Sponsored by:

What's This Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 09:53 PM
J-Lung
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Post What's This Noise?

On a recent trip to the "Tail of the Dragon" my car made a bad squealing noise from the front right corner, but only after hundreds of hard turns and only under hard braking. I had the same thing happen one other time during the trip, also on a hard left turn. The noise stopped when I backed off. Thoughts?

Last edited by J-Lung; 05-04-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:34 PM
Rgarcia
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess would be brakes.
The following users liked this post:
J-Lung (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 10:56 PM
hbrakes
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'd second that - sounds a lot like brakes. Not necessarily the screech of them getting low, maybe contaminated, or just hot.

Last edited by hbrakes; 05-04-2022 at 10:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hbrakes:
Hella-Buggin' (05-05-2022), J-Lung (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 02:12 AM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Do you have non-OEM brake pads? If so, you'll need to re-bed them

https://pages.ferodoracing.com/produ...s/pad-bedding/
J-Lung (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 08:06 AM
J-Lung
AutoX

Thanks guys - I was thinking it was the brakes, but not sure why it only happened after a lot of repeated build up. I had somebody else suggest the sound is like rotor flex touching pads. He suggested I check the wheel bearing for play.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Lung
Thanks guys - I was thinking it was the brakes, but not sure why it only happened after a lot of repeated build up. I had somebody else suggest the sound is like rotor flex touching pads. He suggested I check the wheel bearing for play.
I was going to say that same thing. The wheels load laterally on the opposite side when you turn right vs left which is why it only makes the noise when you load it in a left turn and not a right turn. If you got the brakes hot enough to create that squealing noise, I would also suggest a brake bleed to get that fluid out of the calipers. If the rotor looks bluish, it's also glazed and needs to be sanded then cleaned with red can brake cleaner and same.wirh the pads, then rebed the brakes.

What causes the noise is oscillation between the caliper piston and the back of the brake pad carrier. To eliminate it you'll need to do something to restick the pad to the caliper pistons either with new OEM pad dampeners - these are the adhesive rubber pads with metal prong that lock them into the caliper piston or with a liquid anti-squeal product from CRC or Permatex.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
Coolwnc (05-05-2022), J-Lung (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:58 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 179K miles

Sounds like a classic hot brake. When I first tracked my car, I was freaked by the noise... you almost never hear that squeaking and grinding and metal-on-metal awfulness on the street. To test this out, you can make your brakes get hot on the street by finding a road and do rolling hot accelerations and hard stops. You can get them hot enough to squeal. There is nothing wrong with a squealing hot brake. It is what they do.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2022, 03:58 PM
J-Lung
AutoX

179K miles with track experience! Thank Bruce for the feedback. I was thinking it could be a hot brake squeal . . . I haven't tracked the car, so haven't heard that noise before. In thinking about it, on public roads, I feel I can take a left turn harder than a right, since a head on collision could result if I over cook a right as opposed to an "off" with a left. Not good to overcook a turn either way I guess . . . .
Old 05-05-2022, 04:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
You can get them hot enough to squeal. There is nothing wrong with a squealing hot brake. It is what they do.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Sorry, but I disagree. The reason brakes squeal is because of oscillation. It's usually race car brakes that we're used to hear do it so we correlate hot track brakes to the squeal noise, but it's because those pad compounds are much harder so they oscillate more than street compounds. If street pads are squealing, it's because the vibration dampeners are no longer working and to get street pads hot enough to squeal like race pads, the car is either on a track or the driver is over-braking the car. Street cars brakes don't start making noise even when running ridiculous speeds through Tail of the Dragon and similar curvy mounting roads. If they've gotten hot enough to make that noise, they're now glazed and regular braking will be compromised until that super hard fused layer is removed.

If he runs racing hardness pads, then the above doesn't apply and then it's just normal brake pad noise from those super hard pads designed to work optimally and high temperatures, but if running racing pads, he'd likely know this already and the speeds in the video aren't high enough to create that kind of heat, especially with the acceleration time between corners
J-Lung (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:54 PM
J-Lung
AutoX

I appreciate it! It sounds like a worthwhile effort to get the brakes services as you recommend.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:10 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Sorry, but I disagree. The reason brakes squeal is because of oscillation. It's usually race car brakes that we're used to hear do it so we correlate hot track brakes to the squeal noise, but it's because those pad compounds are much harder so they oscillate more than street compounds. If street pads are squealing, it's because the vibration dampeners are no longer working and to get street pads hot enough to squeal like race pads, the car is either on a track or the driver is over-braking the car. Street cars brakes don't start making noise even when running ridiculous speeds through Tail of the Dragon and similar curvy mounting roads. If they've gotten hot enough to make that noise, they're now glazed and regular braking will be compromised until that super hard fused layer is removed.

If he runs racing hardness pads, then the above doesn't apply and then it's just normal brake pad noise from those super hard pads designed to work optimally and high temperatures, but if running racing pads, he'd likely know this already and the speeds in the video aren't high enough to create that kind of heat, especially with the acceleration time between corners
I've got pretty chronic squealing from my OEM pads and rotors but haven't nailed down where it's coming from but it's LOUD. Starts happening when they are up to temp but not hot (i.e. no hard driving). I'm going to try and deglaze them again but the fronts are entirely new and installed by a reputable shop. Rears are not new so it's possible they are to blame. More investigation needed but my car sounds like a dang school bus!

Quick Reply: What's This Noise?