Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I’m Thinking about Trading In for a 992 Turbo Cab …

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022 | 03:14 PM
JRBucks
Racer

If you can get an allocation, do it. I personally like the 992 from the outside, especially from the rear. (Except when the spoiler is up on the Carrera's, not an issue with the TT ) Having said that, the digital dash has not grown on me yet, and I miss the armrest pockets on the door. Oh and the cupholders, 992 > 997
Old 05-04-2022 | 03:19 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
The rear is way too busy for my liking and very disappointing when the rear spoiler is deployed with the black underside and curved shape - possibly the ugliest Carrera rear ever when the spoiler is up IMO, and looks like a 90s Mitsubishi Eclipse. I disagree that it will age well - it's a larger, rounder and more bulbous version of the 911 shape and actually looks more like a descendent from the modern VW beetle than the classic 911.

Petza - I totally agree that the spoiler-up rear of the 992 is NOT a good look, but to my eye the 992 Turbo with the fixed wing looks friggin sweet particularly with the staggered wheels

Last edited by North Shore 911; 05-04-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2022 | 03:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Petza - I totally agree that the spoiler-up rear of the 992 is NOT a good look, but to my eye the 992 Turbo with the fixed wing looks friggin sweet particularly with the staggered wheels

Definitely better, still a bit busy for me, but if it presses the right buttons for you, have at it. I'm sure some of my cars others here don't like or woukd want to own, so really, there's only one person's opinion that matters!
Old 05-24-2022 | 04:59 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Quick update: I was offered a Dealer allocation for a Turbo S Cab with a $50k ADM with a changeable order until June 1 and a likely September delivery date. I just couldn’t swallow that pill so I replied that I would be willing to take it for a $25k ADM and a good deal on my 2010 4S Cab as a trade in. While I was actually worried that the Salesman was going to agree, he came back and told me “that won’t happen” as he says he has offers from out-of-state buyers offering to pay $75K ADM! I politely wished him luck and hung up feeling more than relieved that he didn’t take me up on my offer!

This is nuts, particularly as we’re seeing interest rates heading north and the equity market heading south (the Nasdaq is -29% for far in 2022, even more after today!). So I’ll keep patiently waiting for a Turbo S Cab at MSRP while I continue to happily drive the wheels off my 911's
The following users liked this post:
jbkusa (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022 | 05:08 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Quick update: I was offered a Dealer allocation for a Turbo S Cab with a $50k ADM with a changeable order until June 1 and a likely September delivery date. I just couldn’t swallow that pill so I replied that I would be willing to take it for a $25k ADM and a good deal on my 2010 4S Cab as a trade in. While I was actually worried that the Salesman was going to agree, he came back and told me “that won’t happen” as he says he has offers from out-of-state buyers offering to pay $75K ADM! I politely wished him luck and hung up feeling more than relieved that he didn’t take me up on my offer!

This is nuts, particularly as we’re seeing interest rates heading north and the equity market heading south (the Nasdaq is -29% for far in 2022, even more after today!). So I’ll keep patiently waiting for a Turbo S Cab at MSRP while I continue to happily drive the wheels off my 911's
Good call!
Old 05-24-2022 | 06:45 PM
mzat
2nd Gear

Not all dealers are marking up, North Houston Porsche sold to me at sticker (base Cabriolet). The allocation/order/delivery process took over 10 months. The tech is only there if you want it… all the nanny features such as wet mode, lane assist, etc. have the option to disable. It’s remarkably close in driving feel to my previous 991. Contrary to the Eclipse comment, I get the most compliments on the rear view… but with the spoiler down. If the spoiler only lifted straight up, as opposed to hinged up…
Old 05-24-2022 | 06:45 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

I politely wished him luck and hung up feeling more than relieved that he didn’t take me up on my offer!

I know the feeling about being relieved when an offer is refused! There is just something you know in your gut when the market is crazy and deals do not favor the buyer. Being in a sellers market, especially with "usually" depreciating assets, with cars sucks! Usually I can stomach purchasing a car for myself if I feel I am getting a good deal, but not when the dealer has you by the *****. Forget that!

There is a turbo in your future, just be patient. As for me... I never buy cars new. The depreciation hit is something I would rather someone else absorb. Patience and buying a Porsche at the right time and possibly after the first owner may take the sting out of the price gouging dealers are doing now. Best of luck on your search. I am sure that wild hair will be back soon!
Old 05-24-2022 | 06:48 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

I love my 09 997S, I still miss my air cooled initial, 71 911T, and all the smells and carb tuning, Airbox explosions, etc.
each iteration from Air to Water provided interesting changes, improvements, and joys.
each change provided larger, faster heavier and more electronically controlled safety improvements.
the newer models are no longer the light agile Funky vehicles of yesteryear.
they are now high powered bulky cruisers, special models, excepted.
I’ll keep my 09, that is as far as I will go, I will continue to do upgrades, I feel are necessary, to
make me happy.
perhaps, this is why my Grandchildren call me Grumpy!
50 years in PCA is a long time, I guess!
excuse my while I have another glass of wine.

Last edited by larrytrk; 05-24-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2022 | 07:14 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Surprised no has mentioned it, but would a 997 Turbo S be out of the question?
The problem with heavy tech is that after 6-7 years it gets really dated and car companies won’t do anything to update what you got because they want to sell you a new car. Thats
what I like about my 997, all the tech is in the head unit so when my current pioneer unit that has wireless car play gets dated I can just replace with the next best thing. For me the rest of the 997 interior is timeless and I prefer the analog dials in the gauge cluster.

Last edited by Scalp_em; 05-24-2022 at 07:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TommyV44 (05-25-2022)

Quick Reply: So I’m Thinking about Trading In for a 992 Turbo Cab …