Sponsored by:

Dynaplug flat repair question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 07:46 AM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Dynaplug flat repair question

For those that carry a plug kit, do you also keep a pair of pliers in the car to pull out the offending debris? If so, what kind of pliers? I’m looking to get this kit and was wondering if I should carry any additional tools. Thanks.

http://www.dynaplug.com/pro_xtreme.html
Old 03-24-2021, 08:21 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

I bought one of those professional mushroom plug type kits at first and then realized it’s kinda heavy with all those metal parts and I was more familiar with how to use the traditional simple plug kits, so bought one of those and a small plier to pull out the nail/screw and called it a day.
The following users liked this post:
ewc (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 08:53 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 170K

I keep a cheap, $8 Harbor Freight pliers with bent tongs with my kit ..... I have used this plier to pull out nails/screws and you can grab, then roll the pliers over and lever out the offender. Works. Cheap.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...-pc-64081.html

BTW, I have use a Smitty tire repair kit with great results.... but I have had real problems repairing a tire that had a slender nail... getting one of those fat plugs into that little hole was a real challenge with just a push tool. I purchased that Dynaplug as it looks like, in a pinch, I can tap the plug in with a hammer (or whatever I have to use as a hammer) or, roll the car over the tool and ram 'er in. So now I have both kits.... from comparing, it looks like the Dynaplug is the superior product. I got the all-metal unit as ewc did. I have not used the Dynaplug yet.

BTW2 - I keep a little bottle of Elmers Rubber Glue in my kit as it acts as a lubricant to ease that bad boy into a tight one.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Hard to see, but these bend 90 degrees.... grab the little cht and then roll it over.... leverage... you can lift the world.

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-24-2021 at 08:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
Fullyield (03-27-2021), Rulaxin12 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:39 AM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Perfect, great tips, thanks Bruce!

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 170K

I keep a cheap, $8 Harbor Freight pliers with bent tongs with my kit ..... I have used this plier to pull out nails/screws and you can grab, then roll the pliers over and lever out the offender. Works. Cheap.

BTW, I have use a Smitty tire repair kit with great results.... but I have had real problems repairing a tire that had a slender nail... getting one of those fat plugs into that little hole was a real challenge with just a push tool. I purchased that Dynaplug as it looks like, in a pinch, I can tap the plug in with a hammer (or whatever I have to use as a hammer) or, roll the car over the tool and ram 'er in. So now I have both kits.... from comparing, it looks like the Dynaplug is the superior product. I got the all-metal unit as ewc did. I have not used the Dynaplug yet.

BTW2 - I keep a little bottle of Elmers Rubber Glue in my kit as it acts as a lubricant to ease that bad boy into a tight one.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Hard to see, but these bend 90 degrees.... grab the little cht and then roll it over.... leverage... you can lift the world.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:20 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

I’ve had a Dynaplug kit in my 2011 C2S for several years. Used it once on my SUV and does the job well. I also have the old style plugs as backup. I like the idea of the bent pliers.
ewc (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 11:42 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Bent pliers is a great idea. I like the DynaPlug, but only for small punctures (like a trim nail or drywall screw). In my experience the cheapie "rubber string" plugs work better/easier for the larger holes like framing nails or bolts.
ewc (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 04:23 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I use string plugs. Use the glue that goes with them to bond and seal the plug perminately. you always ream the hole to open it enough to get the plug in, and the glue lubs it.
Thats what she said.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:21 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 170K

Being able to hammer on the reamer may be the killer app for dynaplug. My problem has always been getting the reamer through the tire carcass. The ones with little screwdriver handles, forget it. Even the T-handle ones are very tough. And that’s on the Porsche; I can only imagine how hard it is getting through an off road tire.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:15 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

50 years ago when I was taught how to plug a tire I was instructed to rotate the handle as I pushed the plug in. Theoretically this made a better seal. And I never had an insertion problem. Of course we always reamed the hole first.

I generally prefer a pair of side cuts for extraction. But care is needed to avoid cutting the offending piece in half.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:30 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting thread. I am going to buy a plug kit, as there is a lot of construction going on where I live and several of my neighbors
have picked up nails.
Are you using the plugs as an emergency repair and then patching or replacing the tire?
Old 03-25-2021, 02:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsilnner
Interesting thread. I am going to buy a plug kit, as there is a lot of construction going on where I live and several of my neighbors
have picked up nails.
Are you using the plugs as an emergency repair and then patching or replacing the tire?
I patch and keep. I do not then take the tire to a shop and have them repair from the inside. Plugs have worked fine for me for years and years. Many disagree with me here... do some research.

If you get puncture in the sidewall... that is a new tire although plugging it should get you home. How close to the sidewall is another debate... for me, I pushed it close and had no issues.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-25-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:13 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

yes carry side cutter, wire cutter, dykes to grab and pull nails and screws its the only thing that will grab them
The following 2 users liked this post by OKB:
ewc (03-26-2021), Fullyield (03-27-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:25 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
50 years ago when I was taught how to plug a tire I was instructed to rotate the handle as I pushed the plug in. Theoretically this made a better seal. And I never had an insertion problem. Of course we always reamed the hole first.

I generally prefer a pair of side cuts for extraction. But care is needed to avoid cutting the offending piece in half.
I second the side cuts as it seems to be the best tool for the job.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:31 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by ewc
For those that carry a plug kit, do you also keep a pair of pliers in the car to pull out the offending debris? If so, what kind of pliers? I’m looking to get this kit and was wondering if I should carry any additional tools. Thanks.

http://www.dynaplug.com/pro_xtreme.html
Yes. Needle nose and regular pliers.
ewc (04-05-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 09:09 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 85 Posts

You guys use that as a repair method to be able to hit next repair possibility or do you leave it in until tire is ready to change?? I wonder how I would feel with that plug going fast....

Quick Reply: Dynaplug flat repair question