Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Ease of theft / tracker (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 04:45 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 Ease of theft / tracker (UK)

Hi all. I am about to buy a 997.2 and I am just wondering how easy are these cars to steal? In my area, recently there have been lots of reports of sophisticated thieves using jamming devices and capturing the key fob signal to steal cars. Is this something I realistically need to worry about? I have an alarm system in my house so not worried if someone breaks in for my keys.

Also, am I right in thinking that all 997.2s came with a porsche tracker fitted and I should just be able to activate that when I get it and pay a subscripton?
Old 03-21-2021, 04:57 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

That would be news to me here in the US. Not aware of a tracker on my 2010 C2S.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:33 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

Buy an MT6 car, sorted.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:46 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Per my understanding, what you are discussing involves cars with Keyless Go where your key stays in your pocket to unlock the doors and start the motor. I do not know of any 997.2 cars with this option.

If you are nervous, buy a steering lock (obstruction) bar as a deterrent. Then always make sure the steering wheel is well off center when you lock your car.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:37 PM
YT61MH
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks very much for the replies.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

If you are nervous, buy a steering lock (obstruction) bar as a deterrent. Then always make sure the steering wheel is well off center when you lock your car.
Don't they just freeze the extending part of those bars with liquid nitrogen and shatter them.

Get Agreed Value insurance that covers the true value of the car and hope for the best. You could also wire in some kind of hidden defeat switch that cuts power to the DME or fuel pump or some other critical component.

Last edited by Petza914; 03-22-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:01 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Don't they just freeze the extending part of those bars with liquid nitrogen and shatter them.

Get Agreed Value insurance that covers the true value of the car and hope for the best. You could also wire in some kind of hidden defeat switch that cuts power to the DME or fuel pump or some other critical component.
I did a lot of work with liquid nitrogen in college. What you are saying is possible. But seems like a lot of work.

There have been a lot of catalytic converters stolen in the San Francisco Bay Area lately (across the entire country for that matter but mostly in port cities). Mostly on Prius cars and F250 trucks.

So after being victim once to the cat theft on the F250, I have bars welded on to protect the new one.

There have also been a lot of F250 trucks stolen as well.

The steering wheel bar seems to be the fix regarding total theft. Since people have been using them the thefts appear to have been thwarted.

But like a barking dog, it's only a deterrent.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I did a lot of work with liquid nitrogen in college. What you are saying is possible. But seems like a lot of work.

There have been a lot of catalytic converters stolen in the San Francisco Bay Area lately (across the entire country for that matter but mostly in port cities). Mostly on Prius cars and F250 trucks.

So after being victim once to the cat theft on the F250, I have bars welded on to protect the new one.

There have also been a lot of F250 trucks stolen as well.

The steering wheel bar seems to be the fix regarding total theft. Since people have been using them the thefts appear to have been thwarted.

But like a barking dog, it's only a deterrent.
Neither my 914 or either of my 928 have cats anymore - now I can make the case it was to prevent damage and theft. They'd actually do me a favor if they'd cut out the one in my GMC pickup so I could just weld in a straight pipe as I can hear the material rattling inside at just the right rpm.

I wonder what a set of cats is with die the metal inside. I've done a secondary cat delete on my Cayenne and dont plan to ever reinstall them. If they're worth a couple or a few hundred dollars maybe I'll take them to the metal recycler.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Ease of theft / tracker (UK)