Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Potential Buy of 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 07:47 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 315 Posts

60k for mid mileage base cars, 70k for mid mileage S cars. ha.

Boy does buying back in 2016 and 2017 feel good. There simply just isn't the value in a 60k base car. Good luck to all those searching now (with deep pockets).
Old 08-21-2021, 08:21 PM
olympic1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
60k for mid mileage base cars, 70k for mid mileage S cars. ha.

Boy does buying back in 2016 and 2017 feel good. There simply just isn't the value in a 60k base car. Good luck to all those searching now (with deep pockets).
The question I have is what is a 95k mile 997.2 PDK w/ sport chrono worth in today’s market that has pretty extensive road rash and a few minor dings? Can’t see evidence of PDK service or drive belt at 60k or plugs at 80k so have to plan on those and perhaps could get lucky with lots of Dr Colorchip work to help with the rash. Worst case it needs some paint work to address those. I may sell it in a couple few years I consider future resale as well when making a purchase. Welcome opinions.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:58 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by olympic1
The question I have is what is a 95k mile 997.2 PDK w/ sport chrono worth in today’s market that has pretty extensive road rash and a few minor dings? Can’t see evidence of PDK service or drive belt at 60k or plugs at 80k so have to plan on those and perhaps could get lucky with lots of Dr Colorchip work to help with the rash. Worst case it needs some paint work to address those. I may sell it in a couple few years I consider future resale as well when making a purchase. Welcome opinions.
I've seen a few on private classifieds over the last few months at the 40 mark. a base 997.2 PDK with close to 100k should not be a hair over 40, even in today's valuations.

Also do not expect it to go up in value. PDKs are make it or break it for most discerning buyers, and after 100k you've lost most Porsche nerds who love to brag about their low mileage garage queens. Assume that if you go into this car, you'll maybe lose a couple grand a year in upkeep and in maintenance, while overall having a mostly reliable and desirable car. But remember, desirability is very limited when the car is a PDK above 100k, especially a base.

One of the members on this forum here has a C4S in manual that has upwards of 140-150k miles that's in one of the mountain states. I was offered this car for 32k about a year or so ago from the original owner, and even though I've had several higher mileage 997.2s, it didn't feel worth even the low price of entry with that many miles. And I'm a person very open and favorable to high miles - most other people are even scared of 100k, like in the car you are referencing. Compound that with the PDK drama people will bring up.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:10 PM
olympic1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
I've seen a few on private classifieds over the last few months at the 40 mark. a base 997.2 PDK with close to 100k should not be a hair over 40, even in today's valuations.

Also do not expect it to go up in value. PDKs are make it or break it for most discerning buyers, and after 100k you've lost most Porsche nerds who love to brag about their low mileage garage queens. Assume that if you go into this car, you'll maybe lose a couple grand a year in upkeep and in maintenance, while overall having a mostly reliable and desirable car. But remember, desirability is very limited when the car is a PDK above 100k, especially a base.

One of the members on this forum here has a C4S in manual that has upwards of 140-150k miles that's in one of the mountain states. I was offered this car for 32k about a year or so ago from the original owner, and even though I've had several higher mileage 997.2s, it didn't feel worth even the low price of entry with that many miles. And I'm a person very open and favorable to high miles - most other people are even scared of 100k, like in the car you are referencing. Compound that with the PDK drama people will bring up.
Thanks for the feedback. The one I’m looking at is a 4S with sport chrono not just a base. Miles are high and yeah understand what you are saying about the PDK. I think it’s a little high given some deferred maintenance, high miles, PDK and the road rash. I appreciate your valuation thoughts and yeah a lower mileage example would probably hold value better or at least be more desirable. The lower price point is attractive but perhaps spending a little more for a better example might be worth it. Ah decisions decisions.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
I would not say the same thing. I had a 997.2 PDK before and it didn't last 6 months in my position because I got bored. I wanted to get back to 6MT so badly.

To their each own I guess!
Definitely a "to each their own" option. One thing I've noted though is that a lot of people new to the PDK don't know how to get the most enjoyment and performance out of it. Some even have PDK without sport chrono. A miserable experience that I couldn't live with. If that was the only PDK configuration I would be back to a 6sp manual in no time like you. Not saying or assuming that was your reason but it would be a good reason for me.

Others have PDK/sport chrono but don't take advantage of it. Either they always stay in auto mode which is boring (at least to me) and many seem hesitant using the sport plus setting almost to the point of being afraid of it. I've read more than one post by PDK owners who never used sport plus or manual mode. They're missing out on what this $4,500 option is about imo. In manual mode with sport chrono in sport plus, shifting with the gear lever rather than the paddles or buttons, it won't be a 6sp manual but what you're missing out on by not getting to press that third pedal is nicely made up for by amazing performance and some sensations that can't be matched by a manual imo.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:26 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Definitely a "to each their own" option. One thing I've noted though is that a lot of people new to the PDK don't know how to get the most enjoyment and performance out of it. Some even have PDK without sport chrono. A miserable experience that I couldn't live with. If that was the only PDK configuration I would be back to a 6sp manual in no time like you. Not saying or assuming that was your reason but it would be a good reason for me.

Others have PDK/sport chrono but don't take advantage of it. Either they always stay in auto mode which is boring (at least to me) and many seem hesitant using the sport plus setting almost to the point of being afraid of it. I've read more than one post by PDK owners who never used sport plus or manual mode. They're missing out on what this $4,500 option is about imo. In manual mode with sport chrono in sport plus, shifting with the gear lever rather than the paddles or buttons, it won't be a 6sp manual but what you're missing out on by not getting to press that third pedal is nicely made up for by amazing performance and some sensations that can't be matched by a manual imo.
This is the way I view it as well.
I've driven manual shift sports cars and sports sedans for nearly 50 years - it's all I've known.

A PDK is not necessarily just a "put it in D and just go" kind of transmission (although it can be if you approach it that way.) A PDK car can be driven just as one would with a manual trans with manual use of the shifter. The primary benefit being that you don't have the left leg / foot involvement.

And then there's the added benefit when you are stuck in traffic using it in fully automatic mode.

Quick Reply: Help with Potential Buy of 997.2