Sponsored by:

need help, possible purchase.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022 | 08:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
What is PVT, whats the special suspension? I've been here a long time and don't remember PVT in relation to suspension
It's PTV, which is Porsche Torque Vectoring and has tondo with the way the car delivers power to the driven wheels.
Old 07-13-2022 | 08:20 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

The Porsche Torque Vectoring is a mistake. PTV wasn't an option until the 981/991 MY. They're confusing it with a limited slip differential.
The following users liked this post:
ManoTexas (07-13-2022)
Old 07-14-2022 | 10:02 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Actually the build sheet on the car has PTV and doing some research it was in later 997.2 cars starting with the Turbo S. Seems like it was added to this car as well, working with the limited slip differential. What one Rennlist member says about the PTV on the 997.2:

Porsche Torque Vectoring impacts only the car's rear brakes and cannot be disabled. However, it is not active unless the driver is using the throttle. PTV "enables variable drive-torque distribution at the rear axle....By using gentle brake interventions that are imperceptible to the driver at the rear wheels on the inside of the bend, PTV improves steering performance and steering precision. The vehicle follows the steering angle of the front wheels more precisely. Understeer is almost fully prevented in limit situations. This in turn enhances the lateral-acceleration potential. Higher cornering speeds are then possible" (911 [997.2] TurboOwner'sManual).

My take, the car is nicely optioned with the only thing missing on my list would be PSE and the adaptive seats. You have some nice aftermarket exhaust options so no big deal. But everything from the full leather, PTV, Sport PSAM (sport suspension with PSAM), turbo wheels with spacers and the CPO talks to me. Price is a bit high but to be honest very hard to find manual 997.2s like this. CPO would give me piece of mind.
Old 07-14-2022 | 12:58 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

The price is high, however it looks like a great car and decent spec. You really can’t go wrong with a 997.2 Manual, long term.

So if you like the car and don’t mind slightly overpaying due to spec/color combo, then go for it.

However the left side of my brain would say we are heading into a recession and the last time this happened these fun cars were selling at a huge discount.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 1996 NSX-T Red/Black Manual with 50k miles selling for $30k in 2009 on NSX Prime. Kick myself often on that one.

Unlike 2008, the prices being asked for some of these cars are insane compared to two years ago.

We have seen such a huge run up, who knows how large the correction there will be.

As an example, I found my 2009 C2 6MT Coupe with 41k miles for $39k on PCA Mart in 2020. Honestly it was priced low at the time but only off around $6k.
Old 07-14-2022 | 05:04 PM
Durling21
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
The price is high, however it looks like a great car and decent spec. You really can’t go wrong with a 997.2 Manual, long term.

So if you like the car and don’t mind slightly overpaying due to spec/color combo, then go for it.

However the left side of my brain would say we are heading into a recession and the last time this happened these fun cars were selling at a huge discount.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 1996 NSX-T Red/Black Manual with 50k miles selling for $30k in 2009 on NSX Prime. Kick myself often on that one.

Unlike 2008, the prices being asked for some of these cars are insane compared to two years ago.

We have seen such a huge run up, who knows how large the correction there will be.

As an example, I found my 2009 C2 6MT Coupe with 41k miles for $39k on PCA Mart in 2020. Honestly it was priced low at the time but only off around $6k.
I keep thinking the same thing that the price of these things will go down but with the push for EV’s I really don’t think prices are gonna budge much especially .2 MT cars due to a small supply. Remember everyone said the air cooled cars were gonna come back to reality and they didn’t.
ATX_Native (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022 | 05:12 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Durling21
I keep thinking the same thing that the price of these things will go down but with the push for EV’s I really don’t think prices are gonna budge much especially .2 MT cars due to a small supply. Remember everyone said the air cooled cars were gonna come back to reality and they didn’t.
True.

With the Cayman/Boxster next Gen going all electric the Spyder, GT4 and GT4RS should hold and appreciate as more are taken off the road every year due to accidents.

The 911 should not be far behind.
Old 07-14-2022 | 06:58 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Some logic I would be thinking if I was the potential buyer of this car:
  • The ask is 80k
  • CPO on a Porsche is a $3000.00 value - now down to $77k.
  • With 50k mileage on a 10 year old car, comes down to 5k miles a year. Standard should be 10k year a year so getting additional 5k miles. $.25 x 5000 = $1250.00 bonus - now down to $75,750.00

Hagerty estimates a concours condition#1 car at $75,000 and a condition#2 car at $64,500.00. Say we go with the medium and say $70k.

I'm very close to the current value of this car. I'm not going to find a lot of 997.2 manuals for sale with CPO.

Summation: I would buy it especially if I can get some discount from the dealer.

Last edited by wardrive; 07-14-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2022 | 09:01 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wardrive
Actually the build sheet on the car has PTV and doing some research it was in later 997.2 cars starting with the Turbo S. Seems like it was added to this car as well, working with the limited slip differential. What one Rennlist member says about the PTV on the 997.2:

Porsche Torque Vectoring impacts only the car's rear brakes and cannot be disabled. However, it is not active unless the driver is using the throttle. PTV "enables variable drive-torque distribution at the rear axle....By using gentle brake interventions that are imperceptible to the driver at the rear wheels on the inside of the bend, PTV improves steering performance and steering precision. The vehicle follows the steering angle of the front wheels more precisely. Understeer is almost fully prevented in limit situations. This in turn enhances the lateral-acceleration potential. Higher cornering speeds are then possible" (911 [997.2] TurboOwner'sManual).

My take, the car is nicely optioned with the only thing missing on my list would be PSE and the adaptive seats. You have some nice aftermarket exhaust options so no big deal. But everything from the full leather, PTV, Sport PSAM (sport suspension with PSAM), turbo wheels with spacers and the CPO talks to me. Price is a bit high but to be honest very hard to find manual 997.2s like this. CPO would give me piece of mind.

I'm about positive the PTV wasn't available on a S car if first available only on a Turbo S of that same vintage. I went through literally hundreds of build sheets of 997 GTS models putting together the GTS 6spd/PDK thread. Never once saw PTV listed as an option. That would have been exclusive to the Turbo or Turbo S.
Old 07-14-2022 | 11:16 PM
mweisdorfer
4th Gear

80k is a lot of money for that particular car. The CPO part is why they are charging that much. Its only going to be CPO for how long anyways? The 997.2 is fairly stout from what I have read about it. Not much can go wrong with them and what does go wrong is fixable, if you can turn a wrench. I'd want to know if or how often the car was tracked.
Old 07-15-2022 | 09:44 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

I like the car. Nicely optioned manual car with full leather which really really really makes time in the car so much enjoyable. Perhaps just the lighting but the front bumper looks like it has been resprayed. Price, not particularly great, but buyers cost remorse doesn’t last too long. I just paid about $10k more than last year’s going price for a Boxster for my wife. She just loves the car so it is what it is and her joy is priceless as the saying goes.
Old 07-15-2022 | 11:05 PM
Astro_Train
Rennlist Member

Nicely optioned car.. but like everyone said already, you are paying for certification. Me.. I would never buy a car with an accident.. too many variables unless you have documentation on who did the repairs and what was repaired on the car. For over $20k less you can buy this.. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/f...-d4fa0cf90e60/

once you cross over into 80k plus territory it is time to look at a widebody as they will always have a better value in the long term.
Old 07-16-2022 | 04:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ATX_Native

All we can do with prices of cars, houses and recessions is guesswork. If we all got it right all the time we would all be millionaires and comfortably retired by now. I sell real estate and as an example, I have a wealthy client who came close to buying a $3.2m house on Longboat Key, FL about 3 years ago. Just a small vacation home for him and his wife. He liked the house a lot but was convinced we were on the brink of a recession and equally convinced he could buy that house for perhaps 30% less a year later.

That house sold for $6.3m not long ago. No improvements since he looked at it 3 years ago so he could have doubled his money doing nothing but paying property taxes and utilities for 3 years. A pittance compared to the appreciation.

Point being that this client is very savvy and hasn't gotten to where he is being stupid. He's got two other houses worth three times the one he passed on. He just got it 100% wrong with his prediction of where the economy and the housing market was going at the time he considered this purchase. So again, I suspect trying to predict where anything will be priced at going forward is guesswork and not much more. Some get it right but it seems about the same amount of those who get it right get it wrong. But that's what makes a market.
Old 07-16-2022 | 03:44 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

I'll say this:

If the prices do come down significantly I will be buying a GTS coupe to go with my cab but I'm not counting on it!

elwademd (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022 | 06:23 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I sell real estate and as an example, I have a wealthy client who came close to buying a $3.2m house on Longboat Key, FL about 3 years ago. Just a small vacation home for him and his wife. He liked the house a lot but was convinced we were on the brink of a recession and equally convinced he could buy that house for perhaps 30% less a year later.

That house sold for $6.3m not long ago. No improvements since he looked at it 3 years ago so he could have doubled his money doing nothing but paying property taxes and utilities for 3 years. A pittance compared to the appreciation.
Wow. Thats an incredible story. And makes buying our Porsches seem like buying Big Macs (a potential loss of 3 mil is something not many people are going to experience when passing on a Porsche).

I've been tracking Porsches long enough now that I've been seeing the cars I passed up on - and I mean passed up on because I had 1st right to buy before it was sold to the current owners. These current owners are now selling the same cars for an avg of 30% price increase from my buy price 2 years back. But hearing that real estate story puts things in perspective.

And I do like the overall message @sandwedge is saying, we don't know what the market will be tomorrow. So if you really been looking for that 997.2 for a while and you find the right car you like - and can afford it. Just do it.
elwademd (07-16-2022)
Old 07-17-2022 | 04:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wardrive
Wow. Thats an incredible story. And makes buying our Porsches seem like buying Big Macs (a potential loss of 3 mil is something not many people are going to experience when passing on a Porsche).

I've been tracking Porsches long enough now that I've been seeing the cars I passed up on - and I mean passed up on because I had 1st right to buy before it was sold to the current owners. These current owners are now selling the same cars for an avg of 30% price increase from my buy price 2 years back. But hearing that real estate story puts things in perspective.

And I do like the overall message @sandwedge is saying, we don't know what the market will be tomorrow. So if you really been looking for that 997.2 for a while and you find the right car you like - and can afford it. Just do it.
You got my message exactly right. It wasn't meant to be advice. Just that some (or many) think they know where car, real estate and pick any market you want is headed and make their decisions accordingly. They base their decisions on cable news discussions and internet/social media gossip and predictions by people who as I said can do nothing but educated guessing. Some of these market predictors/experts get it right now and then while others end up eating their words.

Drifting a bit off course here now but a good example is political in nature with Five Thirty Eight https://fivethirtyeight.com/ Nate Silver at Five Thirty Eight was regarded as the gold standard in forecasting politics and he got unlimited air time on all the news networks.....until the last election where he blew it in a big way. You don't hear his name much anymore.

Moral of the story as I see it is.... when people who spend their entire day and maybe their entire night with access to data and information few have access to and get paid very well for it get it so drastically wrong, who's opinion and analysis do you trust and follow? Regardless of whether it's politics, cars, housing or take your pick. I don't have a good answer. Just observing.
Spike Speakus (07-18-2022)

Quick Reply: need help, possible purchase.......