Sponsored by:

Engine Damaged - 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 04:26 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Regarding "fighting for an engine rebuild/replacement" if you mean from Porsche, you probably won't get very far, unfortunately.
If you like the car and have attachment to it, rebuild with a company that will solve the problems that can cause a future failure.
If you aren't connected with the car and it's just a sports car and you'd be happy getting something else, find someone to buy as is and get rid of it now.
I'd personally sell it as is. I wouldn't want to rebuild with a less than reliable builder or put a random engine in it (like you also mentioned you wanted to avoid) and then have issues for the new owner down the road.
Racing on track narrows any chances on fighting and winning a replacement engine argument.
Racing on track seriously increases engine detonation/grenading.
I remember when on 996 forum, several 996 engines grenading during track events.
Sorry you have to deal with his. Good luck finding replacement. I would buy a good well documented used engine - They are out there.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:20 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Not sure I would touch that car unless I knew who built it and the details. If it is an FSI build, which I doubt I would 100% say it is worth the ask. If it is a DYI build using steel sleeves, then I think it is a big risk. If is a shop build using an LN block then I would want to talk with the owner/builder and get details on what all was done.
My understanding is that it was done correctly by a reputable local shop with LN sleeves. @G.I.G. has details should the OP be interested. It’s worth considering.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:13 PM
PCarFan16
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Not the conventional route, but intriguing nonetheless. LS swap is the direction I’ll go if my 3.6 ever bites it.

https://www.chavisperformanceengineering.com
Old 05-30-2022, 11:46 AM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PCarFan16
Not the conventional route, but intriguing nonetheless. LS swap is the direction I’ll go if my 3.6 ever bites it.

https://www.chavisperformanceengineering.com
Cool website! Looks like about $8500 for all the components and wiring harness + Whatever flavor LS you choose...
Old 05-30-2022, 12:01 PM
JRBucks
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

OT. When you rebuild these are there hotter cams you can use?
Also does porting the heads and port matching the intake to the heads gain you any power?
And are there any net gains in upsizing the injectors or is the stock size more than adequate?

OP if you love the car, rebuild. Take your time and find a good reputable shop you're comfortable with. If not, sell it as a roller. There is more $$$ than just buying a junkyard motor if you want to do it right. You probably want to address the RMS, injectors, clutch, and a few other "While you're in there" items. Plus labor if you don't do the work yourself. And then there is the risk associated with buying a junkyard motor.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:55 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Not sure I would touch that car unless I knew who built it and the details. If it is an FSI build, which I doubt I would 100% say it is worth the ask. If it is a DYI build using steel sleeves, then I think it is a big risk. If is a shop build using an LN block then I would want to talk with the owner/builder and get details on what all was done.
I think @G.I.G. test drove that one. He's in your neck of the woods. He might have something to add...

Last edited by 8KaboveMSL; 05-31-2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:48 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

Here is a HUGE project:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...04-engine.html

DOOOO IT!!
Come to the darkside.
haha.

I don't think this would actually be the most nonsensical project if you could cut labor costs down with wrenching. Also, you could easily put in an amazing suspension to match the engine and trans. If you have the top of the line 997.1 interior, then it would be a really interesting swap. No badges.

I would assume this would be an easier swap than the dude who swapped a K24 into a 997 chassis in any case.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:56 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by zdet
My understanding is that it was done correctly by a reputable local shop with LN sleeves. @G.I.G. has details should the OP be interested. It’s worth considering.
I looked into this car fairly seriously and can vouch for the build and the shop that did it. The shop sent the case halves to LN to have it re-sleeved with their Nickies and the shop that performed the work locally did it to LN's specs and recommendations, including new fuel injectors. I actually found out about this shop when I reached out to LN initially and they stated that they had 3 sets of case halves from this one particular shop. While LN doesn't have an official "authorized" shop list that I'm aware of, they specifically put me in touch with them. After speaking with them several times and stopping by their shop, they definitely sound like the real deal.

Originally Posted by 8KaboveMSL
I think @G.I.G. test drove that one. He's in your neck of the woods. He might have something to add...
Yes, I drove the car and can confirm that it is a solid running engine. Everything you read about with the increased mid-range torque is true. I think it could potentially benefit from a tune, but it definitely pulled like a freight train.

OP, if you're still considering your options, feel free to DM me and I can put you in touch with the shop that did the build and the sales rep I was working with at Mercedes Benz of Littleton. For what the dealer has the car listed at, you're basically buying a 4.0L and PCCB's with a chassis thrown in next to free. Not a bad deal, especially if you can do some or all of the work yourself to swap the engines and brakes.
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (06-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Engine Damaged - 997.1