous owner created and get back to bone stock. Remove the previous owners mods etc.... Then start from there. Or, just buy a new/used head unit and amplifier/processor and have a dealer code the system to your car... or remove everything and go totally aftermarket for the headunit and underseat amp. For me, I would go all OEM as the system is integrated into CAN bus of the car particularly the additional functionality you get with the sport/chrono option.... but that is just me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07-21-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:07 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

On this topic I follow Bruce. Beyond that ...

Over a year ago I pulled my amp and did two things (at the same time so I don't know which one of either mattered). I started having the problem a few years ago. Initially it was very intermittent and only after a brief power off after a long drive. So it seemed like an overheating issue (see step 2 below). And it would self heal at shut down / restart, or even while driving. Then it happened one morning starting up in a 40F garage. To make matters more confusing, after believing this was a start up (starting the car) problem, it occurred in the midst of a drive. So I don't know. Anyway, I opted to ...

1. I replaced the six 2200uF caps. This is a multi layer board and my 43 years of electronic R&D came in handy. I would not recommend this for the faint of heart.

2. I refreshed the heat transfer compound on the power devices. This is easy and requires no special skills or tools.

The unit worked perfectly for six months (it had gotten to be a daily problem before my "fixes" were done). So I thought I had the problem beat. Then one day I thought I had lost it again. I was dejected. But then I discovered user error (a passenger had lowered the volume to zero). At least I think it was user error. But the paranoid side of me still speaks softly inside my head.

So do the above two (or one of the two) Fix the problem? I think so, or perhaps I should say I hope so.
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 07:14 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

The update CD's can be ordered from dealers, you may have to wait a while as most seem to have to be ordered from Germany. I ordered some from Gaudin Porsche and I've been waiting a while - they did quote 6 - 8 weeks for parts ordered from Germany.

The part number for the latest is WKD-952-900-16, the last two digits are churned every year. Pricing on these is surprisingly random - the -13 and -14 discs are 1 cent! - yes likely the cheapest Porsche part you can get. The -15 disc is $19.11

Hope this helps...
The following 2 users liked this post by Tj40:
997.2GTS (07-21-2022), GasmanHaus (07-22-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:55 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for this information, I needed to update mine from 2.20 and found the -16 disc for a few cents, as you mentioned.

WKD-952-900-16 Update CD PCM 3.0 $0.24 1 $0.24

Last edited by 997.2GTS; 07-21-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:31 PM
GasmanHaus
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 180K

Well you went deep. Good luck. Keep us posted as to your progress.

A few things...

The sub-only sound is not a failure of the head unit (unit in the dash) but the amplifier/digital processor located under the passenger seat. This is a known issue as these units age and there is quite a bit of digital ink spent on this here. Mine has been doing this for a few years now and I expected the unit to slowly get worse. It has not gotten worse. I have no clue what is going on, but appears something I will have to live with unless someone here figures out where the failure point it. I am happy using a soldering iron, so I am waiting.

Regarding moving to an SSD. Unfortunately, you should have done this before you made any changes to the firmware or other updating as some of that sits on the drive. A suggestion: If your ills are from a failing hard drive, there are folks here who made an ISO copy of the drive and may be willing to share that file with you. You can then use their file to restore you SSD to original albeit there may be some serial number on the drive that has to be "re-synced" to your head unit. I suspect a dealer can do this. If you do go down this path, please post your results as there are many here who are interested in this path.

Regarding failing bluetooth... I have not read about failing bluetooth in these units but I am not surprised. It is not uncommon in the computer world to have these radio systems/chips fail. If this happened, it is specific to the bluetooth radio chip and not a firmware issue. But that is my opinion.

I suspect you took multiple failure modes of a modified system and tried to fix it with software. You took a complex situation and made it more complex. In my opinion, I would try and undo the very complex environment you and the previous owner created and get back to bone stock. Remove the previous owners mods etc.... Then start from there. Or, just buy a new/used head unit and amplifier/processor and have a dealer code the system to your car... or remove everything and go totally aftermarket for the headunit and underseat amp. For me, I would go all OEM as the system is integrated into CAN bus of the car particularly the additional functionality you get with the sport/chrono option.... but that is just me.

Peace
Bruce,
First, let me compliment you on your guide for cloning the HDD.

A few points for reference:
1. ISO images: I have search many different forums and was unable to find anyone with a clean ISO image for the PCM 3.0
2. HDD: there is some mention in the thread that contains your instruction on upgrading the HDD that one user said they don't have NAV and also don't have an IDE HDD in their PCM 3.0 unit. This leads me to question where the firmware may be stored
3. Has anyone looked at the drive format of the HDD and the types of corruption that occur in PCM 3.0 HDDs? There is always a sector format standard and one can run analytics on it and perhaps try tp repair those regions using software. I will attempt to find this out once I pull the drive. I have done low level drive repairs in the past and have the software for it. I usually use a USB boot drive loaded with linux and run Gparted.
4. Firmware and a disclaimer: I am making an assumption with no hard facts yet. When the firmware update CD is run and the firmware is update from say v1.47 to 2.23 or 2.3 to 2.24, that new firmware most likely overwrites the previous firmware. I some cases these can be stored on a CMOS type ROM chip and or on a physical HDD in one of the early sectors. I was unable to find any discussion on any forums regarding this. If the firmware is written to the HDD then it would overwrite the old firmware and not create file clutter to avoid errors. Same goes if it is written to a ROM chip as they have very limited storage space. Here is what I am getting at, if the firmware is now on the new SSD and then you rerun and install the firmware, you should have a clean image since the new drive doesn't have sector errors where it is stored. It should then be a clean drive which you could then create an ISO image from for future distribution to anyone who needs it. Of course, you will need your car specific VIN codes for the features you wish to activate and do this using a PIWIS 2 or 3 programmer if you are using another cars drive image.
5. Main amp not turning on: I found one instance where someone replaced the 6 - 2200uF caps and that seemed to resolve most if not all of their issues with the main speak amp not turning on. The sub amp always seems to work just fine. There may also be a relay not responding correctly when the PCM 3.0 firmware boots up and tries to connect with the amp. This was what someone from Becker Auto Sound told me about after I spoke with them the other day. Becker Auto Sound does all the troubleshooting, rebuilds, and repairs for these units.
6. Bluetooth: I was also informed from Becker Auto Sound that issues surrounding bluetooth can be related to the BT module in the radio and/or the firmware/HDD drive corruption and possible another critical hardware element on the main board. I have tried to find a replacement bluetooth module and was unsuccessful in that endeavor. In my case I am guessing it could be several issues but I was thinking it is likely the BT module as the software keeps trying to turn it on and it wont respond. The BT module did respond when we forced it on using the PIWIS 3 programmer. When it was on, the BT sound during calls were very clear and the connection was solid. As soon as I restarted the car, I was unable to turn the BT module back on as per the radio text prompts.
7. Maps: one the firmware has the cars codes to activate NAV, the maps system just needs the last loaded map DVD to get it running again. Unfortunately, there is no way to find out ones last loaded map version unless you or the deal keeps track of it. Often what happens is the deal activates it then doesn't update your Porsche service information to let it know what changes have been made to the original build coding sheet.

Bruce:
You mentioned that I took a complex situation and made it more complex. I am not sure what you are referring to. Let me restate my previous post. I first pulled out all the old NAV-TV junk that the previous owner installed. Once it was all out, I went back to factory only hardware. I then reloaded the firmware v2.23 and recoded the car to its original build state. I then reflashed the firmware about 2 more times using the update to v2.24 and recoded it again to make sure it all took. When the radio rebooted, everything was working perfectly and like it should out of the factory. This is the ideal state to start with for all troubleshooting. If I am incorrect, kindly let me know how you see it differently. This is the very state I always go to when trouble shooting all computer hardware and firmware before I move on to the HDD and start to analyze its condition. The PCM 3.0 radio is basically a simple computer that needs a BIOS, firmware, and storage device to function properly.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:41 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

I don't have an understanding of how or where in the unit firmware is stored. It is my understanding certain configuration settings are stored on the drive but that is the extent of my knowledge. I found a few folks very helpful on the Cayenne forums who pioneered this move to an SSD.

Regarding ISO images, there were folks who said they saved them, you need to dig deeper and find those posts. As far as I know, IIRC, there was one person who used another's ISO successfully, but did require a trip to the dealer. I am not sure if that was a 997 or Cayenne owner nor what their system configuration was. My memory is not that good.

Regarding the comments from the repair facility, what you said was the first I heard of their comments. I have contacted Becker in NJ myself and they refused to give me any information at all.. totally zero help, except that they required a minimum dollar payment (I remember it being very high) and to send the unit in to them. Again, they gave me no data and wanted my check.

Regarding making a complex situation more complex, I am sorry if what I said implies you made some sort of mistake. But as I read your first post, you did not note you removed the old stuff and then stated what the issues were after that. Further, I have read that updating these systems can be problematic and in some cases, bricked the unit. I have an early build 2009 and discovered a few bugs in my maps... such settings reverting back to factory.... and wanted to update my firmware and maps. But I decided not to given the possibility of bricking the system. Your comments that bluetooth can fail in these systems due to corrupted firmware is totally new to me... just never heard of that nor have I read that bluetooth even fails. Given the previous mods of the original owner... well that makes me skeptical that the failure was independent. Again, I am totally speculating.

I am no expert in these symptoms, just a hack who dicks with my car, its systems, and obtains much of my information from these forums.

Good luck and post your journey as we can all learn from your experiences.

Peace
The following users liked this post:
GasmanHaus (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 10:35 PM
GasmanHaus
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tj40
The update CD's can be ordered from dealers, you may have to wait a while as most seem to have to be ordered from Germany. I ordered some from Gaudin Porsche and I've been waiting a while - they did quote 6 - 8 weeks for parts ordered from Germany.

The part number for the latest is WKD-952-900-16, the last two digits are churned every year. Pricing on these is surprisingly random - the -13 and -14 discs are 1 cent! - yes likely the cheapest Porsche part you can get. The -15 disc is $19.11

Hope this helps...
Tj40 - Thank you for the latest part number. I will contact the place I got v2.23 from, Vertex Auto, and see if they can get me the latest firmware.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:45 PM
GasmanHaus
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I don't have an understanding of how or where in the unit firmware is stored. It is my understanding certain configuration settings are stored on the drive but that is the extent of my knowledge. I found a few folks very helpful on the Cayenne forums who pioneered this move to an SSD.

Regarding ISO images, there were folks who said they saved them, you need to dig deeper and find those posts. As far as I know, IIRC, there was one person who used another's ISO successfully, but did require a trip to the dealer. I am not sure if that was a 997 or Cayenne owner nor what their system configuration was. My memory is not that good.

Regarding the comments from the repair facility, what you said was the first I heard of their comments. I have contacted Becker in NJ myself and they refused to give me any information at all.. totally zero help, except that they required a minimum dollar payment (I remember it being very high) and to send the unit in to them. Again, they gave me no data and wanted my check.

Regarding making a complex situation more complex, I am sorry if what I said implies you made some sort of mistake. But as I read your first post, you did not note you removed the old stuff and then stated what the issues were after that. Further, I have read that updating these systems can be problematic and in some cases, bricked the unit. I have an early build 2009 and discovered a few bugs in my maps... such settings reverting back to factory.... and wanted to update my firmware and maps. But I decided not to given the possibility of bricking the system. Your comments that bluetooth can fail in these systems due to corrupted firmware is totally new to me... just never heard of that nor have I read that bluetooth even fails. Given the previous mods of the original owner... well that makes me skeptical that the failure was independent. Again, I am totally speculating.

I am no expert in these symptoms, just a hack who dicks with my car, its systems, and obtains much of my information from these forums.

Good luck and post your journey as we can all learn from your experiences.

Peace
Bruce - appreciate all your knowledge and contributions.

Sorry if my original post made it confusing to follow what I did but it was Step 1 where I described my process. I did write a long post and that sometimes makes things hard to full read and follow. I will try to keep my posts a bit shorter in the future.

I agree that Becker doesn't go into deep details but I did get enough information from them to feel like they know what they are doing, can get main boards and internal modules and seem to be able to repair the internal HDD and then recode everything as needed. In Los Angles there is a place that fixes Porsche radios, called Hi Tech Electronic Services. I found a post by another user that talks about them as a viable option but that Becker is the main Porsche supplier and repairer of the radios. I have no information to support or deny this claim.

I have my copy gear so this weekend I hope to pull the HDD and clone it, then make an ISO image, and finally to see what corruption may be evident on the drive that I can repair. I will keep everyone posted.

I hope this thread will help us all figure out what is the ideal path to go down when our radio malfunctions so we save time, money, and get the results we are after. If we compile enough information from older posts with newer information, we finally get closer to a complete reference for PCM 3.0 issues and fixes
Old 07-22-2022, 11:56 PM
GasmanHaus
7th Gear

Regarding Firmware and where it may be stored
I found this post from user named Teddis regarding the PCM O/S:
diy-diayor-pcm-3-1-hard-drive-hdd-to-ssd-replacement-and-backup.180790
Teddis - "From what I know the PCM O/S runs from embedded firmware. The HDD now SDD,
is like a repository that holds BT connections history, NAV keys, Musicbox mp3, etc. I don’t believe it launches any Apps. It will not see a lot of write cycles…..more reads."

If the firmware is embedded on an internal chip, then this would make a lot of sense as it is the same on computers. It is rare for computer firmwares to become corrupt unless you lose power during the update, as an example. In that case, you would most likely brick your radio as you would your computer. Most chips are soldered onto the motherboard (mainboard) making it challenging to replace the chip.

Bluetooth failure on PCM 3.0
I you lose say Bluetooth functionality, as I have, then it would make sense that it is likely a hardware failure and not the firmware trying to find and turn it on. In my case, the firmware menus all work for BT but it fails to turn it on every time I touch the button on the screen to activate BT and turn on BT. If there is a user replaceable BT module then I would certainly like to find a replacement part to see if that solves the issue. If anyone knows where to get internal radio parts, let me know. If I find a source, I will post it. One could always try and find a cheap dead unit for parts to purchase and strip.

Cloning HDD

This another method for cloning that a user named Santrix did from macanforums. Use the link above and scroll to the top of the post to see how he did it using this device.
Santrix - "Here is a link for a stand alone cloner that will do it without software in about 30 minutes. It is a SATA cloner so you would need and adapter to convert IDE to SATA or find an IDE drive cloner"
Amazon.com: WEme USB C 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Dock Docking Station, SSD HDD Disk Duplicator Cloner for Dual Bay 2.5 3.5 Inch SATA I II III, Support UASP and Auto Sleep and 2X 12TB, Black : Electronics Amazon.com: WEme USB C 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Dock Docking Station, SSD HDD Disk Duplicator Cloner for Dual Bay 2.5 3.5 Inch SATA I II III, Support UASP and Auto Sleep and 2X 12TB, Black : Electronics

Last edited by GasmanHaus; 07-24-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:17 AM
Nate R
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
Thanks for this information, I needed to update mine from 2.20 and found the -16 disc for a few cents, as you mentioned.

WKD-952-900-16 Update CD PCM 3.0 $0.24 1 $0.24
where did you order this from? I am still on 1.14 and need to adjust the volume for my NM CarPlay...
Old 07-27-2022, 11:53 AM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Circle Porsche Long Beach (www.porschepartsnow.com). Their prices are normally better than Sunset, Pelican, etc. and offer local pickup (for $5) or delivery.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:21 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default off topic but nav system reads in KM- can't change it back

Any ideas? Kind of frustrating but can live with it. All else is excellent.

Charlie
Old 09-09-2022, 12:50 PM
Drejw2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
Circle Porsche Long Beach (www.porschepartsnow.com). Their prices are normally better than Sunset, Pelican, etc. and offer local pickup (for $5) or delivery.
once you have the discs, can you just update the software without updating the maps that needs a dealer to code it?

Quick Reply: 2009 997.2 PCM 3.0 issues and firmware update CDs