Sponsored by:

"Notchy" When cold (gearbox)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 11:27 AM
larrygk
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by texass4
Don’t go wasting money on a bunch of aftermarket stuff. This is just one of the reminders your car uses to keep you in check until all systems are go. This and the oil temp gauge.

Joking aside, I consider it a feature, not a flaw.
You're right. Back with my '06 Cayman S I learned that nothing went over 3k until H2O temp got to normal. I will take this opportunity to replace the cables though. Even when warm I don't like the overall feel. Had not heard of the Shift Right brand. Only about 50 bucks less than the Numeric. Anyway, PTX (gold $ in a bottle apparently) ordered.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:47 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by larrygk
You're right. Back with my '06 Cayman S I learned that nothing went over 3k until H2O temp got to normal. I will take this opportunity to replace the cables though. Even when warm I don't like the overall feel. Had not heard of the Shift Right brand. Only about 50 bucks less than the Numeric. Anyway, PTX (gold $ in a bottle apparently) ordered.
You want your oil at normal operating temp before you flog it, not water. Water gets there way before oil.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:20 PM
larrygk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
You want your oil at normal operating temp before you flog it, not water. Water gets there way before oil.
Understand that...small detail..no oil temp gauge in a 987.1 Cayman S.....So H2O temp plus 5 minutes did it.
Now I'm good with "real" gauges on the 997.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:40 AM
jibmaster1
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought my 09' C4S last September. The shifting was really poor. I went through and re-greased the shifter and installed FF cable ends. These made small steps in improving the feel and reducing the notchiness. However, after I looked through the stack of receipts I had from the PO, I noticed the shop that changed the trans fluid used Redline a few years ago. I've had no issues with RL in some early manual Audi's and VW's I owned. However, the best improvement happened a few months after I switched over to the factory PTX Porsche Fluid. The shifting progressively improved after putting about 1000 miles on the car. Now, I actually think it is really good!
The following users liked this post:
larrygk (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 11:18 AM
larrygk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jibmaster1
I bought my 09' C4S last September. The shifting was really poor. I went through and re-greased the shifter and installed FF cable ends. These made small steps in improving the feel and reducing the notchiness. However, after I looked through the stack of receipts I had from the PO, I noticed the shop that changed the trans fluid used Redline a few years ago. I've had no issues with RL in some early manual Audi's and VW's I owned. However, the best improvement happened a few months after I switched over to the factory PTX Porsche Fluid. The shifting progressively improved after putting about 1000 miles on the car. Now, I actually think it is really good!
Thanks,,,I ordered the PTX, No receipt from PO on that aspect so hopefully what was used was not PTX in the past. Wish I had a lift. I can do oil with the JackPoint Jackstands I've got but not this for a couple of reasons. So off to the Indy and will discuss either FF's or Numerics (about a $50 difference it appears).
Old 04-18-2021, 11:22 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 171K miles

Back when I did my PTX research, I found the two Porsche dealers near me used Delvac. They were totally unaware that spec'd right in our manuals was a different formulation oil.... PTX GL 4.5 is written right there. I assume it is noted in their procedure manuals too, although I am not sure of that. So... even if a dealer serviced the car does not mean they did the correct thing.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
larrygk (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 11:23 AM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

PTX and thorough clutch bleed did it for me, using stock cables. About 40% improvement from each. Clutch bleed ensures that between shifts, the clutch is completely disengaged, so that the cogs are not loaded up with residual torque transfer loads.

2006 C4 Cab-69K miles
larrygk (04-18-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 07:32 PM
wndsnd
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The transmission needs to warm up its fluid.. Remember it is something like 90 weight.. I think the recommendation by Prairiedawg is good advice. Though unrelated, it gives a good measurement of time.

I also noticed that when I let a friend try my car last week (I know, I know) ,He was shifting like an American car and just trying to slam the box, It took me a while to get him to slow the shift down, and feel it into gear.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:04 PM
RZau
Intermediate

Default PTX

Is the PTX oil worth it as my 2010 911 has this same issue? Hard getting into gear w/o a feel of spinning teeth once and a while and the notchiness all the time when cold. Once warmed up everything is like butter. Thanks in advance for any input.
Rob
tegraphile (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 12:27 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

Improved my initial notchiness with:

--Function First shift right kit
--PTX trans fluid replacement
--Function First engine mounts

Last edited by tegraphile; 09-08-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:44 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RZau
Is the PTX oil worth it as my 2010 911 has this same issue? Hard getting into gear w/o a feel of spinning teeth once and a while and the notchiness all the time when cold. Once warmed up everything is like butter. Thanks in advance for any input.
Rob
It's a simple enough change (drain and fill, accessible from the underside) with the potential to make a big difference. I think it's worth it.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 192K miles

I changed my motor mounts at about 100K miles as one was sagging a bit... did not effect shifting one bit and I had a jammed 1st gear for years before and after. Amazing how our experiences can differ. Same for my installation of the Numeric shifter... no difference in shifting (just a way better feel)... although I did not use the alignment tool, I just eyeballed it... but as I noted above, I can't see for the life of me how shifter position can affect anything.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Quick Reply: "Notchy" When cold (gearbox)?