Sponsored by:

Drain Plug crush washer, oops!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 12:04 AM
Porto911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Drain Plug crush washer, oops!

So last October when I got the old girl ready for winter hibernation and did my engine oil change and forgot to put the new crush washer back on before tightening it to specs and filled her up with 8 litres of oil. That’s when I noticed the new washer sitting there and old one with old filter, so plug is in now with no washer at all. It’s tighten to specs 19lbs on megnetic plug. Drove to a near buy gas station to top it up with fresh shell fuel and came home to park it over the winter months, checked for oil leaks or swelling and absolutely nothing. I’ve done numerous oil changes over the years and this is the first time it’s happened (dummy me)

so here I am ready to take it out shortly for the season, haven’t yet. So my question is how serious is this until my next oil change? I do a mid summer oil change annually, so 2000-2500 miles from now she’ll get a mid summer change. By monitoring this and if not leaking at all should I leave it or fix the problem now? There’s a good reason the washer is there in the first place.

if I must install the washer here are two options I can think of.

1) I do have a extra plug so pull off the exiting plug and Quickly install the extra one. I’m thinking it’s possible with losing 1 litre of oil or so and a little mess to clean up with brake fluid.

2) drain all oil into a super clean container, install washer and dump oil back in

3) just leave it

any options would be appreciated...

thanks

Old 04-04-2021, 12:56 AM
boris_gti
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

That washer is meant to be there. Better safe than sorry. Do you really want to look under the car for oil leaks every time you park somewhere?
Remember Porsche reliability saying?
Don't be that guy please.
Install the washer.

Go with option 1. You won't lose much of oil and it will be a quick clean up.

Last edited by boris_gti; 04-04-2021 at 12:58 AM. Reason: forgot to add content
Old 04-04-2021, 01:01 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,279 Posts

I wouldn’t worry about it. Just put some cardboard under it at night when you park it and monitor for drips. The crush washer is a sealing washer only. Without it, you may get drips but nothing catastrophic is going to happen.

as to your comment about cleaning up with brake fluid, I assume that was an April fools joke! That fluid should never be used for anything other than brake systems. It will strip paint.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:04 AM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Happened to me a couple times when I rushed my oil change. Mine never leaks even without the washer. The washer is there to prevent leak.

I would leave it alone if you don't see any leak or wetness on the drain plug. Just keep on eye on it for leaks or wetness.

Just remember to put the washer next time you change your oil.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:50 AM
Porto911
Instructor

*Brake cleaner not brake fluid...
The following users liked this post:
linderpat (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 06:38 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

With great big mining trucks, if they need to change a quickfill on the 2000 liter diesel tank, they use a component called an air relay, but configured in a way, when connected up to a compressed air supply, it turns into a perfect vacuum device.

Make sure all vent sources are blocked off, pull a vac on the tank, when they undo the plug, air goes in, nothing comes out! Change part, presto!

Vacuum works on full tanks, you don't have to resort to this...
Old 04-04-2021, 09:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

You will never successfully do the quick drain plug swap. If you want to reinstall the washer, go get a brand new bucket or drain pan that holds 9 qts, makes sure its really clean, drain the oil into that new container and put it back into the car once the plug with the washer is in place.

With the LN plug and the sump plate being aluminum, their expansion and contraction rate should be quite similar, so the risk of it leaking is less than if you were still using the dissimilar iron OEM plug.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
ATX_Native (04-06-2021), rtl5009 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 01:21 AM
Kechu
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts

After years of doing oil changes, I did the exact same thing on my last oil change.

If you have dextrous hands, you can do a swap! I did it.

Put on some rubbery gloves, as you do not want things slipping your hands. Also, get your car in place, and have the car as cold as possible for the operation (cold oil is better for this…)

Have somebody help you; you will need somebody to quickly grab the plug from your hand, put the washer and hand it back.

Once everything is in place, remove the plug with one hand, as soon as you can remove the plug, use a finger from your other hand to plug it. It won't be perfect, but it will do. Give the plug to your helper, and have them hand it back to you with the washer on; then do the switcharoo between your finger and the plug.

Honestly, I was hesitant about doing it, but managed to pull it off with less than 100ml of oil loss.
The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 03:08 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

So you pretty much haven’t driven the car at all since the October oil change. Might as well do a full oil change then.. it’s not like the engine oil was in the middle of ‘breaking in’.

I’d prepare for a full change, but I’d still attempt the quick-swap with a new plug+washer - don’t reuse the plug - it will save a second or two, but you’ll need those 😊
Old 04-05-2021, 02:47 PM
Porto911
Instructor

Thanks to all with the discussion,

I’ve decided to leave it alone for now, since there wasn’t a leak shortly after the oil change before parking it in October, I’ll keep a good eye on it and wait till mid summer for its next oil change. I have a URO anodized aluminum megnetic drain plug installed so that should help with preventing any leaks at all, as Petza914 mentioned..

“With the LN plug and the sump plate being aluminum, their expansion and contraction rate should be quite similar, so the risk of it leaking is less than if you were still using the dissimilar iron OEM plug.”

Can’t Waite to take it out very soon here!!

Quick Reply: Drain Plug crush washer, oops!