Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Top Down -- Extended Periods of Time

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 12:14 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Cabriolet Top Down -- Extended Periods of Time

I've tried to search on this, but have been coming up dry.

Cabriolet experts--are there any risks to longer-term storage (maybe 2-4 weeks of the car with the top down? I'm about to embark on some console/PCM accessory/etc upgrades, and it's infinitely easier to do interior work on a cab with the top down.

I thought I read somewhere that it's not good on the top, and/or the mechanism, to store the vehicle with the top down for an extended period of time, but now I can't find that info.

(The car's in a heated, dehumidified garage, so the environment around it isn't a concern)

Last edited by sburke91; 12-03-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:20 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Porsche would not sell a hard top accessory if the top experienced damage from a long-term top-down position. I'm sure it might increase creases a little but I believe as long as the top is dry, there is no big concern for that period of time.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:53 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
Porsche would not sell a hard top accessory if the top experienced damage from a long-term top-down position. I'm sure it might increase creases a little but I believe as long as the top is dry, there is no big concern for that period of time.
That's a very good point!
Old 12-03-2021, 01:20 PM
frybear
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 134 Posts

Or just put the top up when you're not working on the car if you're worried about it. My top stays down most of the time when it's nice out anyway. No issues
Old 12-03-2021, 01:39 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frybear
Or just put the top up when you're not working on the car if you're worried about it. My top stays down most of the time when it's nice out anyway. No issues
My goal is to not have to put the top up and down, as my blocks of available time to work on the car aren't great, so those few minutes each time that I don't have to cycle the top are minutes I can be tearing apart the console. The whole hard top concept is the best point though--if storing the top down for weeks at a time resulted in damage or a shorter life, there'd be a lot of hard top owners screaming by now.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:45 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by sburke91
My goal is to not have to put the top up and down, as my blocks of available time to work on the car aren't great, so those few minutes each time that I don't have to cycle the top are minutes I can be tearing apart the console.
I get limited time but it takes 40 seconds round trip for the top my guy. Less than a minute total each time you work on it.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:49 PM
frybear
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 134 Posts

My goal is to not have to put the top up and down, as my blocks of available time to work on the car aren't great, so those few minutes each time that I don't have to cycle the top are minutes I can be tearing apart the console. The whole hard top concept is the best point though--if storing the top down for weeks at a time resulted in damage or a shorter life, there'd be a lot of hard top owners screaming by now.
I get it. As an aside, taking the console (assuming you mean the center console or the stereo stack console), isn't bad at all. It seems daunting but once you do it once, the next time takes maybe 15 minutes max. I replaced me entire center console and also installed the numeric short shifter, so I've done it twice. Just be sure to label the screws...I did and still put 2 of them in the wrong spot, but they still worked so...
Old 12-03-2021, 01:50 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesBaxter
I get limited time but it takes 40 seconds round trip for the top my guy. Less than a minute total each time you work on it.
My top's throwing 'not at limit' errors right now about every other cycle (which I also need to troubleshoot this winter), so it's a 5-10 minute thing right now for mine
Old 12-03-2021, 02:00 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Our local PCA club had a sponsor who refurbishes tops and interiors come on a Zoom and talk about maintenance. He said, in no uncertain terms, that you should put the top up every night as long as it's dry. He mentioned that the fabric tops stay more pliable and last longer when they are up and fully tensioned. Pliable tops also put less stress on the closing mechanism and will help the mechanism last longer. I'd imagine the Porsche closing mechanism is pretty darn robust to start with so top failures may not be a good metric to support keeping the top down and stowed.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:06 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

My top's throwing 'not at limit' errors right now about every other cycle (which I also need to troubleshoot this winter), so it's a 5-10 minute thing right now for mine
oof fair enough. I’d just leave it down (it’s not THAT long).
Old 12-04-2021, 12:54 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 691 Likes on 416 Posts

I once left top down for little over week. It had noticeably more pronounced creases when put up, but over couple days returned to normal. Creases fact of life. Even in garage light dust gets on car over time and rather not have it get on interior. So I put it up when return home even if driving next day. Typically put it up when get where going if will be sitting in parking lot more than few minutes. Top is lowered/raised a lot, I lube once a year and by grace of god and scotch nothing has gone wrong with mechanism. Knock on wood.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:14 PM
Jeffsf
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I usually drive my cab with the top down but always put it back up afterwards. Pretty sure that keeps creases from forming. I also get it out of the garage and into the sun to let the fabric warm up before I lower it. That was old school advice from my dad.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeffsf:
hank911 (12-04-2021), heavysixer22 (12-07-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 11:04 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

I put my removable hardtop on from Dec to April and I don't have any problem with the top at all. It's down for months. a few slight creases on each side but nothing that really bothers me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dartmouth:
JAAM (12-05-2021), ManoTexas (12-04-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 09:00 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

My 2009 4S cab also has a hard top on it 7 or 8 months of the year ( I live in Michigan)

and I haven't noticed any issues with the soft top other than normal wear.. BTW I do have a second hard top for sale in the classified for anyone who needs one.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:55 AM
Cmg Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
Our local PCA club had a sponsor who refurbishes tops and interiors come on a Zoom and talk about maintenance. He said, in no uncertain terms, that you should put the top up every night as long as it's dry. He mentioned that the fabric tops stay more pliable and last longer when they are up and fully tensioned. Pliable tops also put less stress on the closing mechanism and will help the mechanism last longer. I'd imagine the Porsche closing mechanism is pretty darn robust to start with so top failures may not be a good metric to support keeping the top down and stowed.
Robust? Guess I've been unlucky. The previous owner replaced the locking mechanism and I had to replace the entire mechanical section that lifts it up. Previous owner put on 20K miles and I put on 10K.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Top Down -- Extended Periods of Time