Sponsored by:

How concerned should I be about buying a 997.1S w/63k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 01:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPerry
There is a risk regardless. If i'm not mistaken, the .2's are not 100% immune to scoring either? (correct me if i'm wrong)
I think you're right. .2's are not 100% immune to scoring but much less prone to it than .1's. (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 06-20-2021, 02:17 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,919 Likes on 2,907 Posts

...And from what I've read, the "S" 3.8 engine is more prone to Bore Scoring.
Is this an accurate assessment?

Old 06-20-2021, 05:20 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 129 Posts

Save your money and get a .2. You will sleep better at night. It appears most of the bore scoring is in cold climates where folks rev the engine before the oil gets warm. I would not buy anything with a sealed bearing in the crankcase. It's the dumbest thing Porsche has ever done. One of the best bargains in the P car world is the 996 Turbo (or used to be, haven't checked prices lately) They may not be as handsome and the 997s, but you get a Mezger engine that is bomb proof. I know of one with over 600k miles.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:38 PM
haripin
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I walked away from the car. Never even went to see it. The idea that I was buying a car that would one day need a new engine was not my idea of a Porsche experience, at least a first one. I went to a Porsche dealership instead and drove a 991.2S, a Cayman S, and a Cayman GTS. I am in love with the 6-speed Cayman S and GTS 4.0, and I think I'm going to build to order me one of those. Now I just have to decide how to spec it (I have some ideas).
Old 06-21-2021, 07:54 AM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

I’m glad your working through your decision. Does sound like a very different target going from. 997.1 to a brand new Cayman. Yes the thought of a motor rebuild will do that and I do think of it from time to time. Personally I’m not concerned with the IMS. Bore score while more likely is also more solvable as when it happens you can rebuild.

I appreciate people sharing information on these forums. I think it’s a tremendous community with lots of knowledge. I do think though that some of the 997.1 fear mongering is excessive. I suppose it’s easy for me to say as long as it does not happen to me. I will say that all repairs on these cars are expensive. The parts and labor are not discounted because the car is 12+ years old. Once you start poking around in them your list of parts to replace gets long and the invoice grows.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.
The following users liked this post:
BmacIL (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 03:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKatz
I’m glad your working through your decision. Does sound like a very different target going from. 997.1 to a brand new Cayman. Yes the thought of a motor rebuild will do that and I do think of it from time to time. Personally I’m not concerned with the IMS. Bore score while more likely is also more solvable as when it happens you can rebuild.

I appreciate people sharing information on these forums. I think it’s a tremendous community with lots of knowledge. I do think though that some of the 997.1 fear mongering is excessive. I suppose it’s easy for me to say as long as it does not happen to me. I will say that all repairs on these cars are expensive. The parts and labor are not discounted because the car is 12+ years old. Once you start poking around in them your list of parts to replace gets long and the invoice grows.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.
I've said this before but worth repeating after your comment. Of the three 997's I've owned, the manual -06 C4S was the most reliable of the three. Put a little over 40K miles on it and had just minor issues. So based on my experience I think your point is well taken.

The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
BmacIL (06-22-2021), TopKatz (06-22-2021)

Quick Reply: How concerned should I be about buying a 997.1S w/63k Miles