Sponsored by:

Radar Detector Location

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 02:04 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Radar Detector Location

Okay I have been pulled over about 27 times in my life and received 3 tickets. I have several family and friends who are police officers and they always say if they see a radar detector it means an instant ticket if they are speeding. I am not wanting to drop a couple grand on a permanent solution so I am wondering if any of you have mounts that hide the radar behind the mirror or something else. Pictures would be great. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Sporty (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

I mount mine on the top left of the rearview mirror. I have a Valentine 1 Gen 2, which fits perfect up there. Only downside is you can't have full range of motion of the sun visor with it there. I don't have pics of mine otherwise I'd post it.
The following users liked this post:
doclouie (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 02:37 PM
andino
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't have a radar detector but I use a Blendmount for my dash cam. They make a version that can mount a V1 (and maybe other brands too) behind the rearview mirror. Might be a decent solution but I'm not sure if it'll be hidden enough. You can still see the radar from the front. The only way to hide the detector is to do a stealth mount which costs a fair amount of money.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

I have mine on mirror mounts below the mirror, but they're down and out of sight before the officer ever gets to my window. At night I run them in dark mode.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:28 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

I made a custom bracket to keep the V1 high, but low enough to not be blocked by the tinted windshield. The visor hides it. You have to look hard to see it from the outside. And the remote display is mounted unobtrusively on the steering column and keeps the main display dark.
Attached Images     
Old 09-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

On all my cars, I mount my detectors in the space between the driver's visor and the A-pillar.

I made a custom bracket with a mounting plate that's in between the size of a deck of cards and a credit card. This plate is fixed to the glass using 3M tape on the edges, and in the center facing out is my RFID sticker for the local toll roads.

The detector hangs below and behind this mounting plate, and as such the detector is very difficult to see from any angle.

Also, the location of the fuse panel and A-pillar makes for an easy wire run. It's also easily and discreetly muted by reaching up with my left hand. And the curvature of the C-pillars means you can't see it easily from the back either.

Anyway, works for me.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:03 AM
997Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Blendmount with the rear view mirror, also painted the radar detector black so it's not as noticeable.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Okay I have been pulled over about 27 times in my life and received 3 tickets. I have several family and friends who are police officers and they always say if they see a radar detector it means an instant ticket if they are speeding. I am not wanting to drop a couple grand on a permanent solution so I am wondering if any of you have mounts that hide the radar behind the mirror or something else. Pictures would be great. Thanks.
Don't know that "hiding" is the right word for my solution pictured below. Somewhat disguised maybe and better than suction cups in the middle of the windshield. Mine is hardwired to the light switches above the rear view mirror so no phone cord running down to the cigarette lighter. There are some that are mounted behind the front bumper. They're not cheap but definitely hidden.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:35 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts

The cars I have them permanently mounted & hard-wired, I use an adhesive mount either over if space allows or just the the right of the rear view mirror. If temporary using the coil cord and suction cups then down low in the center. But always somewhere you can pull that puppy off and stash it if you think you might be getting pulled over.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector Location