Old 11-18-2021 | 06:54 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

good tip.. will verify that
Old 11-18-2021 | 07:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by groovzilla
3 of my 997's never had any battery drain after sitting for over a month.
My 1st 2005 997S had battery drain after only a few days and culprit was the front trunk light wire being shorted out. Check your trunk light wire to make sure it's not making contact on metal surface.
There is always drain, as long as the battery is wired to the car. There are sysems that are permanent consumers. Normal siting drain is about 40-45mA. As stated above that reduces battery capacity by about 1Ah per day.

Last edited by ADias; 11-18-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2021 | 11:58 PM
uncle_sam
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
To turn off the internal motion sensing lock the car with 2 (rapid) clicks. The flashers will light solid for about 3 seconds .

That only happens after 7 days of locking. The procedure is: unlock the door with the physical key, and quickly click the lock/unlock FOB button (or insert the key in the ignition; there is no need to rotate the key). Relays will click and the system will reboot.
Actually, a simpler trick to awaken a long standing 997 is to just pull up the door handle first. Then click the open door on the key fob. The door unlocks so you now open.
The following 2 users liked this post by uncle_sam:
8x57IRS (04-28-2023), Aeneas137 (03-06-2023)
Old 11-19-2021 | 02:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by platinum997
So instead of enjoying another beautiful day racheting through the gears, I was frustrated when I tried to go to lunch and click, click.. no start. I know it's getting colder but if I don't keep this baby juiced up on a tender, she gets snippy with me.

On 2nd Battery in ~5yrs or so. my question is why? It's the only car I have had that needs a tender even for shorter stents. I get the hibernation/winter but a couple days/weeks.. uugh.

Do AGM or Lithium have the save issue?
Yes, these cars use battery power when shut down. I don't know where the drain comes from. No lights or anything else on. How old is your battery? I've had the same thing as you describe happening twice with older batteries. Quick and unproblematic starts one day. Next day the click so no warning at all of a battery on its last leg. In both cases it went from what felt like 100% healthy batteries to dead from one day to the next. So in one way, consider yourself lucky getting warnings that something isn't right.

With a good battery and alternator you should be able to leave it sitting for two weeks, maybe even three. I've done it with newer batteries. But with a battery two or three years old, I just disconnect it instead of messing with a tender if I'm going on a trip two weeks or longer. Cranks like a champ when I reconnect the battery even after sitting for three weeks or longer.

Why am I doing this instead of using a tender? Because I had a tender once that failed. Disconnecting the battery has been fail proof for me so far. As long as you put an old towel or whatever over the frunk locking mechanism. Close and lock the frunk after you disconnect the battery and you'll have problems since unlocking the frunk to reconnect the battery requires battery power.
The following users liked this post:
Aeneas137 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023 | 03:53 PM
Aeneas137
AutoX

Originally Posted by Scalp_em
I just keep my CTEK plugged in my cig lighter with the comfort indicator adaptor when not driving my car, no problems or issues...I can go from a couple of days to a couple of weeks depending on weather, business travel etc and since its a weekend car I just got in the habit of plugging it in as soon as I pull into the garage.
thank you for this suggestion of CTEK. I just ordered the 5.0 with the cig adapter. I think I might replace the battery and the alternator anyway but this smart trickle charger will be helpful in any case.
Old 03-06-2023 | 04:11 PM
Aeneas137
AutoX

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Yes, these cars use battery power when shut down. I don't know where the drain comes from. No lights or anything else on. How old is your battery? I've had the same thing as you describe happening twice with older batteries. Quick and unproblematic starts one day. Next day the click so no warning at all of a battery on its last leg. In both cases it went from what felt like 100% healthy batteries to dead from one day to the next. So in one way, consider yourself lucky getting warnings that something isn't right.

With a good battery and alternator you should be able to leave it sitting for two weeks, maybe even three. I've done it with newer batteries. But with a battery two or three years old, I just disconnect it instead of messing with a tender if I'm going on a trip two weeks or longer. Cranks like a champ when I reconnect the battery even after sitting for three weeks or longer.

Why am I doing this instead of using a tender? Because I had a tender once that failed. Disconnecting the battery has been fail proof for me so far. As long as you put an old towel or whatever over the frunk locking mechanism. Close and lock the frunk after you disconnect the battery and you'll have problems since unlocking the frunk to reconnect the battery requires battery power.
Good advice about the frunk towel and battery disconnect, but there is also a battery connector behind the fuse box panel where you can connect up and open the frunk. this is normally used to maintain settings when changing out a battery.
Old 04-27-2023 | 06:42 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Gonna keep an eye on this thread as I've stepped into a dead car twice in 2 weeks. Last time it was actually the driver's door bulb that came loose.

So far I've taken the battery and had it tested and was good. I also checked battery voltage after being disconnected for 5 hours (12.7V). Amperage draw in park is 30-40 mA. Alternator charge is 14V+ on idle.

So it seems like generally systems are working.

I'm starting to wonder if leaving it unlocked really was the culprit.
jchapura (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023 | 07:23 PM
Aeneas137
AutoX

Bought a CTEK. I leave it plugged in. I have a 12V cig adapter but ended up screwing in a more permanent battery terminal adapter and leave the end dangling above the battery compartment. no more question about the car starting regardless of how long it sits in the garage. The model I bought for my Cayman is 40-206 MXS 5.0.
jchapura (04-27-2023)
Old 04-28-2023 | 11:26 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Originally Posted by groovzilla
3 of my 997's never had any battery drain after sitting for over a month.
My 1st 2005 997S had battery drain after only a few days and culprit was the front trunk light wire being shorted out. Check your trunk light wire to make sure it's not making contact on metal surface.
There is a table in the workshop manual that explains how to perform measurement of the drain and lists the expected drain per module. The conclusion is: with the maximum of extra features the drain is ~20mA. If you have a ~70Ah battery installed it should last approximately 35/0,02 = 1.750h. 70 days/10 weeks/2+ months to reach 50% of its capacity (slightly below 12,1V) (when starting would be impossible without damaging the cells). I have a 74Ah Varta Battery since November 2016 that still goes strong, but I have it always at the tender when in garage. Am curious how long it will last, but probably I will prophylactically exchange before. Fear.

The only way to trace the drain is to measure it.
jchapura (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023 | 12:50 PM
Aeneas137
AutoX

this is the only car I've ever owned with these ridiculous battery drain problems. If a cheap *** domestic car can sit for 2 months without a battery drain, why is this Porsche issue so widespread? and what's the likelihood that most Porsche owners have a loose wire? If that's all this is? I'm not complaining, I'm just saying I'm not putting up with it, it stays on the tender and I'm not going to troubleshoot electrical. jmpo.
Old 04-29-2023 | 10:14 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Little OT but came homw from 2.5 week vacation Wednesday to 2 dead batteries. One my wife's Mercedes E320 Diesel sedan and 2nd my ML320 Diesel SUV.
Both batteries were dated about the same 6/2017 time period.
I tried charging both but couldn't get them up higher than 11V so bought 2 new Interstate's. ---->Boy Core charges have gone up now $25, I remember $5 years ago.

Old 04-29-2023 | 10:16 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aeneas137
this is the only car I've ever owned with these ridiculous battery drain problems. If a cheap *** domestic car can sit for 2 months without a battery drain, why is this Porsche issue so widespread? and what's the likelihood that most Porsche owners have a loose wire? If that's all this is? I'm not complaining, I'm just saying I'm not putting up with it, it stays on the tender and I'm not going to troubleshoot electrical. jmpo.
I agree chasing loose/problem wire is a bitch. My current (pardon Pun) 06 997 C4 has no battery drain issue but I keep the CTEK Tender on it all the time while sitting in garage.
Just good practice to keep battery in good shape for longer period of time.
Old 04-29-2023 | 01:10 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Do we really need an ODB tool to reprogram the car if we replace with a non-OEM battery? I've been having problems lately -- the most recent time required a jump start after I'd parked for about 20 minutes. I'm sure it's because the 997.2 has gone from being my daily driver to a "when weather's nice and I can move vehicles around to get it out of the garage" driver. This past winter it spent 3 months in the garage before I tried to take it out and found it wouldn't start. I couldn't even pop the trunk using the fuse panel -- ended up getting the 12V power supply for my Davy Crockett pellet smoker and plugging that into the cigarette lighter for a couple days so I could pop the frunk and put a real charger on it.

I'm looking at the Duracell Ultra Platinum but am leery of doing that if I have to worry about reprogramming the car. Never had to do that when swapping batteries in any previous vehicle but these are getting to be computers on wheels.
Old 04-29-2023 | 02:24 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Never had to reprogram anything in a 997.2 with a non eom battery.
Old 04-29-2023 | 10:11 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

^^Same here - No need to re-program after replacing OEM with Interstate Battery.

Quick Reply: What causes our battery drain