997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any BC Racing Coilovers feedabck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021 | 07:41 PM
benznotmercedes
Rennlist Member

I would be willing to bet that those who have knee jerk negative feedback have never driven a car with BCs.

For what it's worth, I decided to buy Godspeeds last year. I think $800 shipped brand new. No one would admit to having tried them so I figured what the hell, I might as well be the guinea pig!

I can report that they come with dampening adjustment and front camber plates just like the BCs do. I upgraded to BCs for the sole reason that I wanted to go lower. In fact, if you don't plan on totally slamming the car I would totally recommend them as a budget/mid price coilover.

Here was my car on Godspeeds, maxed out.

Here it is on BCs, maxed out but without Swift springs. These do go a bit lower and also ride great.

The following 2 users liked this post by benznotmercedes:
997ajk (06-09-2021), Dubber (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021 | 10:21 PM
Dubber
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by benznotmercedes
I would be willing to bet that those who have knee jerk negative feedback have never driven a car with BCs. These do go a bit lower and also ride great.
This!
Old 06-10-2021 | 03:53 AM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DEvans997
Hi Steve - Thank you for your input. I'm in the same exact position...non-PASM, not tracking the car, don't like the massive wheel gap of the base 997's and looking to change it. For the price of Bilstein B8's and H&R or Eibach springs, I could put on BC Racing BR coilovers. I just don't anything about how they actual drive, feel, etc. How would you compare them to the stock shock/struts and springs? The outside road noise coming in...wondering what that is from...you mention upper mounts aren't reused. Guess I'll be watching your videos. What would you say was the total install time including removal of old suspension?
My .2 cents. I was actually in the same boat a few months ago however my car is a 2006 S (with PASM)... that alone had a heavy influence on my decision.
I went the opposite route, I bought the Bilstein B8's (new) and H&R Springs (nearly new). The B8's were about the cost of the BC coilovers alone and I got the springs on a steal price (150$).

Pros:
Kept OEM specs/electronics (PASM)
Rides near stock with PASM on just a little tighter/lower
Absolute blast for street driving and canyon/forests with PASM off
Ride height dropped about 1.5-2.0 inches, which enough to make reasonably sized 19's look/fit perfect and 18's (with a bigger tire)
Resale value, and OEM/German approved parts/manufacture (personal preference)
Bilstein/H&R are Nurburgring tested..so, personal preference

Cons:
B8's costs as much as the BC coilovers and hard to find/get
Non adjustable, height is permanent
Stiffnes and height are fixed, so if you need more or less of anything youre screwed

My takeaway was, I come from JDM land... and I'm familiar with BC products, not saying they are bad, but they are in the market of creating obtainable products for the more reasonably priced drift/race cars. With that being said, if you just want the lows and driving around the street with aggressive cool wheels, BC is decent and priced at the point. Theyll get it done.

However, if you want anything more than that, I'd pass. Going that low with aggressive wheels puts lots of strain on older OEM parts and with a Porsche 911 I would'nt go that route. This is coming from someone with previous low/stanced/drift missiles and negative offset cars...

My 911 is for spirited driving and the occasional track/forest drives where speeds get spicey so I felt more confident with the B8/HR combo... also, keep in mind I wanted to keep PASM and going with 18' BBS wheels with a thicker tire for some driving (I live in Germany now)

Last edited by Vince Vincent; 06-10-2021 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2021 | 02:56 PM
TheMurse
Racer

I'm now one week in to the BC Racing coilover experience and I have to say I'm very pleased with them. Production and manufacturing delays pushed my mid-March order to a mid-June delivery but once available they were shipped direct from BC and arrived well-packaged and ready for install. The installation process itself was a bit of a learning experience as I made a couple of potentially costly mistakes. Each of my errors were of my own making and I was able to correct them without too much hassle. If you eliminate my mistakes, removal of the old struts and installation of the new coilovers totaled around 3 hours for the rears and 5 hours for the front. Now that I've had an alignment and a few days to live with the new suspension I'm impressed by 1. the build quality/materials 2. fitment 3. performance 4. adjustability. With the exception of subwoofer/rear carpet/insulation removal to access the rear strut tops the soft-hard damping adjustment is intuitive and easy. I tinkered with stiffness quite a bit, driving at all sorts of speeds and aggression levels, eventually settling on 15 clicks on the front and 14 on the rear. Spring pre-load is set by the factory for a specific application so I've left that alone while adjusting ride height is a simple matter of releasing a lock collar and threading or unthreading the upper and lower shock bodies. The ride is firm but comfortable, cornering grip has improved a touch, steering feel remains fantastic and I've not noted any additional NVH in the cabin. If you have a base car (no PASM) these are a great value I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
Old 06-24-2021 | 03:50 PM
Dubber
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TheMurse
I'm now one week in to the BC Racing coilover experience and I have to say I'm very pleased with them. Production and manufacturing delays pushed my mid-March order to a mid-June delivery but once available they were shipped direct from BC and arrived well-packaged and ready for install. The installation process itself was a bit of a learning experience as I made a couple of potentially costly mistakes. Each of my errors were of my own making and I was able to correct them without too much hassle. If you eliminate my mistakes, removal of the old struts and installation of the new coilovers totaled around 3 hours for the rears and 5 hours for the front. Now that I've had an alignment and a few days to live with the new suspension I'm impressed by 1. the build quality/materials 2. fitment 3. performance 4. adjustability. With the exception of subwoofer/rear carpet/insulation removal to access the rear strut tops the soft-hard damping adjustment is intuitive and easy. I tinkered with stiffness quite a bit, driving at all sorts of speeds and aggression levels, eventually settling on 15 clicks on the front and 14 on the rear. Spring pre-load is set by the factory for a specific application so I've left that alone while adjusting ride height is a simple matter of releasing a lock collar and threading or unthreading the upper and lower shock bodies. The ride is firm but comfortable, cornering grip has improved a touch, steering feel remains fantastic and I've not noted any additional NVH in the cabin. If you have a base car (no PASM) these are a great value I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
Great post. Hoping others who haven't owned BC Racing coils will read this.
The following users liked this post:
TheMurse (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021 | 04:57 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Still enjoying my BCs

I also have BCs on my E46 M3 and E46 touring. I've had them on other cars as well and never understood all of the hate they get from people that have never even touched them, let alone driven a car that has them installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve 911:
ATX_Native (07-26-2021), TheMurse (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021 | 06:08 PM
Bwoy1981
Racer

No complaints with my BC's either. Great setup for a daily.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bwoy1981:
ATX_Native (07-26-2021), TheMurse (06-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Any BC Racing Coilovers feedabck?