Sponsored by:

Oh the Horror! Or maybe not so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 02:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Call the repair shop and talk with someone there and see what they say in terms of what they did...if they fixed it right then maybe like Sandwedge says. The price looks high to me but I do love GR cars so that would tug at my heart strings. These cars can be fixed.

If you get a good price and you like what the BS says...

Tom
That's what I would do too. Question of course is whether or not you'll get honest answers. With a car like this that's already been patched up, the only way to find out if it was done right or if it was just done to bring it back to looking good you really have to take it apart again to see what was done. Obviously not a practical or cost effective option.

So I think it comes down to price, accepting that resale will be somewhat of a challenge and willingness to live with a car that may or may not have been repaired as it should have been. Could have been done perfectly to the highest of Porsche's standards or to "different" standards.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:20 PM
ccbb
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I asked for before / afters / part list etc and just got the photos. I had a phone call with a Rennlist member who had visited the shop a few years ago and had purchased a 996 GT2 from the seller. He indicated that the seller does good work, has a Celette, etc and that his GT2 is working well and had inspected well with a third party during his PPI. He also noted that the seller is optimistic in his pricing, and quite stubborn. The seller didn't give much more info to me after I broached pricing, and fell back on "We do things right", which I am inclined to believe, but ultimately I'll be left holding the bag in the event I try to sell. I am certain 99% of people looking will close the listing upon seeing the "R" brand.

In any case, there is some good news here. A nice 997.1 c4 cab with 40K miles was listed at $36k in my home town which I felt to be a reasonable price. Thankfully I had all of my saved car scans bookmarked and found it in time. I was the first to test drive of many suitors. It was super clean, and was tight as a drum. I loved it, and shook hands with the agreement to purchase contingent on a PPI. Hopefully I'll be driving my first P car by mid-week next week. Woohoo!!! Thank you all for your guidance.

Last edited by ccbb; 04-03-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:25 PM
ccbb
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
Where is it? If it's near me, I'd love to have a look, and maybe I know the shop. I'm in the South Western part of the state, Pittsburgh
Hey It's eastern PA, pretty close to NJ so I think it's realistically very far for you. I try to make it into town every few years for PVGP - I went to CMU. Thank you Pat!
The following users liked this post:
linderpat (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 01:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by ccbb
I asked for before / afters / part list etc and just got the photos. I had a phone call with a Rennlist member who had visited the shop a few years ago and had purchased a 996 GT2 from the seller. He indicated that the seller does good work, has a Celette, etc and that his GT2 is working well and had inspected well with a third party during his PPI. He also noted that the seller is optimistic in his pricing, and quite stubborn. The seller didn't give much more info to me after I broached pricing, and fell back on "We do things right", which I am inclined to believe, but ultimately I'll be left holding the bag in the event I try to sell. I am certain 99% of people looking will close the listing upon seeing the "R" brand.

In any case, there is some good news here. A nice 997.1 c4 cab with 40K miles was listed at $36k in my home town which I felt to be a reasonable price. Thankfully I had all of my saved car scans bookmarked and found it in time. I was the first to test drive of many suitors. It was super clean, and was tight as a drum. I loved it, and shook hands with the agreement to purchase contingent on a PPI. Hopefully I'll be driving my first P car by mid-week next week. Woohoo!!! Thank you all for your guidance.
Great news and probably a better way to go. As you said yourself, owning an R branded car would probably be bothersome to some extent as opposed to knowing you own a clean car (pending a good and thorough PPI).

Quick Reply: Oh the Horror! Or maybe not so bad?