Having all wheel drive is a bonus.
Not for everyone
Old 01-11-2022, 07:35 PM
997.one
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Another Rennlist member, @halo777 did the AWD delete on his 997.1:
Hard to lose that much weight off the car without really drastic measures elsewhere. The diff and other gubbins must be close to 150-200lbs?
Not sure the total weight, I was poking around a few days ago seeing if I could find that answer but didn't have any luck. I'll post a scale photo in a few weeks once completed.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:40 PM
PCarFan16
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

The front diff is lighter than expected. I had read about 70lbs total and I think that’s probably close. My diff and axles are on a high shelf or I’d get them down and weigh them.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:19 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I make the RWD conversion parts sold by Phenix. The conversion removes 74lbs from the 996TT, should be similar loss to the 997.1.

For the mechanical AWD cars, the computer has no clue the front driveline is missing. It is completely reversible and a simple swap that can be done with hand tools.

The following 3 users liked this post by white out:
andino (01-18-2022), groovzilla (01-18-2022), Saaboteur (01-19-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 09:09 AM
PCarFan16
Advanced

Those Phenix parts look great but I wasn’t sure they worked on a 997? I ended up sourcing these which were plug and play.

the weather here has dried up a bit so I’ve had the opportunity to drive it a bit harder. Turn in is a sharper, steering is lighter and the feel through the steering wheel is massively improved. It still pushes quite a bit in the wet but I’m running stock C4 sways and need to dial that in. The on throttle understeer is definitely less than on the stock AWD system. I have yet to spin a rear wheel. I would 100% recommend doing this. With the RWD parts in the shelf, it can be easily converted back for resale but the driving experience is much better.

Last edited by PCarFan16; 01-20-2022 at 09:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
white out (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 10:07 AM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

We need a 997.2 delete kit! Save few people some cash when front diff fails.

I have a feeling it can be programmed out in a similiar fashion as DCCD controllers for STI, a signal could be sent to the system asking the front diff to disengage.

https://www.dccdpro.com/product/dccd...al-controller/

Old 01-21-2022, 01:33 AM
997.one
Instructor

Originally Posted by white out
I make the RWD conversion parts sold by Phenix. The conversion removes 74lbs from the 996TT, should be similar loss to the 997.1.

For the mechanical AWD cars, the computer has no clue the front driveline is missing. It is completely reversible and a simple swap that can be done with hand tools.

You guys building any more of these? Last I checked, phenix is sold out. I was going to have my indy fab a set using the stock components.

Originally Posted by PCarFan16
Those Phenix parts look great but I wasn’t sure they worked on a 997? I ended up sourcing these which were plug and play.

the weather here has dried up a bit so I’ve had the opportunity to drive it a bit harder. Turn in is a sharper, steering is lighter and the feel through the steering wheel is massively improved. It still pushes quite a bit in the wet but I’m running stock C4 sways and need to dial that in. The on throttle understeer is definitely less than on the stock AWD system. I have yet to spin a rear wheel. I would 100% recommend doing this. With the RWD parts in the shelf, it can be easily converted back for resale but the driving experience is much better.
Nice update! Do you feel the car just doesn’t have enough power to get the rears to spin? Did you also do bearings? Also, who makes this set?
Old 01-21-2022, 03:29 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skaper
You guys building any more of these? Last I checked, phenix is sold out. I was going to have my indy fab a set using the stock components.
If Phenix doesn't have any in stock, then they are made to order and take 3-4 weeks.
Message me or Phenix if you have any questions and either of us can get you whatever info you need.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:41 AM
PCarFan16
Advanced

“Nice update! Do you feel the car just doesn’t have enough power to get the rears to spin? Did you also do bearings? Also, who makes this set?[/QUOTE]”

More power, and especially low end torque would probably help finds the limits of rear wheel traction. With the 911’s weight distribution, it’s just not an issue with stock power levels in normal or even wet road conditions.

Those are Porsche stub axles. I just googled the part number (you can see it stamped on the part in that photo)and ordered from the first vendor that had them in stock. I did not replace bearings.

Last edited by PCarFan16; 01-21-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

...Do you feel the car just doesn’t have enough power to get the rears to spin? ...
Engine power and tire grip should be in balance. What's the point of spinning driving tires?

Incidentally... yesterday I witnessed a couple of hot-headed young guys racing each other on a curvy road, tires shrieking. One driving a Camaro lost control went off the road and in-between crashed sideways against the front of a car coming in the opposite direction. The Camaro was badly damaged but the oncoming car was demolished and the driver could not move. Too much power, not enough grip and hot heads caused a major crash and possibly severely hurt someone else.

Last edited by ADias; 01-21-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:33 PM
PCarFan16
Advanced

Agree! Some folks get concerned that the RWD conversion without an LSD is too much for the available traction. I think the balance is perfect.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:16 PM
997.one
Instructor

Those are Porsche stub axles. I just googled the part number (you can see it stamped on the part in that photo)and ordered from the first vendor that had them in stock. I did not replace bearings.

I have to agree, phenix is nice looking but these would be significantly more affordable and nice that it’s an OEM part. Of course these don’t include the bearings in the phenix kit but it sounds like that’s not necessary.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:50 PM
997.one
Instructor

Quick update for those curious:

Weight removed from the car = 87 pounds.
There wasn't a need for Phenix hubs or Porsche stubs, the components from the stock axles work great.
The only downside is that you can hear a bit of whine from the disconnected shaft. It's possible you wouldn't notice with the rear seats in.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:49 AM
andino
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

I did this conversion as well last weekend and I still get a bit of whine even with full interior/backseats. Might look into puling the yoke when I drop my trans next time I do my clutch. I can't remember if the yoke is removable or not. Overall, I'd say the change is a welcome improvement in playfulness you'd expect from a rwd car.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:13 PM
997.one
Instructor

Originally Posted by andino
I did this conversion as well last weekend and I still get a bit of whine even with full interior/backseats. Might look into puling the yoke when I drop my trans next time I do my clutch. I can't remember if the yoke is removable or not. Overall, I'd say the change is a welcome improvement in playfulness you'd expect from a rwd car.
agree. After a few drives it’s hard to identify. I had a buddy, who owns a .1 4s, drive my car and he couldn’t hear the whine.

If you do any more research on it, keep me posted. At this point, I am not worried about it. If it’s something that can be addressed when I do an LSD or potentially flywheel, I may consider.

Quick Reply: Another AWD delete thread