Sponsored by:

Photographing wide body’s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 12:11 AM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Photographing wide body’s?

I have a stupid question and my google skills are failing me.

How do you take a photo of a wide bodied car from the back and make it look correct?

Im sure it something to do with lenses but I have no idea where to start.

When I take a photo of my GTS from the back the proportions or perspective in the photo gets really weird and you literally can’t see the bit of body paneling between the tail light and wheel well.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:19 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 175 Posts

It does require some post-processing to selectively boost the dark areas without blowing out the highlights. Probably the best way is with a range mask in a tool like Lightroom that allows you to just touch certain areas, but shadow/highlights (boosting shadows) or just boosting the darks in curves will work too. I used range masks to bring back the details in the lower shaded parts in these.

The following users liked this post:
Kineticdg (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by maekwl
I have a stupid question and my google skills are failing me.

How do you take a photo of a wide bodied car from the back and make it look correct?

Im sure it something to do with lenses but I have no idea where to start.

When I take a photo of my GTS from the back the proportions or perspective in the photo gets really weird and you literally can’t see the bit of body paneling between the tail light and wheel well.
Not sure what the disappearing body paneling is about. What I've noticed though is that getting the angle just right makes a difference. To me that angle is from straight behind. Exactly straight. Just a little bit off and one side looks wider than the other. The attached picture of my long gone -06 C4S is my best effort so far but not spot on.

You can look at the rear view mirrors to see if you got it right. More mirror visible on one side than the other and you're off. On my picture, look carefully and you'll see just a bit more mirror on the left side than the right so the left rear looks a little wider than the right. Not by much but visible to my eyes. Nitpicking here...no discussion on that.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:14 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

/\/\/\/\/\/\ what he said!

Im no expert photographer, but it shouldnt be too hard. A few random pics I snapped with my phone

OK, I think I see what your talking about. Your pics are coming out more like the one below, but you would like it to look more like the ones above? Stand way back from the car, and take a high resolution shot. Then on your computer crop out the large background and keep the centre of the pic where the focus on the car. Im guessing you can get the same effect with a different lens, but this is the easy way to get less distortion of the image you are talking about with a close up.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:16 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Subject distance and focal length play a major role. The closer you are to the vehicle (if you are trying to capture the whole vehicle) the more you introduce barrel distortion.
Taking several steps back (further away) and zooming in (or using a longer lens) will give you a more natural image.

See a couple of good examples here:
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/06/...-focal-length/

Examples with my car / not a wide body but the principles apply irrespective:

Last edited by EMC2; 04-01-2021 at 08:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by EMC2:
dmpslc (03-29-2021), maekwl (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:10 PM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

From the rear as sandwedge said, and I think you have to be above it slightly, or have the camera tilted. To make it look widest you need to get some of the top part of the fender not just the back of it. It's one of the greatest automotive views there will ever be.
maekwl (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 01:55 AM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayzbird
It does require some post-processing to selectively boost the dark areas without blowing out the highlights. Probably the best way is with a range mask in a tool like Lightroom that allows you to just touch certain areas, but shadow/highlights (boosting shadows) or just boosting the darks in curves will work too. I used range masks to bring back the details in the lower shaded parts in these.

thank you for the idea of a bit of correction to being out the detail in black cars. I have a black car and while Im just trying to send some photos to my dad this will really show the detail.

the stance on your car is amazing.

Last edited by maekwl; 03-29-2021 at 01:57 AM.
tegraphile (04-11-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:02 AM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMC2
Subject distance and focal length play a major role. The closer you are to the vehicle (if you are trying to capture the whole vehicle) the more you introduce barrel distortion.
Taking several steps back (further away) and zooming in (or using a longer lens) will give you a more natural image.

See a couple of good examples here:
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/06/...-focal-length/
@EMC2 these we’re the terms & technique I needed. Thank you!

on the top pre you advise I was getting this “reverse fish eye” camera type effect making the car look distorted. From where I was standing and even forward of that my 2 camera brain was see the full shape but my 1 camera phone was not.

even in the terrible lighting of the bottom pic you can see wide body. That’s using your suggestion of standing back and zooming in.

thanks for the other advise.

EMC2 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 04:37 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 267 Likes on 175 Posts

Basically the smaller your lens number and closer you are to the car, the bigger the butt will be. Walk further and set lens to 80+ to get more accurate picture (which not always will be the the best
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 03-29-2021, 05:36 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Maybe you want to get a bit of an angle

Get a bit of an angle.

Last edited by etom; 03-29-2021 at 05:37 PM. Reason: image too big
Old 03-30-2021, 12:30 AM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

Longer focal length lenses from a medium distance. Minimum 85mm on a full frame 35mm sensor.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:30 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,342 Likes on 609 Posts

I've also noticed the phenomenon being discussed when trying to capture my GTS from behind.
Sometimes the front fenders of the car seems to shrink into a distorted caricature of a widebody 911.

But when you nail it, by accident or design, the straight on rear view of a fat-hipped 997 is very cool.

And sandwedge is correct- the side mirrors reveal any angular deviation- when they are evenly visible, the shot is exactly straight on.

The quarter rear shot is still my fave, though:

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 03-30-2021 at 11:41 PM.
maekwl (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 03:11 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Here's my contribution!

maekwl (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 04:14 PM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Here's my contribution!
Amazing color! What is it called?
TommyV44 (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 04:15 PM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the tips! My photos are already better and capturing the actual look and shape of the car.

Quick Reply: Photographing wide body’s?