Sponsored by:

Houston Indy Shop recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 07:55 AM
David Berry
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatsixS
Ouch! 3.5k seems a lot of money for the replacement. FSW seems tempting if they’re lot cheaper. Did you do some research online about the issue and parts cost and how to fix it? I read that sometimes is the lack of oil and refilling it fixed the problem, (but I guess you already checked that box).
Dealer says the lifters are leaking. Don’t know that you can simply add fluid. Then it would still leak? Pretty frustrated because the weather has been perfect for top down driving. I have stopped lowering the top. 🤬😥
Old 10-11-2021, 10:18 AM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by David Berry
Dealer says the lifters are leaking. Don’t know that you can simply add fluid. Then it would still leak? Pretty frustrated because the weather has been perfect for top down driving. I have stopped lowering the top. 🤬😥
Due to the amount asked for the fix, I should do first some research online to get an educated guess of that could be the problem and how is the fix. Parts are ridicously expensive (hydraulic pump: 1100$for example) so I'm wondering if there is a seal kit to service the hydraulic pump/cylinders or something else instead of replacement. Maybe you will end up paying that amount, but at least you will know why. For example, Pelican's site has a lot of "Tech articles" and "knowhows" and also they published a book of "projects" for 996/997 long time ago with the most common maintenance DIY and problems with those models. Plenty of info there and also the comments on the article are worth the reading. Here is the link to start with:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart..._Mechanism.htm
There are plenty more with describes same issue, so it will worth the search. I found procedures, issues and "how to"s for several fixes that I did myself this way. Others, I found that lack of appropiate tools and/or the work around involved where beyond my skills/resources so I went the indy shop route and paid for the fix. Hope it will help.

Regards,
FlatsixS
Old 10-11-2021, 10:24 AM
David Berry
Racer

Of course I question repairs Porsche suggests/recommended.
I have noticed the top making noise on open/close. Maybe it’s good for another 10 years? Dealership sure would like the business today…
Just like my tires, the say I need four new ones. I disagree, new fronts in 2020 and new rears early this year. I replace them when I see cord at the edges. I am getting opinion from Chris at Flat Six Werks later this month.

Last edited by David Berry; 10-11-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:06 AM
FlatsixS
Instructor

David,
I just read some comments in the posts and seems that the roof (ram) lifting cylinders can be "rebuilded". Found out that a company in FL specializes doing that: "Cabriolet Hydraulics". As per the post, it says that for about 450$ they re-built the part. Maybe your indy can find out if that works in your case.Their website also have DIY instructions of how to dissasemble the cylinders to send for rebuild. They also say they re-construct them with even better seals than the originals. Maybe is worth to contact them.
Bless that huge available info is all there in internet.... .
https://cabriolethydraulics.com/
Hope it helps
Regards,
FlatSixS

Last edited by FlatsixS; 10-11-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:06 AM
David Berry
Racer

$3,992.44 to service Cabriolet top
Old 10-11-2021, 11:09 AM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by FlatsixS
David,
I just read some comments in the posts and seems that the roof (ram) lifting cylinders can be "rebuilded". Found out that a company in FL specializes doing that: "Cabriolet Hydraulics". As per the post, it says that for about 450$ they re-built the part. Maybe your indy can find out if that works in your case.Their website also have DIY instructions of how to dissasemble the cylinders to send for rebuild. They also says the they re-construct them with even better seals than the originals. Maybe is worth to contact them.
Bless that huge available info is all there in internet.... .
https://cabriolethydraulics.com/
Hope it helps
Regards,
FlatSixS
Oh yeah, I got excited about learning about rebuilding them at a fraction of replacing. Chris at Flat Six Werks told me they last 1-2 years. Then require rebuild again. But $3,992 will rebuild for a few years! I’ll be ready for a new Porsche by then. Thanks for the link!

Last edited by David Berry; 10-11-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:45 AM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Ok, so close to 4K to fix the top. Just to note that In their website Cabriolet Hydraulics says that the fix will improve the seals using better material than originals, so should be -at least- as good as the originals but I guess that I'll ask for their warranty. BTW, new ram cylinders pop 850$ each (OE) in Pelican parts. But hey, if you want to go the Porsche dealer route is ok too. (Or use your indy with OE new parts).
I used a couple of times service at Porsche of West Houston -as is closer to me-, but found out that sometimes Porsche of North Houston has far better prices and the costumer service and attention is excellent. Other P-car owners living here prefer the longer route and go to PNH for service, parts and repairs.
Cheers
FlatSixS

Last edited by FlatsixS; 10-11-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:46 AM
David Berry
Racer

Much appreciated!
Old 08-10-2022, 11:24 AM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Last month my cabriolet top barely make it to close. Decided to check the system, and sure enough, both hydraulic rams were leaking oil, typically forming puddles of oil in garage’s floor at front of rear wheels. Checking prices with Indy for replacement and installation was quoted about 4800$. Decided to remove them by myself and sent for rebuild with cabriolet hydraulics.One week later, received the cylinders back with all seals replaced (pistons and connectors seals) as well as hydraulic hoses cleaned and old oil purged, and both cylinders/hoses already pre-filled with OE hydraulic oil and pre-positioned for installation. CH also included a set of new copper washers for the banjo pump connectors, detailed instructions to install/purge the rams and a bottle of oil. I flushed the pump also, and filled with new/fresh hydraulic oil. CH work came with a 3 year warranty for the rams.
While being there I lubricated all moving parts with recommended grease and re-installed the rams per instructions. Overall, took me about 3 hours to get everything back in place. Soft-top now works smoother than ever. Total price for fixing the top, 550$.

Last edited by FlatsixS; 08-10-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Houston Indy Shop recommendations