Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Suspension / Wheels - Now Dash lights and Fault Codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022 | 04:18 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Default Changed Suspension / Wheels - Now Dash lights and Fault Codes

About 50 miles ago, I had the lowered suspension removed and a stock set up swapped in on my 09 997.2. I also changed my 18" wheels for a set of 19" Sport Classic style wheels. Everything was great for a week or so. I had the car out several times and it ran and rode fantastic.

Yesterday about 1 mile into a trip, the dash lit up with PSM failure, ABS failure, Driver assist off, and the car went into limp mode.

I tried recycling the car a couple times, but each time about a mile into a drive the car dash lights up and goes into limp mode.

With my code reader I see the following DME codes:
U0418 - Invalid data received from brake system control unit
P0503 - Vehicle speed signal PSM/ASR
P1600 - Communication with PSM control unit
P1627 - Communication with PSM control unit

In the PSM module I get:
4222 - Wheel speed monitoring

I've tried to do my research on these codes, but the threads I am finding typically don't lead to any final solution. I've seen people suggest anything from Wheel Speed Sensors to MAF to Broken Wires in the Harness to AOS. I don't know much about these codes, but I guess they'd point to a wheel speed sensor, however I'm also reading threads that are saying its rarely actually your wheel speed sensor?

I'd like to think that it is related to the recent work that was done on the car, since I did not have any of these symptoms until the suspension / wheels were swapped.

Any ideas on what I could check would be great! Thanks a lot.
Old 05-21-2022 | 06:53 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 179K miles

Sounds like they damaged one of your electronic cables to your wheel hubs. All of that stuff is in the wheel carrier and such. Start pulling the wheels and examine the electrical cables and connections. You will easily see these cables and plugs/sockets as they are clipped to the wheel carrier. Also, make sure you selected 19" wheels in your dash menu... I doubt this would have caused this issue, but you never know with these crazy systems.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (05-22-2022)
Old 05-24-2022 | 11:50 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 179K miles

Sounds like they damaged one of your electronic cables to your wheel hubs. All of that stuff is in the wheel carrier and such. Start pulling the wheels and examine the electrical cables and connections. You will easily see these cables and plugs/sockets as they are clipped to the wheel carrier. Also, make sure you selected 19" wheels in your dash menu... I doubt this would have caused this issue, but you never know with these crazy systems.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
This. The wires to the individual shocks that connect to the PASM module are not fused. If you damage these wires at all, you may need to replace both the PASM control module and the shock in question - the wiring to the shock is not serviceable. I replaced my springs with Eibachs and bumped my driver-front shock wires against the fender on removal; dealer had to replace the shock and the control module. $2,200 CAD.
Old 05-24-2022 | 06:21 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! Geez. Hoping this isn't the case. As crazy as it sounds, I did switch the TPMS mode from 18" to 19" and let the system go through its relearning procedure and the car didn't go into limp mode. I am still getting a fault message, but hoping that may clear. That being said, I don't have PASM on my car, just the standard suspension.
Old 05-25-2022 | 12:50 AM
Calabasas Dave
Intermediate

A few months ago I did the opposite myself - stock to Bilstein B-8's with lowering springs... and have the same wheels you just got...

There is one electrical connection on each caliper and hub that needs to be unplugged to get the old shock and struts out and then plugged back in ... hopefully they just did not plug one back in properly. They also need to run the wire-set into a gromet on the struts... if they forgot to put it back properly it could hang improperly and engage the tire during use...

If you do not know what you are doing, and don't know/trust the shop you went to you might take it to another shop for them to look at so they can show you what is wrong... the shop that did the install improperly may tell you that they were not at fault if you don't know what to look for... alternatively you can insist that you are there when they put it up on the lift and pull the wheels...

I would recommend reviewing the Pelican Parts DIY shock/strut replacement (which should take you 10 minutes to review so you can familiarize yourself with the installation proceedure...

good luck on this - hopefully it is a minor fix...

Quick Reply: Changed Suspension / Wheels - Now Dash lights and Fault Codes