Sponsored by:

Raising ride height on 2009 C2

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 03:24 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Raising ride height on 2009 C2

A bit over 6 years ago I bought a pristine 2009 C2 (not "S") that the previous owner had made some substantial suspension changes. Namely and among other things, 19" wheels, springs (don't know the make) and what looks like some aftermarket rear suspension geometry mods. From day one I have not been very happy with the overall ride quality and the front scrapes at every opportunity, which lately has become increasingly aggravating.

Aside from removing and replacing the current springs with something "stock", are there options to raise the car say at least 3/4"? I've read about rubber spacers but don't know if these would be a viable alternative... and no, I really don't like the idea of coil overs but would like alternatives that are much more pocket friendly.

BTW, the car has 28K miles and is a daily driver which is a misnomer since I'm retired and use the car maybe 1-2 times a week for very short trips. Hence, my focus is a comfortable ride with occasional escapes to enjoy the narrow winding mountain roads prevalent throughout the center of the island.

Here's a picture of the current situation:

Old 03-31-2022, 05:14 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Raising your car height beyond stock (first time hearing this) may have the same ill effect as lowering it. Just keep it stock as intended by those smart engineers at Porsche.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:21 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
Raising your car height beyond stock (first time hearing this) may have the same ill effect as lowering it. Just keep it stock as intended by those smart engineers at Porsche.
Thanks for your input but if you re-read my post and carefully look at the picture you'll notice that the current height is well bellow stock.
The following 2 users liked this post by Astur:
myw (03-31-2022), TommyV44 (04-01-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 05:44 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
Thanks for your input but if you re-read my post and carefully look at the picture you'll notice that the current height is well bellow stock.
Long day at the office. I re-read your post and I did see that your car has been lowered which is not stock, and you're looking for a way to raise it up without replacing the spring or shocks. Unfortunately, raising your car cheaply in anyway without replacing the spring and shocks may make it even worse on your ride and handling. I know you don't want that.
You can easily find used stock suspension components (pocket friendly) and convert back to stock height. And while you're at it, if budget allows, refresh (replace) your tie rods, control arms and sway bar bushings and make the car ride and handle like new. Good luck.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 03-31-2022 at 06:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 06:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

2009 C2S 179k miles

If it were me, I would return the car to stock. I drove a base model many times and was going to buy one and found the suspension to be fabulous.

Go to the porsche website and download the parts catalog and start costing it out. You may post wtb in the marketplace as you may get them there. But you need to educate yourself on the whole system.

Maybe take your car to a porsche speedshop and ask them to id what is aftermarket and what is original.

Porsche is known for handling and I want their system.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-31-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:00 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

look for low milage oem shock + springs packaged together, that were removed from a similar (year) car as yours. it doesn't come up often, but does come up.

maybe Im old, but ive sat in 997s with eibach pro kits (not bad ride), h&r (horrible bouncy ride), and in one that had b16 (pretty good) .... but it simply doesnt compare to the way the car feels with stock suspension.

I do get that a lowered 911 looks amazing in a parking lot when standing still, while also doing wonders for taking hard corners at 80mph.... but i just hate the everyday ride quality.

Last edited by myw; 04-01-2022 at 09:49 AM.
TommyV44 (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 12:42 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Going back to stock springs would raise it by at least a half inch I would think? That seems like the lowest effort way to make a change back to stock ride height and see if it gets you what you want
Old 04-01-2022, 04:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripking
Going back to stock springs would raise it by at least a half inch I would think? That seems like the lowest effort way to make a change back to stock ride height and see if it gets you what you want
Probably more than that if he has springs as opposed to coilovers. I say that since Eibach springs drops it by about an inch even and the H&R's by 1.25. The base car sits tall in factory configuration and going by the pictures it's been dropped quiet a bit. Just wonder if any of the lowering springs would bring it down that low.

To the OP: Have you confirmed that you don't have coilovers as opposed to lowering springs?
Old 04-01-2022, 05:51 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

[...]
Aside from removing and replacing the current springs with something "stock", are there options to raise the car say at least 3/4"? I've read about rubber spacers but don't know if these would be a viable alternative... and no, I really don't like the idea of coil overs but would like alternatives that are much more pocket friendly.[...]
I'll try to help with a before/after picture. As others already mentioned, stock-setup will fit your needs. Originally I had Bilstein B12 with original springs (stock setup, top picture) and currently same B12 but lowered with H&R springs 39mm/1.2 inch; it's a standard C2. The ride comfort with the original setup was impeccable and currently it is "tough" but also "firmer" at high speed highway driving. More sportscar-like ;-) and I like the optics. HTH!

Stock B12/stock coils upper picture, stock B12 with H&R coils lower picture.

Last edited by 8x57IRS; 04-01-2022 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-01-2022, 08:38 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I had the same problem when I got mine. The car had H&R springs which dropped it by about 1.5 ", and 19" wheels. I removed the springs (in perfect condition and for sale if anyone wants them), and put stock springs on. Kept the wheels. No issues thereafter. The springs are what raise and lower the car. While the lower springs enhance handling, for daily driving the lowered springs are more aggravation than not.
TommyV44 (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 10:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,723 Likes on 4,276 Posts

You'll need to get proper shocks and springs. Can probably find a complete used set for $500 when someone upgraded to coilovers. Spring spaces or other methods are not the way to do it.
linderpat (04-02-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 10:38 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 299 Posts

First step is to find out what you have going on under there; I would not go to the stock base springs. the car sits too high and it did not ride any better than with the Eibachs Ihad installed. I went from stock springs on a base 997 and lowered it with Eibachs, have 18 inch wheels on Michelin SS4s and my car rides smooth and tight; people comment and are surprised on how nice it rides and to me it has just the right stance. I barely scrape on anything except my very steep driveway if I don't angle correctly.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:02 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

My sincere gratitude to all for your input and insights. Aside from the the suggested options, I would like to refer back to my OP wherein I mentioned the possibility of using spacers to the raise the car.

I've seen post where rubber spacers were used (6mm?? & 3mm??) and even an instance were these were stacked in order increase the effect. Would this option be viable and effective? How about some kind of machined aluminum plate/spacer if such were to be available?

Overall I'm very confident that the brain trust within this forum can offer a feasible, and excuse my naivete, a cost effective solution to a most perplexing problem.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:39 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 299 Posts

Wouldn't the cost of labor to do that be the same as if you replaced the springs with a result that would be questionable in terms of ride and handling? The cost of the springs are really incidental; IIRC they are only about $300 for new Eibachs for example.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:04 PM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

My sincere gratitude to all for your input and insights. Aside from the the suggested options, I would like to refer back to my OP wherein I mentioned the possibility of using spacers to the raise the car.

I've seen post where rubber spacers were used (6mm?? & 3mm??) and even an instance were these were stacked in order increase the effect. Would this option be viable and effective? How about some kind of machined aluminum plate/spacer if such were to be available?

Overall I'm very confident that the brain trust within this forum can offer a feasible, and excuse my naivete, a cost effective solution to a most perplexing problem.
I always think it's interesting when people come onto the forums asking advice, get the correct advice, and then refuse to accept that it is correct.

Just as an example, here is a link to what you are looking for. I do not think this is the correct part because I am not sure of the spring diameter but you can use this an example for cost comparison.

https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Coi...9859/10002/-1#

I have to believe you can get a used set of OE springs for the same amount of money if you place a WTB ad in the marketplace. The labor will be the same whether you install these or replace the springs. The strut assembly has to be disassembled either way. So I do not see any more "cost effective" solution to what is really a very simple problem.

Quick Reply: Raising ride height on 2009 C2