997.1 Clutch/Brake Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 02:00 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,723 Likes on 4,276 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
OK, I've purchased a power bleeder, catch bottles and tubes, as well as a pass-through socket set thanks to the pro tip from @Petza914, so I'm ready to tackle this project. After watching some YouTube videos and reading through this thread and others, I have one remaining question: If I were to do the "dry method" (using the power bleeder to pressurize the system only) and do not fill the power bleeder with fluid, will I have to stop mid-bleed to refill the reservoir? I know I will need to get as much of the old fluid out with a turkey baster first, then fill the reservoir to the top with new fluid. However, the line going from the reservoir to the clutch slave cylinder is at the top of the reservoir, and I don't want to get air into the system. It seems as though you would only be able to get a handful of ounces through the line before the fluid level in the reservoir would drop below the clutch line, allowing air into the system. So can I use the power bleeder dry, or will I need to fill the power bleeder with fluid in order to keep air out of the system?
Yes, remove and refill after each corner. The reservoir going dry will cost you 2-3 more bottles of fluid and a bunch of time.

Cover the fender with a plastic trash bag and then a T-shirt or towel over that just in case.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:02 PM
fireman
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Sort of an inside joke but "Hey look its a foley for a porshe"
Great posts Im going to have to do this shortly.
Would this be easier to do when changing the clutch? (which I have to do also)?
The following users liked this post:
Hootsama (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 02:08 PM
fireman
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Clutch bleeder for the human body....
The following users liked this post:
TheMurse (07-13-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 01:01 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by andino
If you're just doing a bleed, then you'll likely be fine with a full reservoir. Just top it off at the end after bleeding. If you're doing a flush, then you'll need to top off midway. Not sure which bleeder you got but hopefully it has a valve and disconnect so you don't need to release/repump each time you top off. Otherwise, you'll have the small inconvenience of having to do that song and dance but it beats cleaning fluid out of the bleeder tank imo.

edit: I recommend placing a flashlight on the top of the tank facing inside so you can easily see the fluid level as you're working. There's a small hole in the plastic panel to view the level if you're not removing it.
OK, thanks. I plan on flushing the system, so I'll probably wait until I can get a friend to help me out with the clutch pedal and keep an eye on the fluid reservoir while I'm under the car. Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Clutch/Brake Fluid Question