Sponsored by:

Numeric shifter/cable questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 09:16 PM
Wes_997
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Numeric shifter/cable questions

Hi all, I had the Numeric short shift kit + cables installed on my 997.1 by a local shop and am noticing that there is quite a difference in force required to shift OUT of 2nd, and especially out of 4th (4th to neutral, 4th to 5th, 4th to 3rd all require a decent amount of force) vs shifting out of 1st, 3rd, 5th which requires probably 50% less force. Also when shifting into 1st, 3rd, and 5th the shift rod slams against the housing of the short shift assembly where as shifting into 2nd, 4th, 6th have ample clearance (see picture of rod hitting assembly when in 3rd). It seems like 1,3,5 positions have their furthest limit restricted by the rod hitting the housing and 2,4,6 have their furthest limit restricted from (forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this area) cable tension? This results in a noticeable difference in terms of noise/physical feedback when shifting into odd gears vs shifting into even gears. For others with the kit + cables has anyone experienced the same thing? Is there some adjustment that needs to be made to get the shift feel to be uniform between all gears or is this a case of "it is what it is" and I should just get used to the difference between 1,3,5 and 2,4,6? The shifter sits at a slight angle towards the driver's side and I remember reading that a little bit of lean is okay but could this be contributing to some of these issues? Should I try to adjust it to sit completely centered? Is it possible that the shift cables were not installed at the right length? Any input/advice greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Shift rod hitting assembly

neutral position

Last edited by Wes_997; 03-22-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:00 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

I have a slight imbalance also and I made sure that connection are the transmission side were balanced. I think there is a slight difference in the transmission of how it feels. I have the same condition in that 1/3/5 feel more direct than 2/4/6.

You can tweak the shift **** position at the shifter a bit to make it not hit
Old 03-23-2021, 12:47 AM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 576 Likes on 171 Posts

I’ll defer to others with greater expertise but this was not a condition I experienced when I installed my Numeric shifter. The lever should be vertical and your last photo seems to give away the cable adjustment as the culprit. You’ll want to correct this before you apply so much force that you damage the cables.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:54 AM
AxelR
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm experiencing the same thing as well with harder shifts out of 2/4/6. I took my car back twice to my Indy who took the time to make adjustments but it’s not perfect by any means. Definitely nothing like what everybody else is raving about.
Thinking about switching back to OEM...
Old 03-23-2021, 01:05 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 189 Posts

Had a similar thing with my cable install, except my issue was that 2/4/6 almost seemed a bit "short," like it wasn't pushing the gear selector quite as far as 1/3/5. I had to take it back for a couple more hours of fiddling to get them to feel about even. I love the transformation in shifting feel but it kind of makes me wish the cables were just built to the OEM length and not adjustable, that adjustability I think opens you up to these sorts of install issues.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:41 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Had a similar thing with my cable install, except my issue was that 2/4/6 almost seemed a bit "short," like it wasn't pushing the gear selector quite as far as 1/3/5. I had to take it back for a couple more hours of fiddling to get them to feel about even. I love the transformation in shifting feel but it kind of makes me wish the cables were just built to the OEM length and not adjustable, that adjustability I think opens you up to these sorts of install issues.
yep. Like 2/4/6 doesn’t go far enough but I know for a fact that the travel is correct because I had my car up on my lift and manually shifted at the transmission to see if it was a travel issue and it was not.

I felt it significantly more when I had the shift **** off and was shifting. Drove like that for a few weeks. With the shift **** on it mostly goes away but I know it’s there. May fiddle with it some more in the summer as my center console has to come out for yet another color change.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:18 AM
AxelR
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
yep. Like 2/4/6 doesn’t go far enough but I know for a fact that the travel is correct because I had my car up on my lift and manually shifted at the transmission to see if it was a travel issue and it was not.

I felt it significantly more when I had the shift **** off and was shifting. Drove like that for a few weeks. With the shift **** on it mostly goes away but I know it’s there. May fiddle with it some more in the summer as my center console has to come out for yet another color change.
Had the same issue which once fixed turned into the issue that I mentioned earlier and that the OP is experiencing.
There might be a sweet spot...
Old 03-23-2021, 07:20 AM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 66 Posts

I had a similar issue, took some time and work but mine shifts flawlessly now. A few things to check that caused my indy a world of pain and trouble.
1- make sure the cables are oriented correctly 1’s in the front and 2’s in the rear (they are labeled by the attachment points)
2- make sure you have the 1L and 1R in the right place. ( left/right) mine had the wrong attachment points connected from numeric
3- check the gear movement before taking it off the lift there is a lot of adjustment in the rear and a decent amount up front by the shifter.

it should shift much better than you’re describing. I would say shifting from 2nd to 3rd is perfect in my car
Old 03-23-2021, 07:29 AM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 145 Posts

2nd to 3rd is actually my favorite shift with Numeric shifter and cables. I had a shop that does a lot of Porsches and has experience installing Numeric shifter to perform the installation because I knew I'd screw it up if I did it myself.
Try contacting Numeric Racing directly. They should be able to help. Their customer service is pretty good.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:55 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

It looks like it’s not aligned properly in neutral and that will cause you all kinds of problems with feel.

Last edited by rtl5009; 03-23-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:45 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,534 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by rtl5009
It looks like it’s not aligned properly in neutral and that will cause you all kinds of problems with feel.
Yes, in neutral without your hand on the stick, the stick should point straight up. If it does not, then the cables are not adjusted properly. You can adjust at the shifter.... pretty easy to do. I adjusted mine just by sight.... I installed only the shifter and not the cables myself. I would start with this as it is the easiest to deal with.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-23-2021, 12:34 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Yes, in neutral without your hand on the stick, the stick should point straight up. If it does not, then the cables are not adjusted properly.
As long as the central shift shaft clears all of the surrounding surfaces inside the mechanism, there is no issue with having the stick canted towards the driver, less reach puts center of the shift effort closer to the driver's core.

If there is clashing contact inside the shift mechanism, as shown by OP, leave the lever in the offending position and adjust the length of responsible "outer" until suitable clearance between the clashing parts is achieved.

Recheck clearances in all positions after adjustment.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:49 PM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 161 Posts

Is the consensus that this isn't necessarily an issue when using OEM cables (adding FF linkages) more an issue with dialing in the numeric cables? I ordered the numeric shifter and now wondering what type of feedback I need to give my shop, even though they work on a ton of P cars.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:06 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie
Is the consensus that this isn't necessarily an issue when using OEM cables (adding FF linkages) more an issue with dialing in the numeric cables? I ordered the numeric shifter and now wondering what type of feedback I need to give my shop, even though they work on a ton of P cars.
Same boat and would love to hear responses. Given how beloved these shifters and cables are, I was a bit surprised to hear how much trouble a few of you have had.
The following users liked this post:
larrygk (03-31-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 05:20 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie
i think any shop can do it that has worked w p-cars, the hard parts were routing the cables through the factory bushing, the rest goes smoothly as log as you line up the cables from the start (front has to be 1L&1R and the rear 2L&2R) the cables adjust similar to stock cables so someone who knows how to do it should be able to handle it

my issue was purely a miss labeled/bundle cable set which cost my indy a lot of wasted time but once we figured that out and spoke to numeric over the phone the 3rd install went easy.

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter/cable questions