Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Tale of Two Rotors - or maybe climates? Nothing but Rust!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 05:57 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts
Default A Tale of Two Rotors - or maybe climates? Nothing but Rust!!

Having trouble figuring out what to do about the brakes on my 997.2 base car. After I wash the car, I get so much rust that either comes out as powder that instantly turns the wheels bronze, or lovely rust colored water that immediately stains the wheel barrels and looks terrible, causing me to have to wiggle a clean towel in there and clean up again. I'm admittedly a bit OCD about clean wheels - especially after a good wash in the driveway.

Problem is, I don't think I'm dealing with rust on the rotor surface. That's easy. What I'm talking about is the sandwich layer (maybe?) behind the rotor face. I guess those are cooling fins in that area? It looks like a complete rust factory in there, and I'm wondering if that's the culprit. I know all about the conventional wisdom fixes...drive it a bit to dry the surface/leafblower etc, but would be interested in hearing some input.

Car has about 22k miles on it, and. Though I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, the rotors appear to be within wear spec, but prior to my ownership the car lived for a fair bit in South Florida. Conversely, my prior car was a 2008 Cayman S that i owned from essentially new until about the same mileage - 22k or so. On that car, I always just washed, dried and that was it. What little surface rust there was simply scrubbed off within a block and it was so minimal that it didn't really show on the wheels. Zero of that rusty water issue at all. Difference is, that car lived in California and Colorado.

So, I'm wondering if my current car's time in a more corrosive climate could be the issue? It's driving me nuts and I'm wondering if replacing the rotors would solve the problem. A bit premature as far as wear is concerned, but I don't plan on parting with the car anytime soon, so what are your thoughts? The car is driven pretty sparingly and will never see a track, so I don't need any sort of heavy duty solution...just want to wash, drive and enjoy.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:07 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I would look for coated rotors from Zimmerman or Pagid. My rotors were like yours: rust would fall out of them. I’ve only had them a couple months, but they are much nicer.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 09:13 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

@texass4 I have the same problem on my 997 and I have black gloss wheels and barrels so I know exactly what you mean.

My workaround is as follows:
I wash the wheels, calipers, tires, and then give the rotors one final good soaking of water and immediately drive a couple hundred yards applying different levels of braking pressure (nothing severe of course).
Doing this while the rotors are wet will leave them spotless and you will not get any dust from oxidation.

Then I pull back into the driveway to wash the rest of the car, taking care not to spray the rotors again,. It's a nuisance, but this way I have no issues.

It's definitely a function of rotor material because on my Panamera and Cayenne (both also have black wheels) I do not have the issue.
rtl5009 (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 11:10 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

That all makes sense. Thanks for the input. I may just have to start altering my wash regimen for now. Some of the paint is coming off my calipers too, so I may just end up giving all four corners a bit of a refresher at some point anyway.

@Mike Murphy - are those coatings only on the surface of throughout the inner layers and all? Meaning: will the coating on the face of the rotor just burn off after some braking and miles?

Guess I have some learning to do about brakes. I might try to take a picture of mine tomorrow to post. It's pretty obvious where the problem is. Odd that my Cayman brakes had none of this problem to speak of, which is why I suspect it has everything to do with that South Florida corrosion.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:39 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 390 Posts

I replaced my worn rotors with Bosch rotors. They came coated. A year later that still look new. I don't mean the brake pad surface.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:58 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texass4
That all makes sense. Thanks for the input. I may just have to start altering my wash regimen for now. Some of the paint is coming off my calipers too, so I may just end up giving all four corners a bit of a refresher at some point anyway.

@Mike Murphy - are those coatings only on the surface of throughout the inner layers and all? Meaning: will the coating on the face of the rotor just burn off after some braking and miles?

Guess I have some learning to do about brakes. I might try to take a picture of mine tomorrow to post. It's pretty obvious where the problem is. Odd that my Cayman brakes had none of this problem to speak of, which is why I suspect it has everything to do with that South Florida corrosion.
Yes, the rotors are coated inside and out.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

No reason to buy anything but coated rotors. They hardly cost more than the raw uncoated ones.

Best solution - no rust, no dust, no fade (no money left in your bank account) - PCCBs
andino (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 390 Posts

Delete.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
No reason to buy anything but coated rotors. They hardly cost more than the raw uncoated ones.

Best solution - no rust, no dust, no fade (no money left in your bank account) - PCCBs
I agree completely with the sentiment…

I must have ripped myself off, because I paid double ($140) for each Zimmerman rotor, compared to high quality steel for about $60. I think you can even get super cheap rotors for like $33 somewhere, even though I don’t recommend that.

In the grand scheme of Porsche ownership experience, $150 rotors are still not expensive at all.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:13 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

Hyde's rust stopper

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...rust-inhibitor

Quick Reply: A Tale of Two Rotors - or maybe climates? Nothing but Rust!!