Sponsored by:

Sport adaptive vs GT3 carbon folding seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021 | 11:15 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Default Sport adaptive vs GT3 carbon folding seats

Hi
i was looking to get my sport adaptive seat back wrapped in leather from exclusive options along w the 911r inserts (thanks Frank for the temptation pics!) but the cost of them come really close to the GT3 carbon buckets which I also love.

i have never sat in the GT3 buckets and was hoping to get some real world fit/feel compares from fellow rennlisters

Also if anyone has pair of seats in the NYC area and would let me try I’m good for a coffee or a beer in return!

Might be helpful, I’m 6’3” 34” waist and 200lbs

all thoughts appreciated.
Old 05-05-2021 | 12:04 AM
NC997.2S
Rennlist Member

You'll want the sport adaptive seats, then. The GT3 buckets sit higher in the cabin than the Sports do, and so you'll lose headroom.
Old 05-05-2021 | 12:58 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC997.2S
You'll want the sport adaptive seats, then. The GT3 buckets sit higher in the cabin than the Sports do, and so you'll lose headroom.
True, but with aftermarket side mounts or by swapping in a thinner bottom cushion (they are only velcro'd in), headroom in the folding buckets can be made at least as good as any other seat, if not better.

The differences in feel, uprightness and ingress/egress should probably be larger considerations between these chairs rather than height.

Last edited by quickxotica; 05-05-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2021 | 01:28 AM
HeavyKnobs
Former Vendor

I have both.

I really like both, but feel that the sport adaptives are great 100% of the time with full adjustability. I absolutely love looking at my sport buckets, but they are much harder day to day and you have to taake much more care with them. They also aren't as adjustable, so for certain body types not ideal.

edit - I could also have three sets of adaptive seats for how much my buckets were. That's a tough one to swallow.

Last edited by HeavyKnobs; 05-05-2021 at 01:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021 | 02:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 9elvn
Hi
i was looking to get my sport adaptive seat back wrapped in leather from exclusive options along w the 911r inserts (thanks Frank for the temptation pics!) but the cost of them come really close to the GT3 carbon buckets which I also love.

i have never sat in the GT3 buckets and was hoping to get some real world fit/feel compares from fellow rennlisters

Also if anyone has pair of seats in the NYC area and would let me try I’m good for a coffee or a beer in return!

Might be helpful, I’m 6’3” 34” waist and 200lbs

all thoughts appreciated.
I've had the carbon fiber buckets in two 997's and wouldn't own a Porsche without them. They add a connectivity with the car that's hard to describe. Best I can think of is that you feel like you become part of the car rather than just sitting down on a seat. A little different to get in and out of but that becomes a non-issue after some practice. They wrap around you like no other Porsche seat but keep in mind that they only adjust forward and aft. That's it. No up or down or anything else. Also, some say they're terribly uncomfortable. I disagree. I think they're very comfortable and have done 300 mile trips in them feeling just fine.

Despite the lack of adjust-ability, I think they got it right though, at least for me and coincidentally I'm almost exactly the same build as you. 6'3", 34" waist and 201 lbs last time I weighed myself. Full aft they're almost perfect for me. I say almost since I could use just a bit more tilt backwards. This can be done by adding brackets/washers to the forward mounts. I haven't bothered since sliding forward a little in the seat compensates and brings it close enough to perfect for me.

NC997.2S mentions headroom. I suppose this could be an issue for someone with shorter legs and a taller upper body. Not something that ever crossed my mind though. Your biggest problem may be to find a set of buckets though. I don't see them in Suncoast's parts section anymore and used ones show up in the marketplace now and then but they're rare and they're snapped up quickly. If you come across a used set in good condition, be prepared to pay around $7,000.

Last edited by sandwedge; 05-05-2021 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2021 | 07:03 AM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I've had the carbon fiber buckets in two 997's and wouldn't own a Porsche without them. They add a connectivity with the car that's hard to describe. Best I can think of is that you feel like you become part of the car rather than just sitting down on a seat. A little different to get in and out of but that becomes a non-issue after some practice. They wrap around you like no other Porsche seat but keep in mind that they only adjust forward and aft. That's it. No up or down or anything else. Also, some say they're terribly uncomfortable. I disagree. I think they're very comfortable and have done 300 mile trips in them feeling just fine.

Despite the lack of adjust-ability, I think they got it right though, at least for me and coincidentally I'm almost exactly the same build as you. 6'3", 34" waist and 201 lbs last time I weighed myself. Full aft they're almost perfect for me. I say almost since I could use just a bit more tilt backwards. This can be done by adding brackets/washers to the forward mounts. I haven't bothered since sliding forward a little in the seat compensates and brings it close enough to perfect for me.

NC997.2S mentions headroom. I suppose this could be an issue for someone with shorter legs and a taller upper body. Not something that ever crossed my mind though. Your biggest problem may be to find a set of buckets though. I don't see them in Suncoast's parts section anymore and used ones show up in the marketplace now and then but they're rare and they're snapped up quickly. If you come across a used set in good condition, be prepared to pay around $7,000.
thanks that was very helpful!

on the cost, that was really what got me thinking since I wanted to update my sport adaptives (leather backs and 911r centers) the price of upgrading puts me right around a new set it gT3 seats from carnewel…. So that got my mind thinking

I’d love to sit in a pair before I commit to it. Are they all the same by year? Could I just go into a Porsche dealer and try a set from a new 911?

Old 05-05-2021 | 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The power adaptive sport seats are the all around best seat Porsche makes for support and comfort. They're actually more comfortable than the standard "comfort seats" and the only reason to get those would be in a .2 for the cooling feature - why they didn't offer this in the sport seats is a mystery. If you're preferred driving position happens to be the angle of the carbon buckets and you're not overweight, then they're great unless you're on a long trip. On a trip it's very nice to be able to adjust height, seat base angle, recline, etc to move the pressure load around, which yiu really can't do in the buckets.

Rather than leather on the backs, which would be awesome, maybe consider vinyl, which will be much cheaper. I've done this on 2 sets of the manual versions, a carbon fiber in one of my 928s and an exterior color match of pearl white in the other one. I have the full power versions in my 997 too and made an office chair out of another one - they're that good.

Last edited by Petza914; 05-05-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2021 | 11:05 AM
HeavyKnobs
Former Vendor

on the cost, that was really what got me thinking since I wanted to update my sport adaptives (leather backs and 911r centers) the price of upgrading puts me right around a new set it gT3 seats from carnewel…. So that got my mind thinking

I’d love to sit in a pair before I commit to it. Are they all the same by year? Could I just go into a Porsche dealer and try a set from a new 911?
Adding Pepita centers should be about $1500-2k max for a set of adaptive sport seats, and that's in expensive CA.

Not sure how your cost is coming out that hight, wherever you are.
Old 05-05-2021 | 11:06 AM
HeavyKnobs
Former Vendor

No, a new 911 has different, fixed buckets if you can find them. They're similar, but not the same as they actually have a sseat angle adjuster.
Old 05-05-2021 | 11:15 AM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HeavyKnobs
Adding Pepita centers should be about $1500-2k max for a set of adaptive sport seats, and that's in expensive CA.

Not sure how your cost is coming out that hight, wherever you are.
might be more expensive via exclusive options in CA but was quoted
To cover the backs and all the volcano grey on the seat that would be ~3800, inserts plus replacement of the bolsters is ~3k and the rears are about the same so 9800 for basically new sport adaptive seats.

I guess I could shop around locally and have someone just do the inserts but was really comparing new vs new

Old 05-05-2021 | 11:32 AM
HeavyKnobs
Former Vendor

might be more expensive via exclusive options in CA but was quoted
To cover the backs and all the volcano grey on the seat that would be ~3800, inserts plus replacement of the bolsters is ~3k and the rears are about the same so 9800 for basically new sport adaptive seats.

I guess I could shop around locally and have someone just do the inserts but was really comparing new vs new
That is outrageous. I will leave my comments out here about Exclusive Option and what they charge vs. a reputable local upholstery shop.

This guy did it for $1200 in CA:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ock-seats.html
Old 05-05-2021 | 11:54 AM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HeavyKnobs
That is outrageous. I will leave my comments out here about Exclusive Option and what they charge vs. a reputable local upholstery shop.

This guy did it for $1200 in CA:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ock-seats.html
I see you view, to me their pricing seems all over the place. Some things are a bargain and others are outrageous… I think the seats are in the outrageous category, I’m just starting my search I’m in NYC so there are not a lot of local options that I have found but if anyone on the forum has a recommendation for an upholster I’m the NY area I’m very open to ideas. I’ll probably save this for a winter project as I rather enjoy the car this summer

Quick Reply: Sport adaptive vs GT3 carbon folding seats