Sponsored by:

Nasty sound at startup! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 04:03 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosubstitute531
I'm in North Jersey in Montville - are you close by?!
We definitely need to meet. I'm in jersey too and I also have a Stage II 4.0 FSI in my 09 4s. Although mine is a PDK with paddle flippers I no longer accept that anything but a true 3 pedal is required to get the most out of the driving experience. My 996 4s is a manual and driving the PDK in full manual mode is equally as thrilling, and with the sick power and torque produced by Jake's engine I prefer 2 hands on the wheel at all times, especially approaching a 15 mph off ramp at 85!!!

Marty
Old 07-15-2021, 04:44 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

the funny part is, they are both the same price. In that case should I just buy the new one?
I noticed that as well when I bought my starter back in December, which is why I went with the brand new one. I even called FCP to see if there was a reason to go with the re-man'd one and there really wasn't. FWIW, the new Bosche starter I installed does fire the car right up now with no hesitation, warm or cold. My alternator cable was already replaced by the previous owner of my car, so I was good there.

That's awesome that you have a Raby 4.0L. Enjoy!! Get that starter sorted out, then there are plenty of miles and smiles ahead of you!
Old 07-15-2021, 04:52 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
We definitely need to meet. I'm in jersey too and I also have a Stage II 4.0 FSI in my 09 4s. Although mine is a PDK with paddle flippers I no longer accept that anything but a true 3 pedal is required to get the most out of the driving experience. My 996 4s is a manual and driving the PDK in full manual mode is equally as thrilling, and with the sick power and torque produced by Jake's engine I prefer 2 hands on the wheel at all times, especially approaching a 15 mph off ramp at 85!!!

Marty

I am definitely down! I will PM you. Always looking for fellow 997 / Raby engine owners.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:55 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I noticed that as well when I bought my starter back in December, which is why I went with the brand new one. I even called FCP to see if there was a reason to go with the re-man'd one and there really wasn't. FWIW, the new Bosche starter I installed does fire the car right up now with no hesitation, warm or cold. My alternator cable was already replaced by the previous owner of my car, so I was good there.

That's awesome that you have a Raby 4.0L. Enjoy!! Get that starter sorted out, then there are plenty of miles and smiles ahead of you!
Would it be totally absurd if I cheaped out and got this starter ?

https://goo.gl/qMhDlv

I was looking at the DIY threads and one of the other members said it’s supposedly pretty good with decent reviews. Or should I just pay up and not deal with the hassle and get a Bosch one. It would end up being a difference of about $100 bucks.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:07 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Would it be totally absurd if I cheaped out and got this starter ?

https://goo.gl/qMhDlv

I was looking at the DIY threads and one of the other members said it’s supposedly pretty good with decent reviews. Or should I just pay up and not deal with the hassle and get a Bosch one. It would end up being a difference of about $100 bucks.
Starters aren't that complicated, so you might be OK with that one. But it is such a hassle to swap it out, I would pay the price and get a Bosch for piece of mind.

Not only that, FCP Euro guarantees everything for life. Yes, even motor oil (if you wanted to go through the hassle of returning it). So I think the fact that when/if you ever needed to replace the new starter, you'd be covered and get a new one from FCP. To me, that's worth the extra $100.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:09 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 296 Posts

I'm in North Jersey in Montville - are you close by?!
I'm in Mountainside (between Summit and Westfield) so not far. My friend's brother lives in Montville, I was there a few weeks ago. I am contemplating doing a Raby rebuild of my 3.6 manual at some point; but I need $25k of convincing in the form of a test ride - so PM me
re availability, please! I'm working from home so always looking for reasons to stretch my 911's legs ....

For a 100$ I would go with the Bosch, but if it doesn't have good reviews, then i guess go with the other if you are comfortable with it.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:04 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

IMO, Totally not worth the hassle of saving $100 and then having to deal with a problem later on. Not saying you will, but the absolute most expensive way to own a Porsche is to cut corners here and there. What if the gear teeth don’t align well and wears out the flywheel prematurely? Or the starter leaves you stranded somewhere and requires a tow? Or starts on fire! Lol, I know, I’m really stretching here. But you get my point .

I believe someone in the 996 forum had their Bosch starter rebuilt for one reason: the new starters came from China and a rebuilt one was done by someone in the USA.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 02:41 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

So I replaced the starter one with a genuine Bosch one. Looks the startup install went fine since the car fires up instantly (vs before where it would hesitate) however now the car starts up and turns off within a few seconds. It’ll stay on if I give it a little bit of gas but then idles very bad. I checked all the connections and they seem to be fine. Any thoughts of what I did wrong ? Here is a video of what’s happening:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qAqaRa...ature=youtu.be

Old 07-25-2021, 01:17 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

So I replaced the starter one with a genuine Bosch one. Looks the startup install went fine since the car fires up instantly (vs before where it would hesitate) however now the car starts up and turns off within a few seconds. It’ll stay on if I give it a little bit of gas but then idles very bad. I checked all the connections and they seem to be fine. Any thoughts of what I did wrong ? Here is a video of what’s happening:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qAqaRa...ature=youtu.be

I am sure when you put the bellows back on that one is not seated properly and you have an air leak. Unfortunately you will need to rip back into it to double check. ;-)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:17 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chonniedotcom
I am sure when you put the bellows back on that one is not seated properly and you have an air leak. Unfortunately you will need to rip back into it to double check. ;-)
you were spot on. It was the boots for the intake manifold and holy crap were they hard to get back in properly .....that job was the hardest part of the starter replacement lol.

I also still don’t get how people took off / put back on the second screw on the starter that’s hidden. I had to take off the alternator to even get a view of the screw and even then it was pretty hard.

Either way, starter is now replaced. Nasty sound is gone and car idles perfectly now! Thanks for everyone’s help
Mike Murphy (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:28 PM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

This is the device I created to get that last screw 😂

Mike Murphy (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:36 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

you were spot on. It was the boots for the intake manifold and holy crap were they hard to get back in properly .....that job was the hardest part of the starter replacement lol.

I also still don’t get how people took off / put back on the second screw on the starter that’s hidden. I had to take off the alternator to even get a view of the screw and even then it was pretty hard.

Either way, starter is now replaced. Nasty sound is gone and car idles perfectly now! Thanks for everyone’s help
Glad to hear ya got it sorted. I did the same job last year and yes, those bellows are a bitch to get back in properly. ;-).

I used a super long extension to get to that bolt. It was suggested in a starter replacement write up somewhere. ;-(. Had to do it by “feel”. ;-)

Anyhoo, you got her done!!! Congrats.

Last edited by chonniedotcom; 07-25-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:38 PM
chonniedotcom
Instructor

This is the device I created to get that last screw 😂

Yep. That’s what I did as well. ;-)

Quick Reply: Nasty sound at startup! Help!!