Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021 | 04:30 PM
propchef
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironman88
One thing also to consider when weighing the difference in cost of a .2 PDK against a .1 Tip -

How much of that cost is value retained that remains with the car? No question you will be paying more for the .2, but the increase in cost will be retained as value.

Cost / pricing aside - you should seriously consider the type of driver you are and the type of experience you are seeking with the 911.

I myself would never be happy with a Tiptronic and I'm certain I would regret buying one...
Mine has risen with the price increases the same as other models, save the GTS or TT.

I've driven sports cars and SCCA since I was in my late teens (I'm 61 this year) and every one of those cars was a manual. I dove and campaigned an Estoril e36M3/4/5 for ten years that was an amazing car with perfect balance. The 997 replaced the M3. The experience I am seeking is that of the Porsche 911. I have not been disappointed. The sound, acceleration, brakes, and handling are all there.

I myself would never own a convertible and would regret buying one. That doesn't make it any less of a thrill for those who like them. It's still a 911.

I've had mine all over NorCal this summer, from unpaved forest service roads to long, isolated mountain stretches where no one is around. Then I come home and Monday morning I drive with traffic on the interstate to work. Seems it pretty well covers a range of driving styles quite well.
Old 08-23-2021 | 08:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm not a Tip fan. Have a Tip S in my Cayenne Turbo S and no way I'd want that in my sports cars. I'm a manual guy and don't have interest in a PDK sports car either even if it's faster - can't deal with the non-serciveable side of that equation and matching revs and rowing the gears is part of the enjoyment of the driving experience I like - same reason I don't have an auto rev matcher on my manuals even through they exist.

Here's the other thing to consider. The Tip sucks in regular mode so you need sport cheong, but the throttle mapping sucks in sport mode - too touch, hard to modulate at the threshold of an l rear drift, etc. My wife's 997 c2s has SC and neither of us ever use that mode because we don't like it.

If you need a 2 pedal car get the PDK that also comes with the better motor.
The following users liked this post:
F. Thumb (08-23-2021)
Old 08-26-2021 | 03:34 AM
911's
Advanced

Tiptronic is very much alive when, 1 sports mode button is set to on, 2 reliable ecu performance Software Tuning e.g. "softronic" is loaded, 3 paddle shifters installed, 4 (95 to 98) octane fuel is used.

love my c2s tip

The following users liked this post:
F. Thumb (08-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Tip vs PDK