Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the least expensive way to have a key made & programmed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 05:54 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

It never dawned on me but the OP could be a thief and looking for a way to get a key for a 997 he wants to steal?? Feb 2022 join date??
After all, he never did answer my question about how/why he bought a 997 without a key and didn't even listen to it run?

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-28-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:25 PM
Tclane
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
It never dawned on me but the OP could be a thief and looking for a way to get a key for a 997 he wants to steal?? Feb 2022 join date??
After all, he never did answer my question about how/why he bought a 997 without a key and didn't even listen to it run?
Well, I'm not a thief but I did get it for a steal. Picked it up at storage lien sale for $15,000. It's a 2006 911 Cab. Sticker in the windshield says next oil change 62,000 miles. Hopefully the previous owner didn't do his own oil changes. The car is parked in a storage unit next to the wall, so it would be difficult for a tow truck to pull it out without damaging the body. I called several dealers and they said that since I don't have the original key, one must be ordered & cut in Germany. 1-2 week turn around time. The cost for the blade (cut and shipped to the dealer) was consistent at all dealers ($192.) That doesn't include the fob/transponder which was $270-$325. Programming was quoted at $91 from 3 different dealers. All dealers want a copy of your drivers license and proof of ownership (title, registration or sales contract.) I also contacted dozens of locksmiths. Most don't work on German cars or don't have the transponder in stock, although I did find one in the Dallas area who said he could cut a valet key. I wasn't able to locate the 3 button transponder at Suncoast or Sunset. They sell the two button remote, but the dealer told me that the cabriolet has a three button remote. Can anyone confirm that and if correct, what is the third button for? The top?
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 08:30 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Convertible is only a 2-button key for the 997 (frunk, doors). For a Boxster, it’s a 3-button (frunk, doors, trunk).
Old 02-28-2022, 08:40 PM
Tclane
Track Day

Thanks. I asked the guy in the parts department whether it was a two or three button remote and he had to go ask. Apparently he asked the wrong person. He sounded pretty young.
Carreralicious (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 09:17 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tclane
Well, I'm not a thief but I did get it for a steal. Picked it up at storage lien sale for $15,000. It's a 2006 911 Cab. Sticker in the windshield says next oil change 62,000 miles. Hopefully the previous owner didn't do his own oil changes. The car is parked in a storage unit next to the wall, so it would be difficult for a tow truck to pull it out without damaging the body. I called several dealers and they said that since I don't have the original key, one must be ordered & cut in Germany. 1-2 week turn around time. The cost for the blade (cut and shipped to the dealer) was consistent at all dealers ($192.) That doesn't include the fob/transponder which was $270-$325. Programming was quoted at $91 from 3 different dealers. All dealers want a copy of your drivers license and proof of ownership (title, registration or sales contract.) I also contacted dozens of locksmiths. Most don't work on German cars or don't have the transponder in stock, although I did find one in the Dallas area who said he could cut a valet key. I wasn't able to locate the 3 button transponder at Suncoast or Sunset. They sell the two button remote, but the dealer told me that the cabriolet has a three button remote. Can anyone confirm that and if correct, what is the third button for? The top?
Great buy!!! And glad you are not a thief although could have been interesting and more entertaining.
Any idea how long the car has sat??
A good tow company can easily put rollers under all 4 wheels and move it to position to be towed. Is it Manual Transmission?? Want it out of gear obviously.
If car checks out and runs well that is a sweet buy.

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-28-2022 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:38 PM
Tclane
Track Day

Great buy!!!
Any idea how long the car has sat??
The facility manager didn't know when the tenant put it in the storage unit. Based on the rental contract, I'd estimate 1-2 years. I'm planning on draining the gas and giving it an oil change before I try to start it.

A good tow company can easily put rollers under all 4 wheels and move it to position to be towed. Is it Manual Transmission?? Want it out of gear obviously.
Good to know. It's automatic. I think I'm going to order the key from Germany, the transponder from Suncoast ($210,) then unlock the steering wheel and put it in neutral, push it out, then have the car towed to the dealer for programming. I estimate $600 +/- for everything.

If car checks out and runs well that is a sweet buy.
I agree. Looks like the market value for 997's has really increased over the past few years. Probably has something to do with the chip shortage / supply issues. I'm planning on driving it for a few months and then putting it up for sale. Not really sure what a fair asking price is, but it looks like there were several sales of 2006 convertibles on eBay with similar mileage (62K +/-) in the 35K range. Most of the online dealers are asking 39K and up. The vehicle is mint other than a tiny paint chip on the front bumper. The title and the vehicle history report are clean.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:03 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I suppose we all have little obsessions that are harmless. For me, I have boxes of brand new bike bib shorts, but my wife gives me grief for sewing back together my five old bibs (they are $300 a pop so it’s hard for me to give up on them). That said, you get a car for $15K with a market value of, say $30K+ and then it becomes a thing about saving a few hundred dollars to get new keys cut? This isn’t a criticism, do whatever you like, but it does make me feel less stupid for not giving up on a garment just because it has a little wear and age.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:15 PM
Tclane
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
That said, you get a car for $15K with a market value of, say $30K+ and then it becomes a thing about saving a few hundred dollars to get new keys cut?
Well, I'm not a wealthy man. Quite honestly, I couldn't afford to buy this car if I had to pay retail, nor could I afford the insurance and maintenance. But sometimes it's not how much you make, it's how much you spend. I was raised to be frugal and I usually shop around to find the best deal on most of my purchases.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tclane
The facility manager didn't know when the tenant put it in the storage unit. Based on the rental contract, I'd estimate 1-2 years. I'm planning on draining the gas and giving it an oil change before I try to start it.
Good to know. It's automatic. I think I'm going to order the key from Germany, the transponder from Suncoast ($210,) then unlock the steering wheel and put it in neutral, push it out, then have the car towed to the dealer for programming. I estimate $600 +/- for everything.
I agree. Looks like the market value for 997's has really increased over the past few years. Probably has something to do with the chip shortage / supply issues. I'm planning on driving it for a few months and then putting it up for sale. Not really sure what a fair asking price is, but it looks like there were several sales of 2006 convertibles on eBay with similar mileage (62K +/-) in the 35K range. Most of the online dealers are asking 39K and up. The vehicle is mint other than a tiny paint chip on the front bumper. The title and the vehicle history report are clean.
It all depends how it comes out of the long hibernation.
**Before attempting to start the car---->I would suggest having Indy mechanic change spark plugs and have him fog cylinders with oil. Not sure of the process but important considering the issues these 997 cars have with Bore Scoring on cylinder walls when these cars sit or started/not warmed up in cold climates.
I think this could be one of the most important things for you to consider and perhaps research or start another thread asking about this process if nobody else with more mechanical experience chimes in.
Great find, great price of engine is ok and in excellent condition.
Would be nice to see photos and option list but a 2006 997 non-S Cabriolet w/60K miles has a market value of about $38-40K right now - What colors?

Last edited by groovzilla; 03-01-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:24 PM
Tclane
Track Day

It all depends how it comes out of the long hibernation.
**Before attempting to start the car---->I would suggest having Indy mechanic change spark plugs and have him fog cylinders with oil. Not sure of the process but important considering the issues these 997 cars have with Bore Scoring on cylinder walls when these cars sit or started/not warmed up in cold climates.
I think this could be one of the most important things for you to consider and perhaps research or start another thread asking about this process if nobody else with more mechanical experience chimes in.
Great find, great price of engine is ok and in excellent condition.
Would be nice to see photos and option list but a 2006 997 non-S Cabriolet w/60K miles has a market value of about $38-40K right now - What colors?
This is the photo from when it was listed for sale a few years ago. It's blue. Non S. Would have posted a current photo, but it's currently covered in dust from being in storage.

Last edited by Tclane; 03-01-2022 at 12:26 PM.
groovzilla (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 12:31 PM
Tclane
Track Day

This is how I got it. The previous owner left the top down, so it's going to need a professional detail.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:44 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

You will probably find the top non-functional, if the PO left it down. There is a manual way of raising the top, located behind the back seats if needed.

Thinking about it, I wonder if that is why PO parked it under sheltered storage?

Last edited by 997.2GTS; 03-01-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:46 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Blue nice color.
Amazes me people leave behind expensive items in storage. Wonder if owner died?
That's a lot of dust. Looks more like many many years of sitting not just 1-2. Even more reason to take care in starting and fog cylinders.
When cars sit the seals get dry/etc so try and do as much preventative stuff before you start & drive it.
Also have to see is there's any evidence of rodents chewing up the wiring in engine compartment once you get the key working

Old 03-01-2022, 02:28 PM
Tclane
Track Day

Blue nice color.
Wonder if owner died?
No, according to the facility manager, he was a gay male prostitute and went to prison for running a large prostitution ring. I found a couple dozen pairs of hooker shoes, so either he had a few females working for him or he was a drag queen. (And you thought the story would be more interesting if I stole it. )

Last edited by Tclane; 03-01-2022 at 02:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tclane:
heavysixer22 (03-01-2022), Ripking (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Tclane
Track Day

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
You will probably find the top non-functional, if the PO left it down. There is a manual way of raising the top, located behind the back seats if needed.

Thinking about it, I wonder if that is why PO parked it under sheltered storage?
Could be, thanks for the advice. The guy put all of his stuff in storage, several units in all, before he went to prison. His mother was making the storage payments ($1,000 +/- per month) but eventually quit paying and all of the units went to auction. I'm assuming there was a Harley in another unit because I found several new Harley parts in my unit. I'm also assuming the guy was a heroin addict since I found a burnt spoon with a crusty brown piece of cotton on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tclane:
997.2GTS (03-01-2022), heavysixer22 (03-01-2022)

Quick Reply: What is the least expensive way to have a key made & programmed?