Sponsored by:

To Wrap or not to Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 11:55 PM
parhouse
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Default To Wrap or not to Wrap

Looking for some thoughts on a possible opportunity that has come my way. I have a good friend that is a distributor for a german company that sells wrap material to shops. In June , he will be showing at a car show like SEMA in Indy IN. He asked me if he could wrap my 2011 GTS at no charge to use it in the show. I initially said yes because it seemed like a great deal, but the more I think about it and talk it over with some friends the more I'm having second thoughts. He has offered to do the color of my choice and would remove it and put clear PPF on if I didn't like it. I also have a 2006 911S that I could give him that is silver, but I don't know much about wrapping a car and its effect on the value . Any thoughts or insights would be great. THX
Old 04-04-2021, 12:42 AM
boris_gti
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess the question here is.....do you like the color of your car?
If you feel like you could use the change the color, then go for it.
But remember, quality wraps cost money! And it costs to get them off once it's time. On top of that, you must hand wash your car every time (no touchless car wash).
Properly done, during the installation, the installers will remove bumpers, mirrors, door handles, spoilers, head lights, tail lights, etc. It takes time to do that properly without scratching the car, braking off clips, etc. And all this must be re-done during the wrap removal process as well.

How OCD are you? Can you live with wrap peeling in the corners (depending on who did the installation)?

It's your friend, so it's a tough decision. Especially after you already committed. Follow your gut.....maybe give him the car you least desire? Worst case scenario if everything works out, you like the least desired the car more LOL.....

Boris

Last edited by boris_gti; 04-04-2021 at 12:51 AM. Reason: forgot to add content
The following users liked this post:
roccocaiazza (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 01:07 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,279 Posts

That’s a big ask by your friend. Unless you were looking for a color change, I wouldn’t do it.as already stated, the car basically has to be taken apart to do it right, and that’s how things break. No way I’d risk it with my car. And when removing it, what if the paint gets damaged?
Old 04-04-2021, 05:44 AM
Spare
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some "advise" from someone who previously wrapped his BMW M2competition:
  1. Do you like a frozen/satin-type finish? Imo it is the only route to go with a wrap. I have never seen a glossy wrap, that manages to truly replicate the metallic aspect of a paint job. Mat wraps are not for a classy car such as a 911 (opinion only).
  2. Make sure you use a proper installer. A decent wrap will cost you between $3k-$4k due to the man-hours that need to be put into it.
  3. Inspect every crack and bolt before accepting the car, as the quality of a wrap is based on finish (you can't see the original paint shine through anywhere)
  4. I agree on the manual cleaning of the car. On the flip side -with the satin wrap at least- it seemd much more scratch-protected, or scratches didn't show through. With the hydrophobic coating on top, it was a joy to maintain.
  5. Yes, there are costs to remove the wrap ($500-$1000). I did it myself due to time constraints (covid lock down), but it was a pain to remove (heat gun is definitely mandatory and my fingers were burned).

In conclusion: I would entertain the thought if I wasn't 100% satisfied with the current color of the car and I had a specific wrap color in mind.
Alternatively, If you just want to have a change of color for a while, and your buddy is willing to go through a quality shop (on and off), what's the risk?
I loved it on my M2, because I never really liked the color I bought it in (Hockenheim Silver).

M2 in satin graphite grey

Last edited by Spare; 04-04-2021 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:50 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

I would like to try wrapping a spare center console in a satin/matte color matched, to replicate the soft touch paint look.

Or going for a matches respray, then a matte clear wrap over the top for protection and soft look.

Has any one tried this?
Old 04-04-2021, 08:15 AM
parhouse
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys, THX for your input. I love the color of the GTS, but the silver on the S does nothing for me. I alway hand wash the cars so that's no big deal. Love the color of the M, thats cool. I was thinking about a matte dark green or blue. I was thinking about selling the S, and the value with a wrap on it. Would buyers look at it like I was hiding something under the wrap?
Old 04-04-2021, 08:31 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by parhouse
...........Would buyers look at it like I was hiding something under the wrap?
I think without a doubt they would. If you do the S, that's probably not a bad idea if you aren't nuts about the color now. I think a mat green would be really cool, and would love to see that.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

If I was buying a car, I'd want the wrap removed to see what was being covered up. I have also never seen a wrap that looked as good as paint and don't like mattte wraps at all. Cars should be clean and shiny, not look like that have a layer of dust on them, which is what matte wraps look like to me. There is also risk of lifting the clear coat when it gets removed. You will also need to remove the OEM stone guards on the rear fenders to prevent the transition line from creating an air bubble there, and the risk of pulling the clear there on a 10 year old car is greater there.

​​​​​​I can see this becoming a problem between you and your friend if any part of it goes wrong.

Personally, if have no interest in this, but that's just me.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:26 AM
RABjr
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

I say you go for the free wrap!

First, you have one of the more subdued color that doesn't inspire you. This is a non-committed way to check if you prefer another hue.

Next, I agree with this advice and will repeat for my next point - don't look at your car as a financial investment. You are investing in automotive enjoyment and life satisfaction!

Get the free wrap! Put up some pics of what you went with!

Rick
Old 04-04-2021, 10:43 AM
ER911S
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts

As long as you confirm that the install shop knows what they are doing (not new in the business of wrapping), then why the hell not especially if your friend will pay for the removal and put PPF on it. I somehow have reservations on this as the material only will be at least $1K and labor to remove and put the PPF will be at least a week.
If it's a good friend, then just iron the detail up front but seems like this could be a great thing with little risk.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:51 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Wraps look cool on the outside. For a bout 6-9 months. Utter waste of money.

Wrapping some interior bits of course is OK.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:23 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,174 Posts

If it was my car - never.

The following users liked this post:
TommyV44 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 01:02 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

I say go for it if your car is garaged most of the time.

I WFH and my car is garaged, it sees 2-3 hours of exposure a week.

Plus it protects your paint.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

Gloss wraps look bad up close. The gloss vinyl texture looks like orange peel.

Satin wraps can look very good. I had a satin grey wrapped C63 coupe, several people thought it was paint.

Quick Reply: To Wrap or not to Wrap