Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wash for a lazy person

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 07:16 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 234 Posts

Dawn is pretty harsh on the car. I use it when I want to strip all wax or oil on the surface. Dawn will definitely do that. When the wax is removed, the scratches really show up, that’s why the dawn may get a bad rap.
I wouldn’t recommend dawn for regular car washes, just as I wouldn’t recommend it for regular bathing, but for grease and oil removal it works well
Old 05-25-2021, 02:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanEngineerin
So much good advice above! But really, even for a lazy person, doing it right is also the easiest way if you make that investment up front in some good tools (buckets, wheel brush, wash mits, towels, maybe a small leafblower). Once you get a routine you will be amazed how easy and rewarding it becomes. And yes tbe ceramic dramatically eases the drying and looks great. That will be a slightly bigger investment...
Yup. Not to mention that it's the only way to get the car really clean. Takes me about 30 minutes to wash and dry the exterior the old fashioned way. Guessing close to half that is spent on the wheels with all the nooks and crannies. The rest is a breeze. Wash a regular 4 seat sedan and you get reminded of how small the 997 is even though bigger than the previous air cooled 911's.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:29 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I drive black vehicles. I find washing them to be enjoyable and therapeutic. My entire washing process is about reducing micromarring.

The GT4 is ceramic coated. This was completed by a professional.

The Fiesta ST is ceramic coated, this was done me. Including the two step correction that was very much needed.

The Gladiator is more of a product testing environment.

My wash process is essentially the same.

Rinse with pressure washer. Thoroughly.
One bucket for wheels
One bucket with Adams Car ShampooOne bucket for rinse
I foam the wheels and tires with Brake BusterLet sitAgitate with brush/mittClean barrelsStiff brush for tiresRinse
Foam vehicle with Adams
Let sitThis loosens dirt and pulls some contaminates off the vehicleRinseFoam for lubricationWash vehicle using two Micofriber Madness mitts (they are the best mitts I've found)
Work high to low on the vehicle.
I save the rockers and around the wheel wells for last
Open doors and wash around door sills
​​​​​​Use blower on cars that are coated. They are very hydrophobic and water easily beads off. Follow-up with BeadMaker.

The only variation is in drying. I dry the Gladiator with BeadMaker without using the blower first. The current protecting layer isn't hydrophobic enough for it to be effective. I will be doing a decon and correction on it this year and trying some new products. I appreciate getting to experiment.

This is my way. Not the right way. The right way is what works for you and gives you the sense of satisfaction when you're done.

Bonus photos for fun

Gladiator after decon and iron removal. Tested Ammo products on paint, wheels, and tires. Finish was solid. Longetivity and beading opportunistic.

Reflection off the paint

Pulled back. Same side of Fiesta.

Last edited by iammacey; 05-26-2021 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rallybill (03-01-2022)
Old 05-27-2021, 02:42 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 184 Posts

This is deviating a lot from the lazy wash thread. But here is mine for dealing with black car, hard water, and warm/dry climate

Lay old towel over engine to catch most water coming in when washing.

1 wash bucket with grit guard, 2-2.5 gals water, 1 Oz Griot’s soap plus a healthy splash of ONR.

Rinse down car with hose.

Wash from top down with wool mitt, leaving rockers and rear bumper for last. Rinse off with hose.

Quick pass with blower to reduce big areas of pooled water.

With a backpack sprayer containing distilled water, go over windows & flat areas to prevent spots forming while I do wheels and later blow dry. This uses ~ 1-1.5 gal distilled water.

Same bucket, now 1/2 full, wash wheels with dedicated brushes & finger wool mitt. Rinse wheels with hose.

Now I go back with blower, taking my time. Having the distilled water on allows drying almost completely with blower without spotting.

Final touch up dry with big MF towel and Opti Seal as drying aid.

With fresh grey MF towel, dry wheels, door jams, under hood, and engine compartment last, again with Opti seal as drying aid.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
Reflection off the paint
Wow....that paint finish. Just stunning. I have a lot of work to do or I have to spend a good amount of money to have someone get my car to that point. On another note, what's with that wheel gap? Doesn't look right. Guessing the car was jacked up when you shot the photo?
Old 05-27-2021, 09:24 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Wow....that paint finish. Just stunning. I have a lot of work to do or I have to spend a good amount of money to have someone get my car to that point. On another note, what's with that wheel gap? Doesn't look right. Guessing the car was jacked up when you shot the photo?
I had the car on the QuickJack. Just makes the work a little easier.

The Fiesta is a 2017. I bought it new in late 2018. It had been on two different Ford dealer lots. Sat outside. Been washed with sandpaper apparently. At any rate, it took a minute to get through the correction needed. So really happy with the outcome.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:50 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

quick wash and dry, then apply This..
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by TRINITONY; 05-28-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:23 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 205 Posts

I rinse the car to get rid of loose debris, Then Foam Gun it, Rinse, Foam Gun it again, then use two bucket method to wipe it down.
Then drive away. Drying it with a towel is where the swirls come from so just hit 80mph and the car will dry in a few minutes.
Then if needed I'll give a wipe down with a detailer to lubricate the paint and give it a little extra pop.
If I'm just gettig rid of some light dust I use Ammo Frothe waterless wash to get rid of the dust but not my ideal wash.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:57 PM
DooLY
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I choose MTM PF22 - https://carhelpo.com/best-foam-cannon/, either get the SGS-28 kit with the canon and purchase the lance separately or get the gun kit with lance and purchase the canon separately. Most who the pf22 works better for have electric and way lower gpm’s.

A good carwash consist of cleaning the wheels and wells.presoak all rockers with apc then fully rinse first.Then start washing from top to bottom leaving bottoms last.I usually suds up the left side of the car then rinse and move on cutting the car in sections then rinsing. Dry then use a spraywax booster and dress tires and wheel wells.4 door car in black one hour and fifteen minutes or so.It can be done a whole lot quicker,but my washes look like details after.Not one speck or smear or water residual left behind.

Last edited by DooLY; 02-28-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:54 PM
JC997
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Car Wash & Wax after driving for a day and never wash my car. I always wondered what other folks use to clean their car.

Curious if there are better products out there. I have the Ammo waterless car wash which is okay but I find it easier to use Meguiars.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:31 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by JC997
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Car Wash & Wax after driving for a day and never wash my car. I always wondered what other folks use to clean their car.

Curious if there are better products out there. I have the Ammo waterless car wash which is okay but I find it easier to use Meguiars.
They are both good but I've found Optimum leaves fewer streaks for the detailer to remove.
The following users liked this post:
Spike Speakus (11-07-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 03:05 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
I would like to start washing car by myself but not mentally ready to get all the bells and whistles. My plan is to use soap gun? to spray soap all around the car and let the dirt and grime just get loose and spray them off with high pressure water. Then dry off with a towel. What product should I get? Any recommendations?
You can do this and dry it with a leaf blower instead of a towel to avoid scratches. It gonna be a crappy job but better than nothing.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:54 PM
user 729082021
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 33 Posts

1. Ceramic coat
2. ONR
3. Chill
The following 2 users liked this post by user 729082021:
alfetta (11-06-2022), pro1200 (11-07-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 12:32 AM
annalim2008
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using a pressure washer or power washer soap for cars for soap application can help protect car paint from abrasive contaminants that can scratch. It also ensures less effort in cleaning, which is convenient for our busy schedules.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by annalim2008
Using a pressure washer or power washer soap for cars for soap application can help protect car paint from abrasive contaminants that can scratch. It also ensures less effort in cleaning, which is convenient for our busy schedules.

Nah! No pressure washer soap container stuff. Use a separate foam cannon with a decent surfactant soap instead - Adams. Koch, Meguiar's, CG, etc.

Quick Reply: Car wash for a lazy person